View Poll Results: Which Fantasyland has better rides?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Old Fantasyland

10 50.00%
  • New Fantasyland

10 50.00%

• Metro-Retro Historian

Which Fantasyland has the better rides?

This isn't the question you think it is.

With New Fantasyland nearing completion and enough attractions from the Fantasyland of ye olden days gone forever, I thought it would be interesting to see if all these changes and hoopla were really worth it. After all, New Fantasyland has the exact same number of rides as the old one (10), and that's only because 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea closed before the Barnstormer opened. So let's look at the tale of the tape!

Old Fantasyland:
    Skyway to Tomorrowland
    Peter Pan's Flight
    it's a small world
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Cinderella's Golden Carousel
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    Snow White's Adventure
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
    The Mad Tea Party
    Walt Disney World Railroad

New Fantasyland:
    Peter Pan's Flight
    it's a small world
    Prince Charming Regal Carousel
    Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid
    Seven Dwarfs Mine
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    The Mad Tea Party
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Walt Disney World Railroad
    The Barnstormer Starring the Great Goofini
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Under that tree again!

Re: Which Fantasyland has the better rides?

I voted for new.

I feel we are at the tipping point and the 7 Dwarfs Mine Coaster is going to tip the scale to the present FL.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

ORDDU: This is a difficult one. My sisters and I voted for NEW Fantasyland but mostly because of the new landscaping--which puts the OLD Fantasyland to shame.

ORWEN: At the same time we miss some of the former attractions from the OLD Fantasyland. Not sure if the new attractions they have are really any better. But time we'll tell.

ORGOCH: Got pixie dust?

I don't think it is fair that Mr. Toad had to be evicted for Pooh. If they currently are finishing up an expansion then Winnie the Pooh should have been added when they closed 20,000 leagues in that spot a long time ago.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Suspended

I find it interesting that Disney has been advertising this as the biggest expansion to Fantasyland, and it really doesn't have any more attractions than what it did before.

yeah, it has dual Dumbo's and will have one more attraction with the mine car ride, but it did get rid of Toontown Fair (except for Goofy)

And that is really sad because WDW has all this extra land, and they really are NOT expanding Fantasyland at all. They are just telling lies with their marketing. They Really should be doing a heck of lot more to ADD attractions, not just REPLACE them.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I agree with you, Aladdin, duckling. There IS a big lie being told when they call it an 'expansion'. It's merely replacing old attractions with new one's. The only legitimate addition would be the extra Dumbo ride.

ORGOCH: Walt Dizzy Whirl management thinks we's all stupid. But we's not!

ORWEN: There's no reason we couldn't have had Mr. Toad AND Winnie the Pooh as dark rides!!

Skyway, 20,000 Leagues, Snow White, and Mr. Toad vs Mermaid, Pooh, Barnstormer, and Dwarfs. You can draw a lot of conclusions from isolating like that, but I'll choose not to directly compare those 4 but rather agree with the above posters. In addition to having the same total number of rides, the New Fantasyland still owes its majority to the old. They "added" 4 rides, of which 1 isn't part of the "New Fantasyland" expansion, 1 is a reskin of an existing attraction, and 1 is a clone from DCA. Only 1 original ride has been added to Fantasyland this decade.

If we want to be a bit more open with attractions v rides, the New section should have Philharmagic, which I think tips the scale in favor of the new.

• Metro-Retro Historian

When I was putting the list together I was sure that new Fantasyland had at least one more ride than the old one. I even checked three times to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything and was pretty shocked that they turned out to be equal. So, all New Fantasyland really adds is 2 meet and greets (maybe), a restaurant, and snack bar. None of those things really excite me. Certainly not as much a larger slate of attractions would.

The reason I did rides instead of "attractions" is because Disney considers Meet and Greets to be attractions and I consider that to be a cheap cop out to make the parks look like they offer more than they actually do. Since me making up my own delineation seemed a bit arbitrary, I decided to limit the scope to rides only since it's very clear cut. A ride moves you and other types of "attractions" regardless of how elaborate or cheap they may be do not. I think Philharmagic should be on this list, but I also don't think Story Time with Belle should be, so unfortunately Philharmagic gets sacrificed. If you want to put it on the list, it would be under New Fantasyland despite being around for a decade already. It's counterpart would be Legend of the Lion King which actually opened just a couple months before 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea went away forever, at least according to Wikepedia.

Maybe if I have time to do a little more research I'll add in all the shows and Meet and Greets and see how things measure up. Plus, it'll give me an excuse to watch the Disney Afternoon stage show again.
    Last edited by Dapper Dan; 03-16-2014 at 09:18 AM.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

ORDDU: My sisters and I never consider meet and greets to be attractions--even though Disney management might.

Old fantasyland has Skyway, Mr Toad, 20k Leagues Under the Sea, and Snow White vs.New Fantasyland's Winnie the Pooh, slightly dissapointing Ariel ride and a VERY short coaster. Can you guess which I'd picked?

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I find it interesting that Disney has been advertising this as the biggest expansion to Fantasyland, and it really doesn't have any more attractions than what it did before.
    They're going by land size, not number of attractions.

• former CM

Congrats to Universal Orlando for investing so much into a series of stories loved by millions of the smartest kids. That's a better Florida fantasy land. We'll travel to Florida for Universal of Orlando and we'll spend more $$$$ there per day/night than we will at WDW, even with its dwarf coaster.

I'd like WDW to create a Pandora that Thomas Staggs and his sons would be genuinely thrilled to visit and ride. And I'd like incredible Star Wars lands and attractions to top anything anywhere, and to quote Veruca Salt, "I want it NOW !"

I won't vote on this till after I ride the dwarf coaster.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-18-2014 at 03:11 AM.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    They're going by land size, not number of attractions.
    But the land size is the same.

• Minion

yeah its a tough call looking at it. i cancelled out peter pan, teacups, IASW, and the carousel. dumbo has been doubled and given its own land/cool queue so thats an upgrade, ill also say that snow white is being upgraded with the mine train, and so has the railroad station. ill take pooh over toad for the sole purpose of the queue and AA's versus cut outs. 20,000 leagues beats the mermaid but barnstormer beats skyway. it may seem like this is a bit of a landslide for new fantasyland but the old one utilised its space a lot better IMO so its still difficult to say but new fantasy land still wins IMO.