Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Big changes slated for 'The Hub'

According to WDWmagic, big changes are coming to The Hub to ease congestion and add more firework viewing... Hopefully I am allowed to post this link:

PHOTOS - Magic Kingdom's hub set for big changes to help traffic flow and provide more fireworks viewing locations

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Big changes slated for 'The Hub'

It's not as big a change as I thought it would be according to the photos of what it will probably look like. The moat isn't going away like some may have feared. The addition of fake grass is interesting, but if they go with a good kind of AstroTurf, like what they use on many baseball & football fields these days, it does indeed look and feel like real grass when you walk on it (I've walked on the field turf at Tropicana Field where the Tampa Bay Rays play many times so I know from experience).

I won't even address the artificial grass, but that grid of pavement is pretty ridiculous. All these changes to accommodate fireworks resulting in a labyrinth of pavement in a bald hub, and now even the removal of parts of the waterway.

Blog Entries

I will say, after working in this park this summer... and doing some PAC shifts... They needed to make changes.. It is relatively unsafe in my opinion, and impossible to move during fireworks. If there was some sort of disaster I can't even imagine the chaos. This way they will be able to safely move people in and out.

~

Artificial grass sounds scary, but I assure you that we've came a long way.

I don't think it's maze-like at all. It's a much needed addition. I'm sure it'll look much more decent from the ground.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Disney + Menken fan

The official art!

-Xedex
    "Fish are friends! NOT food!"
    ~Finding Nemo

Looks very nice. Not too excited about those extra turrets I see. They look out of place.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Under that tree again!

I wonder if WDW magic made up their idea off rumors, it's a close but far from close.

My largest concern is the large amount of construction in the hub. Viewing fireworks and the parade is going to be a different experience while they close off parts of the area for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Looks very nice. Not too excited about those extra turrets I see. They look out of place.
    That is interesting to me too. I think the stand alone ones close to the bridge look nice now. They follow the banner pattern on the bridge. I think they are stands for light for the night shows. I do wonder if they will blend in more, or stick out worse.

The two Victorian style buildings on the hub itself really seems to be Fantasyland intruding on Main Street when rethemed.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Yeah they look strange. If they did them more like how TDS has theirs it might not be so bad:

I never noticed that TDS has something similar. I can kind of understand the ones that could possibly hold the speaker and lighting units, but I am incredibly unsure about the stands. I think that the stands as they stand offer a better transition from Main Street to Fantasyland.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

ORDDU: I hope they don't really get rid of the benches that are currently in the hub for guests to sit on. According to the pictures and the video, there doesn't appear to be much, if any, seating in the new plan.

Blog Entries

Here's a photo of the video and the old hub to compare easily.

Old:

Name:  oldhub.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  201.0 KB

New:

Name:  newhub.jpg
Views: 1032
Size:  82.8 KB

~

• Metro-Retro Historian

Oh boy, fewer trees and lawns. I can't wait. The good thing is it will accommodate more people who don't know that it's actually better to watch the fireworks from the other side of the castle.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I wonder if WDW magic made up their idea off rumors, it's a close but far from close.

My largest concern is the large amount of construction in the hub. Viewing fireworks and the parade is going to be a different experience while they close off parts of the area for work.

That is interesting to me too. I think the stand alone ones close to the bridge look nice now. They follow the banner pattern on the bridge. I think they are stands for light for the night shows. I do wonder if they will blend in more, or stick out worse.

The two Victorian style buildings on the hub itself really seems to be Fantasyland intruding on Main Street when rethemed.
    The image on WDW Magic was based on some leaked blueprints that someone posted on their message board.

Are the new castle towers to conceal something?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast