Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are there any WDW resorts that you would not stay in again or refuse to even try?

For me it is the Grand Floridian..

I know it does not apply to all the people the stay there but the reason I refuse to ever stay at GF is that when we have looked around the place and such the some of the clientel we have talked to and heard act like we were beneath them because we were not rich like them. Really turned me off of the place and I would rather not spend my vacation around those kind of people. Now as I said I know that is not all the guest.. I doubt it is even the majority but every single time we have been at GF for something we have had this experience. So no.. I would rather stay away from that place with a 10 foot pole.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

Re: Are there any WDW resorts that you would not stay in again or refuse to even try?

It sucks that you had a bad experience at the GF. However, other people shouldn't affect your vacation because they think of you differently.

In regards to your question, we have stayed on Disney property 2 times (Port Orleans Riverside and Wilderness Lodge) and we did not have any issues. We are staying at the Caribbean Beach Resort in April so we will see how that goes.

Re: Are there any WDW resorts that you would not stay in again or refuse to even try?

I would have a very hard time justifying how much Disney charges for GF anyways.. Its a beautifully made resort but I don't see a big enough difference to justify the rate they want.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    For me it is the Grand Floridian..

I know it does not apply to all the people the stay there but the reason I refuse to ever stay at GF is that when we have looked around the place and such the some of the clientel we have talked to and heard act like we were beneath them because we were not rich like them. Really turned me off of the place and I would rather not spend my vacation around those kind of people. Now as I said I know that is not all the guest.. I doubt it is even the majority but every single time we have been at GF for something we have had this experience. So no.. I would rather stay away from that place with a 10 foot pole.
    Just out of curiosity what gave you this vibe that people thought they were "above" you? Could it have been taken out of context? I just cant believe people would be condescending when youre all staying in the same hotel having pretty much the same vacation. Not saying it didnt happen lol, just curious as to how people could be so low.

For me, I love all the hotels but the Contemporary has slipped in quality the most....Bay Lake Towers is also shoddy on service, but I still stay there. While I love the GF as a hotel, Ive noticed Citricos and Narcoosee's unfortunately faulter in quality as well. At least Victoria and Alberts is still great though.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I had a WDW goal, about someday staying at all of the WDW hotels, at least once in my life. Then I went to Disneyland, and my husband and I bought a timeshare in Wisconsin Dells. So my dream got sidetracked. I have stayed at:

The Contemporary
    The Polynesian
    The Grand Floridian
    The Beach Club
    Port Orleans Riverside
    Coronado Springs
    Caribbean Beach
    Pop Century

I enjoyed each and everyone of my vacations, and felt perfectly comfortable at all of the hotels. My stay at the Grand Floridian was just a few nights, but it was really nice being on the Seven Seas lagoon, and being so close to the Magic Kingdom.

I may get back to my WDW goal someday, but right now I am enjoying my new goal of going to Disneyland as often as possible.

• #bringevilback

I stayed at Pop century and it was okay! I didn't have high expectations but when I got back one afternoon at 2:30 to find my room not cleaned. It was frustrating to not have clean towels to shower but ultimately I just needed a place to crash at night and it served it's purpose. I don't think I'll ever go back, but if I did i would be open to staying there again. If I was looking for a more "resort" setting and planned time to hang around I would go moderate or deluxe, but not for a park-centric vacation

Like cars, everyone is going to have their preferences influenced by their prior experience. Mine is influenced by my belief the WDW *IS* the Monorail. Therefore, I'm more concerned with the resorts on the line. That said, every resort has it's own vibe. Yes, the Grand Floridian's is "Stick up the butt". And the Contemporary has slipped. And don't get me started on all the Sister Wives at the Poly...

Quote Originally Posted by TylerDurden View Post
    Just out of curiosity what gave you this vibe that people thought they were "above" you? Could it have been taken out of context? I just cant believe people would be condescending when youre all staying in the same hotel having pretty much the same vacation. Not saying it didnt happen lol, just curious as to how people could be so low.

For me, I love all the hotels but the Contemporary has slipped in quality the most....Bay Lake Towers is also shoddy on service, but I still stay there. While I love the GF as a hotel, Ive noticed Citricos and Narcoosee's unfortunately faulter in quality as well. At least Victoria and Alberts is still great though.
    I have never stayed at the GF but we have visited it.. It's just a vibe we got from conversations with people at the bus station.. When they were talking about the richy stuff they do and all and could tell we could not relate they just kind of smerked and then ignored us.. As I said its not the majority of people.. I am sure most are wonderful guests but I dont feel this way at any other resort... So I just wont stay there... lol

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I love to visit the lobby at the Grand Floridian. It's a nice place to go if you need a break, and you don't want to get the bus for your own hotel. I have many times been at the Magic Kingdom, and I would take the monorail over to the Grand Floridian, and just rested in one of their great chairs, and listened to the piano player. I never felt out of place.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    I have never stayed at the GF but we have visited it.. It's just a vibe we got from conversations with people at the bus station.. When they were talking about the richy stuff they do and all and could tell we could not relate they just kind of smerked and then ignored us.. As I said its not the majority of people.. I am sure most are wonderful guests but I dont feel this way at any other resort... So I just wont stay there... lol
    Thats a shame that people are like that. At the end of the day no matter where you stay, everyone is trying to have a good time at a theme park the enjoy. And honestly, for the price you pay, The Grand Floridian is a bit overrated so the joke is on them.

• Resident of the Caldera

Avoid Saratoga Springs. The place is like a cheap motel: all painted stucco and metal on the outside. Hated it the two or three times I've stayed there. Never again!
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

Earlier this February we stayed at Port Orleans Riverside- the bus situation was terrible! Every night, all week, when attempting to get back to our hotel, we had to wait in line for half an hour to be packed on buses with very, very little space to breathe. Also, there's nothing more aggravating than seeing another resort bus go to a completely empty line while you've been standing for what feels like a lifetime.
    It was a beautiful hotel, but we won't be staying there again without a car!

Will never stay at the animal kingdom again. Way to far from everything, and too epensive considering the lack of animals we saw. For the price they should have had animals chained out where you could see them or used cattle prods to move them from the back where we were told they liked to hide.

• Nutty about Disney parks

As much as I like the moderate resorts, I do think they have the worst layout out of all the resort categories. Having a lake in the center with the resort buildings surrounding it may seem nice but it is horrendous for those wanting to walk to the main lobby or the nearest bus stop. The sole exception to this is PO: FQ.

I know that the layout for Old Key West and Saratoga Springs are just as horrendous, if not even worst. However my assumption with this resorts was that since they're all-villa resorts, most guests who stay there would bring their own car.

If you are a guest not relying on a car, it's a horrible idea to have you resorts and rooms spread out to the lengths that some of WDW's resorts do.

We've stayed at Riverside and Old Key West a couple of times, along with AKL.

We have an offer in for AKL right now, although it isn't my favorite. I'm sure we'll try to use our points over at Polynesian if we can find a low-occupancy time to do so.

It seemed that our villas at Riverside and OKW were always convenient to bus stops, which had a constant stream of transportation at peak hours. About a fifty-fifty shot that you'd find your bus waiting there or wait twenty minutes as multiple water park buses came and went. I really like OKW and Riverside filled-the-bill in a pinch. To me, the spread-out villa style resort is more resort-like than the tower experience.
    ~ Erik

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast