Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: I'm Going to Disney World in August - and I'm so excited!!!!

Yesterday the Disney Visa came out with a room only discount, which covered the dates of my trip. The problem was that it did not include the Art of Animation Resort. I sent an e-mail to Susan (the vacation planner that was assigned to me), and asked her how much I would save if I switched to Pop Century. She promptly got back to me with a quote, and the savings was about $150.

I am now booked at Pop Century instead of the Art of Animation Resort. These resorts are sister resorts, and I am planning to visit nearby AOA sometime during my trip. My camera in my hands, of course. I especially want to capture the "Cars" icons.

There's more to Disney than rides.

• Done with MC.

Sounds like a great time!
    I like Pop, not fancy but clean and comfortable.
    Food: this is one of the best things about WDW, all the great food. I could just spend a week eating around EPCOT. I remember reading all the reviews and looking at the menu's on line and getting so hungry!
    Hope you have a wonderful time and I'm looking forward to hearing about your trip!

Scott

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I have been researching the menus, and the table service restaurants are pretty pricey. I don't need to splurge every day of my trip, but I would like maybe one nice sit down meal. I am really not a big eater, and I wouldn't qualify as a gourmet that's for sure. I have 5 months to figure all this out. Spontaneity is nice, but a little Disney Dreaming is fun as well.

I do have a question, for recent Disney World guests. How plentiful are the photopass photographers?

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I made my first dining reservation tonite. When I go to Animal Kingdom, I always like to stop at their Rainforest Cafe for Breakfast. I did have to leave a credit card on deposit, in case i don't show up, I guess. I remember the days when dining wasn't done til 60 days out. Now it's 180. That's a bit absurd, but they have been doing it this way for a long while. It used to be that I had to call Rainforest directly. Now they are included with the Disney restaurants.

I do like the Dining part of the website. It's very user friendly.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

So I have definitely decided that I am going to visit all 4 parks. The Magic Kingdom will see me each day of my 4 full days. One full day at Magic Kingdom, with parkhopping the other 3 days.

Example:

Magic Kingdom - Tuesday
    MK & DHS - Wednesday
    MK & Epcot - Thursday
    AK & MK - Friday

Now I need to decide who to buy my tickets from. I usually order my Tickets directly from the WDW website. I have read about Undercover Tourist, and they show discount tickets. However, will their tickets work with all this Magic Band stuff? They are recommended by the Mousesavers website. I am not in a hurry, this far out to buy the tickets, but I would sure like to save the money.

My trip also includes a 2 night stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. However, I am almost certain that I won't be visiting the parks during that time. Bonnet Creek is a perfect place to just relax, and I am sure after all that time in the parks, I will look forward to some downtime before I head home.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    So I have definitely decided that I am going to visit all 4 parks. The Magic Kingdom will see me each day of my 4 full days. One full day at Magic Kingdom, with parkhopping the other 3 days.

Example:

Magic Kingdom - Tuesday
    MK & DHS - Wednesday
    MK & Epcot - Thursday
    AK & MK - Friday

Now I need to decide who to buy my tickets from. I usually order my Tickets directly from the WDW website. I have read about Undercover Tourist, and they show discount tickets. However, will their tickets work with all this Magic Band stuff? They are recommended by the Mousesavers website. I am not in a hurry, this far out to buy the tickets, but I would sure like to save the money.

My trip also includes a 2 night stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. However, I am almost certain that I won't be visiting the parks during that time. Bonnet Creek is a perfect place to just relax, and I am sure after all that time in the parks, I will look forward to some downtime before I head home.
    That sounds like an ok plan of days. I like the finish in the MK after an DAK early close. On Wed and Thur I would plan to leave MK by noon so you get plenty of time in Epcot and DHS. Doing them last instead of first could adversely limit the time you have there. Of course while in DHS you could get bored take a friendship boat to Epcot and come back for F! and likewise from Epcot on Thursday do the opposite, or Monorail to the MK resorts or the park itself.

I have used and AP and not done 3rd party tickets in a long time. I understand that it you use UT or some other vendor you get the print out that you exchange at the booths for a band now.

Seeing as how you are using a magic band from another thread. Are you going to reserve Epcot and DHS attractions? Or only MK.

So when in Bonnet Creek, that is when you will take a day at Universal?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

The Be Our Guest Dinner is, of course, all booked up for dinner. I did notice there is a lunch menu as well. How early does someone have to stand in line for that? I plan on spending a lot of time in the Magic Kingdom and it would be great to be able to have that experience.
    We got in line about 30-45 minutes before it opened. Just ask a Disney employee when it opens (I don't remember the time for sure). We got in no problem.

While the building and decor is beautiful, it felt more like eating in a high school cafeteria to me.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    We got in line about 30-45 minutes before it opened. Just ask a Disney employee when it opens (I don't remember the time for sure). We got in no problem.

While the building and decor is beautiful, it felt more like eating in a high school cafeteria to me.
    I was at Magic Kingdom last year. So I have seen some of the new Fantasyland. I have checked the dining information on the WDW website, and they say lunch begins serving at 10:30, and lasts until 2:30. That is way too early for me. I have decided to just play it by ear. If the opportunity arises to perhaps get in that line for lunch, I will. The menu is a bit limited for me. Not that I have allergies, but just personal likes, and dislikes. The braised pork sounds really good.

I just like to cram my head with knowledge, so it cuts down on the disappointments.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    That sounds like an ok plan of days. I like the finish in the MK after an DAK early close. On Wed and Thur I would plan to leave MK by noon so you get plenty of time in Epcot and DHS. Doing them last instead of first could adversely limit the time you have there. Of course while in DHS you could get bored take a friendship boat to Epcot and come back for F! and likewise from Epcot on Thursday do the opposite, or Monorail to the MK resorts or the park itself.

I have used and AP and not done 3rd party tickets in a long time. I understand that it you use UT or some other vendor you get the print out that you exchange at the booths for a band now.

Seeing as how you are using a magic band from another thread. Are you going to reserve Epcot and DHS attractions? Or only MK.

So when in Bonnet Creek, that is when you will take a day at Universal?
    I don't want to miss either Fantasmic, or Illuminations on this trip, since I have not seen either since 2009.

I very well may ask the people at Bonnet Creek if they sell Universal tickets, and can arrange transport for me. I could do that on the last full day of my vacation, which would be a Sunday. I am only interested in seeing Harry Potter again. Not really interested in too many other Universal attractions.

• Under that tree again!

I don't want to miss either Fantasmic, or Illuminations on this trip, since I have not seen either since 2009.

I very well may ask the people at Bonnet Creek if they sell Universal tickets, and can arrange transport for me. I could do that on the last full day of my vacation, which would be a Sunday. I am only interested in seeing Harry Potter again. Not really interested in too many other Universal attractions.

Harry Potter with its new addition in the studios will require a dual park ticket akin to a hopper. I suspect for Forbidden Journey, Hogswart Express, and the Gringotts may have a total wait reaching the 5-7 hour range, and less an hour if you do either FJ or Gringott's right away. You will probably also want a couple hours in Diagon Alley.

Ask the hotel if it sells ticket or arranges ticket and transportation. That is likely. Also I imagine Underground Tourist probably does too. Usually the total is the park ticket price with transport included.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I noticed something while browsing the Disney World Reservations section online. There are many reservations that appear if there are two in the party. However, when I change it to one, since I am traveling alone, the reservation disappears.

Interesting.

• Done with MC.

Hmm, maybe give them a call and find out if you can make a res for just one person?
    I'm really curious whats going on!

(Dang, just this discussion has made me hungry..)

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Hmm, maybe give them a call and find out if you can make a res for just one person?
    I'm really curious whats going on!

(Dang, just this discussion has made me hungry..)
    I guess I didn't explain that exactly right. I do find availability for tables for one. There's definitely more availability for tables for two. There were a few key places where I noticed this. I guess different restaurants have different table configurations.

I'm not sure if I want too many reservations. However, I was looking at Trails End for lunch, and Ohana for Dinner, and the availability for one diner went away. They have it automatically set for parties of two. When I change it to one, the reservation times and restaurant goes off the list.

I am looking for some new and different places to try on this trip. I thought Trails End would be fun. Taking the boat across the Seven Seas Lagoon is always a treat.
    Last edited by Barbaraann; 03-17-2014 at 03:38 PM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I remember the first time that I went to Disney World. That was back in September of 1997. It wasn't very crowded that trip. Over the years, the parks have definitely gotten more and more crowded. Dining has gone from a short time selection to possibly deciding where to eat 6 months in advance. I have been doing a lot of menu reading, and there does seem to be a lot more places to eat. I have discovered some pretty interesting dishes. Hopefully, I will get to try some new stuff, and sample Disney World's versions of my favorite things to eat.

I see that the refillable mug has changed. They are now selling mugs similar to the ones that we used/bought when I visited Universal last year. The mug activates the beverage in the machine. I guess these mugs do away with cheating.

It's a shame that modern technology needs a built in "you can't cheat factor".

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Normally, I don't visit a park on the day when I check out of my WDW Hotel. However, on this trip, I am starting to rethink that decision. First of all, my 5 nights at Pop Century are going to be followed by 2 nights at neighboring Bonnet Creek. They are actually located very close to Pop Century. If I do this, I can get one more day in the park. Well not quite a full day, but morning and afternoon for sure.

Undercover Tourist has a deal where you pay the four day parkhopper price, and you get a fifth day. It would be nice to have a fifth day. I don't want this vacation to be commando style at all, but I do want to make some sound decisions regarding my visiting of the parks, Since I am going to get the fifth day, I should definitely use it.

The WDW hotels have always had the policy of holding luggage until a guest has finished their last day in the parks. I can get up early. Check out, and drop off my bags with the Pop's (is it called Bell Services)? I would then head to the park of my choice, and when I am done enjoying my last day, I can return to Pop. After I pick up my bags, I plan on calling a taxi for my short trip to Bonnet Creek.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast