Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Disney World Raising Ticket Prices Again....

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    ....and yet people keep buying bread and milk

It's called inflation and it is everywhere. People have had millions of ideas and have tried to stop it for hundreds of years and it is still going strong.

If you can or anyone else here can't stay having to pay a few extra dollars this year to go to Disney, more power to ya, and while I will look forward to the crowds thinning out...... hahah... I will gladly throw in a few more dollars like I have every time I've gone to the parks..... no matter which one, as they all do it.
    I can't say that I see that...this is price gouging simple as that, I don't mind paying for the premium experience that I get at Disney, but I don't see enough value in EPCOT, DHS, AK to warrant a price tag of over 100$ a day with taxes...

Disney has sold and priced itself as a premium experience, and it is great I enjoy myself tremendously down there, but if you think I'm going to pay 600$ for 3 days in the parks when 3 of the parks are half or 3/4 day experiences Disney and you are out of your minds...My salary is good and I get paid very well, according to the Government I'm supposedly on the cusp of the upper class with just my salary. I don't see enough of a value in a day in the parks to justify that cost.

Another thing is that this consistent price gouging has left a sour taste in my mouth. The Walt Disney Corporation is going to have to EARN my dollars again in their parks, right now the way they're going that's going to take quite awhile.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    . . . It's called inflation and it is everywhere. People have had millions of ideas and have tried to stop it for hundreds of years and it is still going strong.

If you can or anyone else here can't stay having to pay a few extra dollars this year to go to Disney, more power to ya, and while I will look forward to the crowds thinning out...... hahah... I will gladly throw in a few more dollars like I have every time I've gone to the parks..... no matter which one, as they all do it.
    Was it just due to inflation when Michael Eisner and Frank Wells almost doubled park admission prices in just two years? Inflation in the U.S. was "going strong" (around 14%) in the late 70s, but in recent decades it has often been closer to just 3%, while in many of those years Disney park admission prices have increased by a much higher % than that.

Maddogjoe, perhaps you could be a little more sensitive to the reality that for some parents, not being able to afford Walt Disney World is a bit like calling off a birthday party or Christmas. I'm glad you're able to "gladly throw in a few more dollars," but for some families these increases--
    which have far outpaced inflation in many years--actually hurts.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 02-25-2014 at 06:19 AM. Reason: I misunderstood the "ha ha." Sorry.

• former CM

The reality is is that Disney wants to push people towards buying a multi-day pass which in most cases brings the average price down to around $70 per day. I'd really be interested to know how many 1-day/1-park passes Disney actually sells. I would think it is very few which is why this sort of price increases matters very little to most people. It just sounds good for the press, bloggers, etc. to say "Disney Raises Prices....AGAIN!".

• Inappropriate

Hold on. Who goes to WDW for ONE day? Not very many people. Most people visit the World on a lengthy vacation, and we all know that the tickets get cheaper the longer you stay. 5 days is a solid average stay, and staying 5 days puts the adult theme park ticket price at $60 a day. Suddenly it's not so bad. And let's not forget, Disney is a company. Lawdy lawdy save us all when they try to turn a profit!

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

Was it just due to inflation when Michael Eisner and Frank Wells almost doubled park admission prices in just two years? Inflation in the U.S. was "going strong" (around 14%) in the late 70s, but in recent decades it has often been closer to just 3%, while in many of those years Disney park admission prices have increased by a much higher % than that.

Thank you for the smart responses Dapper Dan, ORD84, and Tomorrowland1975.

Maddogjoe, perhaps you could be a little more sensitive to the reality that for some parents, not being able to afford Walt Disney World is a bit like calling off a birthday party or Christmas. I'm glad you're able to "gladly throw in a few more dollars," but your "haha" is inappropriate given that for some families this actually hurts.

--Tom Sinsky
    If a family can't afford a few more dollars to go to the park then maybe a Disney Vacation shouldn't be a priority? After all what is a trip to Disney? A frivolous waste of money. A house, or a car you can justify spending large amounts of money on but a vacation?

My first visit to WDW was in 1980 when I was in bootcamp for the Navy. Vacation up until then was saving up enough money for gas (what was it less than a dollar a gallon back then?) to make the 90 minute trip to the beach for the day with a packed lunch.

The only thing of value you get from a vacation is memories. Of course some of my best memories are those long days at the beach when I was a kid. Now I get to make them with my family at Disney. For more memories a few dollars more seems like a fair price.

All of you "economist" looking for returns on those extra few dollars are kidding your self. Why would 6 new coasters be worth a bigger admission price? Sure you could justify the spent money better in your mind as "at least we got some new coasters", but is that going to make the memories any better?

I pay the admission because I enjoy going to the parks and having fun with my family. And the "hahah" in my other post was to point out that the crowds will NOT be any smaller. They will continue to fill the park with ease even with the raised price. It isn't going to stop people from coming, much like the larger price for bread, milk, gas.....

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Hold on. Who goes to WDW for ONE day? Not very many people. Most people visit the World on a lengthy vacation, and we all know that the tickets get cheaper the longer you stay. 5 days is a solid average stay, and staying 5 days puts the adult theme park ticket price at $60 a day. Suddenly it's not so bad. And let's not forget, Disney is a company. Lawdy lawdy save us all when they try to turn a profit!
    EXACTLY ! Unless you own and operate a business, whether small or large, operating cost have risen in every category you can think of. Since Barry took the Whitehouse, , fuel prices has almost doubled. Food prices are jumping up, and its not the farmers getting the boost. I can understand how those who save and save to go, but those are the ones who buy the multi day passes. Watch, USO will raise their prices, too, within a month . All the crap going on with our crooked government, kaos running rampant in the world, and CNN finds time to report on this.LOL . Bottom line is, don't like the price, don't go. Your the consumer. When the attendance goes down, they will get the message, but it wont.

• Pinching Pennies

Disney continues to punish people who opt for shorter term vacations - 1 or 2 days. I see how they want to keep people on property for as long as possible but for some people that may want a one day trip it's becoming very unaffordable.

I always preach to purchase your tickets as far in advance as possible. It's not a matter of if but when ticket prices will go up again.
    Money saving tips for your next Disney vacation http://wwww.FrugalMouse.com

Quote Originally Posted by DisneySam View Post
    The reality is is that Disney wants to push people towards buying a multi-day pass which in most cases brings the average price down to around $70 per day. I'd really be interested to know how many 1-day/1-park passes Disney actually sells. I would think it is very few which is why this sort of price increases matters very little to most people. It just sounds good for the press, bloggers, etc. to say "Disney Raises Prices....AGAIN!".
    That's great for them that they wish to see multi-day trips and I understand they are a business to make money but right now since I don't have kids, I tend to try and take 3 shorter 1 to 3 night trips so that I can see more and spread my vacation time more throughout the year...

I work for an airline part time now and that allows me to do this more economically, but I tend to go to Orlando at least once a year, staying usually at the DVC timeshare that I pay for...I don't see enough value in the magic to warrant just one day in the parks...

I know costs have increased for everything, and prices have to increase to accomadate that but why they keep punishing the 1/2 day people is beyond me...

Like I said Disney still gets my dollars, they get them in the food, golf and their spas, just not in their parks...it's a combination of things including my vacation tastes but the fact is for the price of adding a park day I don't think it's for my fiancee and I..
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

I am surprised that so many people are surprised by this?? Tickets for anything usually goes up a little every year? What were you all expecting to happen?
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    I am surprised that so many people are surprised by this?? Tickets for anything usually goes up a little every year? What were you all expecting to happen?

I'm wouldn't say they are surprised that prices went up I would say people likely are starting to get "sticker shock" with the total cost of a Disney Vacation now...

Prices increase it is what it is, but I think it may be past that happy equilibrium where Disney makes a good chunk of change and people see the total value in what they are recieving.
    -George S. Patton

Quote Originally Posted by ORD84 View Post
    I'm wouldn't say they are surprised that prices went up I would say people likely are starting to get "sticker shock" with the total cost of a Disney Vacation now...

Prices increase it is what it is, but I think it may be past that happy equilibrium where Disney makes a good chunk of change and people see the total value in what they are recieving.
    I can see that if the jump was big but it was a $4 change for days and $20 for AP. Don't get me wrong more is more any way you look at it but it's not gigantic enough that if you didn't feel that way before that you should now.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

"Can open. Worms.......everywhere!"
    "Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children." - Walter Elias Disney

• Minion

ORGOCH: So all ya sweet ducklin's think ya got problems over hiked up prices fer tickets ta Walt Dizzy Whirl?! Heck! My neighbors here in Morva got worse problems 'n that! They's upset cause the price a illegal drugs is risin' ev'ry day! None of 'em ever goes ta Dizzy Whirl 'cause they got a better way ta live out their fantasies an' they cain't afford ta buy drugs no more!! Just goes ta show prices is goin' up fer ev'rything!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    I can see that if the jump was big but it was a $4 change for days and $20 for AP. Don't get me wrong more is more any way you look at it but it's not gigantic enough that if you didn't feel that way before that you should now.
    It's not a big jump, but I was feeling this way before after the price increase for two years previously, like I said I still go down to the world the parks just aren't a priority for me personally anymore..
    -George S. Patton

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast