• former CM

Smile Option idea: Instead of 3 tiers let guests select any 2 attractions

It sounds like MyMagic+ might reduce the # of FPs used per day, at least till Disney convinces the 1% and later the wealthiest 5% to spend $$$$$ on incoming (?) unlimited FP ticket options.
    (And what a fun opportunity that will be to explain capitalism to your young children in Fantasyland!)

But for now, instead of the tiered plan of one popular E ticket FP,
    and 2 FPs for attractions you might not otherwise even visit,
    how about just letting MyMagic+ users get any 2 FPs per day?
    They could still keep the 3-tier option for guests who'd prefer 3 FPs.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-16-2014 at 09:00 AM.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: Option idea: Instead of 3 tiers let guests select any 2 attractions

They should sell fastpass booklets and use a five tier rating system like an A-E or something and each book could have 1 A, 1 B, 2 C, 3 D, and 3 E fastpasses. That would be so innovative and next-gen.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• former CM

And they could sell a new ticket/iron bracelet option: Disney Basic. For $59 per park per day, these value guests could enjoy all the magic of WDW, but without FPs, the use of sidewalks on Main Street, and with special store and restaurant entrances, restrooms and drinking fountains.

• Under that tree again!

I think they will eventually add more than 3 Fps per day. I also hope they ask if you will be hopping and can use select FPs in more than one park.

But yes I rather choose which I want rather than be limited to this many for a group of attractions.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I think they will eventually add more than 3 Fps per day. I also hope they ask if you will be hopping and can use select FPs in more than one park.

But yes I rather choose which I want rather than be limited to this many for a group of attractions.
    the only reason it was possible previously to get more than 3 FP a day was because not everyone used it. A small percentage of guests used a majority of FP, which I think was fair because it was open to all, but that's another discussion, but not with a HUGE majority of guests using (or at least reserving) 3 FP per day, I don't think they could give 4 to each person without tipping the SB:FP ratio way out of balance, even with every attraction now having FP whether they needed it or not. I would love more than 3, but I don't see that being widespread for all. Perhaps for deluxe resorts, an up charge, or some other method (use all 3, pick another that is still available). Park hopping I do think will happen, eventually.

I also don't think they'll open it up to any two instead of three that are tiered because the parks that have the tiers really need them. If you could pick two you'd pick Soarin and TT, nothing else needs one...but that will be a huge majority of people who would want the same thing, and there aren't enough FP for that to happen.

• former CM

I wonder how this will change over the next 18 months. I hope it doesn't come to Disneyland, though the thought of teenagers coming in off of Harbor and pushing past polls sounds interesting in a bad way.
    Disney could flood the entrance areas with security to keep out teen, parents and kids who can't afford the Happiest Place on Earth.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    I also don't think they'll open it up to any two instead of three that are tiered because the parks that have the tiers really need them. If you could pick two you'd pick Soarin and TT, nothing else needs one...but that will be a huge majority of people who would want the same thing, and there aren't enough FP for that to happen.
    And this is one thing I really don't like about it. FP was needed mainly for the E-Ticket attractions that you can now get 1 FP for. Now you have to wait in standby for all but one E-Ticket.

the only reason it was possible previously to get more than 3 FP a day was because not everyone used it. A small percentage of guests used a majority of FP, which I think was fair because it was open to all, but that's another discussion, but not with a HUGE majority of guests using (or at least reserving) 3 FP per day, I don't think they could give 4 to each person without tipping the SB:FP ratio way out of balance, even with every attraction now having FP whether they needed it or not.
    Having FP for far more attractions than used to, has led to far more FPs available. And on too of that limit on return times and what park you can get them in, means a drop in use and demand.

Even though more people are using them, it really hasn't made a huge increase in the FP usage other than people using them on the new FP attractions. Soaring, and TSMM, still run of FPs just like they used to. The change is there is no race to those attractions to get FP anymore.
    Last edited by swampymarsh; 03-16-2014 at 02:05 PM.
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I wonder how this will change over the next 18 months. I hope it doesn't come to Disneyland, though the thought of teenagers coming in off of Harbor and pushing past polls sounds interesting in a bad way.
    Disney could flood the entrance areas with security to keep out teen, parents and kids who can't afford the Happiest Place on Earth.
    Why do you think that could happen?
    Be Cool Stay in School!

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Why do you think that could happen?
    I assume you don't mean, "Why do I think MyMagic+ could come to Disneyland?"

At Walt Disney World, getting to the Magic Kingdom can be complicated with significant time spent on Disney property before one enters Main Street. But at Disneyland people can get to the parks' entrances after walking a couple hundred yards from Harbor Blvd. or from Downtown Disney. There's one not-so-invasive security checkpoint on each side, so just waving a Magicband or craning a Colorcollar at a poll to enter a park doesn't seem as workable at the Disneyland Resort, especially for a crowded 24-hour party or New Years Eve when a few hundred teens could easily plan an internet mob. Remember when yippies tried to "take over" part of Disneyland? Me neither, but it happened and is described in David Koenig's excellent book, MouseTales.

P.S. I have encountered some excellent, courteous teens at Disneyland and I've taught many wonderful teens, so I don't mean to unfairly bash the youth. As a former high school teacher I also know that many young people make bad choices that they hopefully learn from. See the "Fatal Attractions" chapter in David Koenig's book. The bad decision of the young man hosed off of the bottom of a monorail was the last one he ever made.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-16-2014 at 04:45 PM.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I assume you don't mean, "Why do I think MyMagic+ could come to Disneyland?"

At Walt Disney World, getting to the Magic Kingdom can be complicated with significant time spent on Disney property before one enters Main Street. But at Disneyland people can get to the parks' entrances after walking a couple hundred yards from Harbor Blvd. or from Downtown Disney. There's one not-so-invasive security checkpoint on each side, so just waving a Magicband or craning a Colorcollar at a poll to enter a park doesn't seem as workable at the Disneyland Resort, especially for a crowded 24-hour party or New Years Eve when a few hundred teens could easily plan an internet mob. Remember when yippies tried to "take over" part of Disneyland? Me neither, but it happened and is described in David Koenig's excellent book, MouseTales.

P.S. I have encountered some excellent, courteous teens at Disneyland and I've taught many wonderful teens, so I don't mean to unfairly bash the youth. As a former high school teacher I also know that many young people make bad choices that they hopefully learn from. See the "Fatal Attractions" chapter in David Koenig's book. The bad decision of the young man hosed off of the bottom of a monorail was the last one he ever made.

Do you mean not FP+ but Magic Bands. How you scan your Magic Band at WDW in the turn style free entrances?
    Be Cool Stay in School!