Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What happened to the Haunted Mansion?

My son just got back from a trip to WDW with his school, and he said that the ending of the Haunted Mansion ride was "disappointing" and "not very Disney." Apparently the animated hitchhiking ghosts were replaced with a stagnant "floating" ghost effect that was really cheap.

Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere (I searched but couldn't find anything)...but does anyone know what happened?

Re: What happened to the Haunted Mansion?

Quote Originally Posted by dilone View Post
    Apparently the animated hitchhiking ghosts were replaced with a stagnant "floating" ghost effect that was really cheap.
    er no, other way around. the classic "following ghost on a stick" effect was replaced by CGI animated ghosts in the mirrors that now mess with the image of the guests, one or two years ago.

are you sure he didn't go to Disneyland and think he was at the same place lol, because California still has the original effect.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by Commander Corn View Post
    er no, other way around. the classic "following ghost on a stick" effect was replaced by CGI animated ghosts in the mirrors that now mess with the image of the guests, one or two years ago.

are you sure he didn't go to Disneyland and think he was at the same place lol, because California still has the original effect.
    Yep, I was just at WDW and the ghosts are so fun! They bounce around the doom buggy, me head in a bubble, tossing it like a ball. The buggy behind my had their heads swapped. DLR is just the plain boring ghost in the middle

•   
    • Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

I'll leave the comments about the HHG differences alone (I'm a HM purist) and say that when the CGI ghosts go down the effect is replaced with the floating ghost effect.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Heavy Breather

I personally prefer the original effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    I'll leave the comments about the HHG differences alone (I'm a HM purist) and say that when the CGI ghosts go down the effect is replaced with the floating ghost effect.
    That must explain it...although he said that the replacement effect was pretty lame, not even as impressive as the original/Disneyland version. Sounds like they were just floating in front of the doom buggy...not even sitting in it.

Not that it's a big deal, was just curious. We personally love the new effect when it's working.

• former CM

I'm looking forward to seeing the new ghosts at the Magic Kingdom and like having differences between WDW and Disneyland, as long as they aren't bad like the (RIP) Tiki Room: Under New Mgt.

So how often are these new ghosts not working?

The new ghosts are FAR from cheap.. They are a big upgrade.. I dont know how having the ability to swap riders heads could be considered cheap...
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Attic Haunt View Post
    Really, I didn't 't know that. Does anyone have a video of the new effect's breakdown mode. I had always assumed the room behind the mirrors for the "ghost-on-a-stick" effect now housed the servers for the new effect.

"You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to."

Robin Williams
    July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014

The new effect is the Hitchhikers either sitting in with you, or actually sitting on top of the DoomBuggie, they are more animated, and even "switch your faces" with the other person sitting next to you. It's an interesting effect. The new Hitchhiking ghosts I would imagine are far from cheap.

I went digging to see if I could find such ghosts that "float" and I got this: Haunted Mansion's temporary hitchhiking ghost projections at Walt Disney World - YouTube

This was posted in Oct 2013. I've been on the ride before this video was shot and after and was able to see the actual new Hitchhiking ghosts (and these aren't it in the video). I'm assuming this might have been what your son saw and maybe this happens when the ride breaks down?

• Metro-Retro Historian

It looks like a back up mode to me since it's the effect that was used while the new effect was being developed. I personally find the CGI ghosts to be less interactive than the original Pepper's Ghost effect.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

I don't have a preference between the two. However, I find the new version to be more animated and interactive due to the fact that with the CGI they can move the characters more freely and they switch your faces. Where as the original, they would just be sitting with you, while only moving a little. In the end though, I love both versions.

I personally wish that if the new version broke down, that instead of doing the "floating ghost" effect, that they would be able to use the original Pepper Ghost effect. That way you'd be getting the same thing, only different, because I agree that the "floating ghost" effect is kind of disappointing.

• Closed Account

What happened is that sometime in the last decade, WDW and MK became overtaken by D-List Imagineers who think they were actually talented and needed to do projects to justify their existsance at WDI. So thinking that Walt and WED's own creations are lame and old hat they proceeded to "modernize" all the classics. So now you have Toontown-esque playgrounds at the entrance to the HM and Looney Toons CGI ghosts that are anything but creepy and foreboding......

The animated effect wasn't up the last time I visited and we saw the maquette version, where the ghosts track in time with the doombuggy, but I didn't see any animation (e.g., turning heads) that is on the original Disneyland version. I like the fully animated effects. The first time I realized they switched the rider's heads, it really amazed me!
    ~ Erik

Quote Originally Posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    What happened is that sometime in the last decade, WDW and MK became overtaken by D-List Imagineers who think they were actually talented and needed to do projects to justify their existsance at WDI. So thinking that Walt and WED's own creations are lame and old hat they proceeded to "modernize" all the classics. So now you have Toontown-esque playgrounds at the entrance to the HM and Looney Toons CGI ghosts that are anything but creepy and foreboding......
    I think the reason why Disney has "D-list Imagineers" might be the fact that whenever they have good ones they decide to get rid of them and they end up going to Universal.

At least, that's what I'm assuming since I've heard that Disney has a habit of getting Imagineers, not really keeping them on, and eventually letting them go. Or at least that's what's been happening since Walt has left, hence the fact that Universal seems to be always making new technology and bringing new technology onto their rides. They got Bob Gurr and other former Disney Imagineers.

However, as for "modernizing" the rides, I think Walt would want that to happen. Remember, "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world." While this isn't DL, but WDW, Walt wanted to continue to grow, advance technology, and was always fascinated with the future. I personally do not agree with everything needing to be projected and while you may not like the new Hitchhiking ghosts, Walt would more than likely have no problem with modernizing classics.

Also, I don't think the Hitchhiking ghosts are meant to be "creepy and foreboding". Besides, they use the same characters only they're more animated in their movements and switch faces. The only thing that has changed is the movement, not characters. Also, to me, they look as if they were created by G
    racey, who wanted HM to be more fun and humorous. Crump, who wanted it to be creepy and scary, focused more on the first half of the ride, hence why it seems more spooky in the beginning.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast