• former CM

Show off the bottom of Spaceship Earth!

What's amazing about Spaceship Earth is that it is giant and perfectly round. If the bottom part is unnecessarily obstructed, people are less able to appreciate that it's not just another big dome on a planet that's had giant domes for many centuries now.

And am I the only who who is tired of those ugly tribute stones? I think having those was a greedy mistake.

Then again, letting people keep some ashes in the grave yards in and outside of the Haunted Mansion makes perfect sense to me.

• Heavy Breather

Re: Show off the bottom of Spaceship Earth!

They really need to go. They stopped the Leave a Legacy program back in 2007, so I see no point in keeping them around

Quote Originally Posted by LordVader View Post
    They really need to go. They stopped the Leave a Legacy program back in 2007, so I see no point in keeping them around
    ...except for all the people who paid good money for them.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I were against those monstrosities from the very beginning. The first thing we thought of was how impractical and dangerous they were in case there was a need for a mass exodus, due to some sort of emergency. Plus they are an eye-sore!

• Tomorrow's Child

Bring back the crystal/glass sculpture fountain. That thing was just beautiful!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

they don't need to get rid of them, they can just move them to a less intrusive place or possibly rearrange them to a different design that opens up the entrance to the park more.

Completely agree with this. Unfortunately, it will probably cost loads of money to move them. Does anyone know when the "contracts" end?
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Completely agree with this. Unfortunately, it will probably cost loads of money to move them. Does anyone know when the "contracts" end?
    haha more then my magic +? if anything now is the ideal time to do it with the MK hub getting worked on, could both go through minor redesigns at the same time. as for the contracts, they are set for 20 years so it should be at least another 15+ years until they can be completely torn down. in my mind the best thing to do to fix the current situation would be to move the walls closer to the gardens on either side, slightly overlap them, and instead of having them face like so "/" flip them to create a funnel effect like so "\". this would draw your eye to the base of spaceship earth and open up the space enough in the corridor that you could get a better view of the entire structure. I doubt however that disney would do such extensive work for such minor changes. the only other option I can think of would be to scatter the pillars in different places throughout the part that are somewhat inconspicuous and blend into the theme but that would be a very difficult task.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Most people don't even know that these stones memorialize all the brave men and women who gave their lives in the EPCOT war of the early 90s. They fought valiantly to preserve their way of life in the face of an egotistical regime that thought cheap thrills were an adequate replacement for inspiring narrative. That celebrity appearances and movie tie-ins could take the place of good old fashioned heart. For these brave souls lying down and accepting these changes was not an option. They knew better than to just trust that those in charge knew what was best, and while they may have been on the losing side of the war, I don't think any of us can say it was the wrong one.

Never forget.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Most people don't even know that these stones memorialize all the brave men and women who gave their lives in the EPCOT war of the early 90s. They fought valiantly to preserve their way of life in the face of an egotistical regime that thought cheap thrills were an adequate replacement for inspiring narrative. That celebrity appearances and movie tie-ins could take the place of good old fashioned heart. For these brave souls lying down and accepting these changes was not an option. They knew better than to just trust that those in charge knew what was best, and while they may have been on the losing side of the war, I don't think any of us can say it was the wrong one.

Never forget.
    Well put, Dapper Dan. Were it not for them there would still be a giant, cheap, menacing wand above Spaceship Earth.

• -

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    they don't need to get rid of them, they can just move them to a less intrusive place
    How about the men's room?
    "You can cut me off from the civilized world. You can incarcerate me with two moronic cellmates. You can torture me with your thrice daily swill, but you cannot break the spirit of a Winchester. My voice shall be heard from this wilderness and I shall be delivered from this fetid and festering sewer."

• formerly very helpful

It's threads like this that really make me miss the little details of EPCOT's glory days.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    How about the men's room?
    lol the last thing i want when im hitting the bathroom is thousands of eyes on a giant marble slab staring back at me

• Metro-Retro Historian

Use them to fill the sink hole behind Mission: Space so they can rebuild Horizons.

(Yes that is my answer for every large structure I don't like)
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Disneyland 19 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Use them to fill the sink hole behind Mission: Space so they can rebuild Horizons.
    What sink hole? They filled that thing in a long time ago.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M