Must see/do's on Disney property?

I plan on going to the Disney area next weekend and while I have seen and experienced a decent amount of Disney and resorts, I'm far from have seen every resort/hotel, or know of every little thing to do.

So, I wanted to ask, what are must-sees and do's besides going to the theme parks? I have some money, but not enough to go into the park, or a place like the California Grill.

• Minion

Re: Must see/do's on Disney property?

well obviously DTD is a great option when you cant go to the parks. another place to definitely check out is the boardwalk area between epcot and DHS. also riding the monorail or looking at the animals at the animal kingdom lodge.

• formerly very helpful

I've had great days just slowly exploring each of the hotels for a day or more. Take in the details. It's a great way to transport yourself to different environments, such as Africa, Polynesia, New Orleans, etc. While you're at it, perhaps you can rent a boat on the lagoon or even go horseback riding. Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground has other sports and outside activities.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by sbk1234 View Post
    I've had great days just slowly exploring each of the hotels for a day or more. Take in the details. It's a great way to transport yourself to different environments, such as Africa, Polynesia, New Orleans, etc. While you're at it, perhaps you can rent a boat on the lagoon or even go horseback riding. Fort Wilderness Resort and Campground has other sports and outside activities.
    I second this. Also try doing the trail that connects Fort Wilderness campground to the Wilderness Lodge.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Typically the things I do when I can't go to the park is going to the hotels and resorts to check them out, however I probably don't put as much time into each resort as I can. Also, I've seen Fort Wilderness and the Lodge (both Wilderness and Animal), but maybe there is something I missed. I never stepped foot into the Boardwalk area though. That's also a good suggestion.

Also, what would be a great location to see the fireworks if you're not in the park? That's something I haven't done before.

Maybe even ride the monorail loop.. You may not get in an actual park but you will ride through it in Epcot.

Good location for fireworks will be at Poly.. they even pump the music in for you.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Metro-Retro Historian

If you've never done the Boardwalk, you should definitely check that out. In addition to the shops at the Boardwalk itself, you can check out all the hotels along crescent lake as well. It's a nice little walk, especially in the evening.

I'm also a fan of the monorail pub crawl. All three resorts have some pretty nice bars and the vastly different themes make it a lot of fun.

For fireworks, you could either try to rent a boat and watch them from the lagoon, or head up to the observation deck on the roof of the Contemporary. I don't think you need to eat at the California Grill just to stand outside and watch the fireworks. At least you didn't have to when I used to do free Disney days a million years ago.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.