Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I don't mind them and am not sure returning the area to the old would be a big improvement. Perhaps nostalgia is fooling people.
    I've often struggled with whether my appreciation for old EPCOT comes from nostalgia or if the place was really much more thoughtfully designed back then. I sometimes think it can't be possible that Disney has no idea what they are doing and usually do more harm than good. Then I look at both sides of Spaceship Earth which have reduced the amount of trees and open green spaces in favor of more concrete and clutter. On one side we have the giant ugly canopy of triangles being spewed out of a pin store, and on the other we have these stones that serve no purpose other than some money making scheme 15 years ago. I don't think anyone making decisions for these parks ever actually goes there.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    . . . I sometimes think it can't be possible that Disney has no idea what they are doing and usually do more harm than good. Then I look at both sides of Spaceship Earth which have reduced the amount of trees and open green spaces in favor of more concrete and clutter. On one side we have the giant ugly canopy of triangles being spewed out of a pin store, and on the other we have these stones that serve no purpose other than some money making scheme 15 years ago. I don't think anyone making decisions for these parks ever actually goes there.
    Outstanding post.

That "canopy of triangles" that blocks the view of the bottom of Spaceship Earth make it look like another dome when viewed from some places. The more we can see that it's an enormous ball-shaped building, the more impressive it looks.

Blocking beautiful buildings is a common mistake. See the beautiful Pasadena City Hall, which has a boring, rectangular building blocking it from Colorado Blvd. to the south, and St. Paul's in London, which should be surrounded on all sides by at least a block of parks.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

They're fine where they are.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Yeah. I feel the same as the poster above me.

SSE is impressive and you can see the building from all over the place, not just in the park. I think the building can be seen quite well as it is.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• You have much to learn...

I too believe that Epcot & SSE is fine as it is- I'm more concerned about the new hub going in the Magic Kingdom- Talk about ruining the beautiful waters and landscaping around them.

• Indiana Scott

I don't have a problem with them but it has struck me as odd and out of place having something like that at the entrance of a Disney Park. It kinda sets an unsettling tone for the experience.

• You have much to learn...

The memorials were not placed there for the deceased. Originally it was a sort of celebration promotion around the start the Millennium celebration so people could have their photos taken and return to remember the times they were there. Originally only photo's were allowed, later on they allowed written tributes.

Of course, over time I'm sure some of the people in the photos have passed on- I know both my parents have- so it is a memory for me when I was there experiencing the parks with them years ago.

Sure, it was a moneymaking thing for Disney. As usual there were people who agreed with it, and those that don't, but I find it more unsettling that those who aren't apart of it, just want to get rid of it.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Disneytwins View Post
    Yeah. I feel the same as the poster above me.

SSE is impressive and you can see the building from all over the place, not just in the park. I think the building can be seen quite well as it is.
    Ironically, the wort place to see Spaceship Earth is from the plaza just south of it.

I found this little before and after series. Epcot Images: Then and Now | Mickeycity.com
    I think the pictures speak for themselves, especially on the Innoventions side.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    The memorials were not placed there for the deceased. Originally it was a sort of celebration promotion around the start the Millennium celebration so people could have their photos taken and return to remember the times they were there. Originally only photo's were allowed, later on they allowed written tributes.

Of course, over time I'm sure some of the people in the photos have passed on- I know both my parents have- so it is a memory for me when I was there experiencing the parks with them years ago.

Sure, it was a moneymaking thing for Disney. As usual there were people who agreed with it, and those that don't, but I find it more unsettling that those who aren't apart of it, just want to get rid of it.
    They're called memories not because that is their function, but the image suggested by their design. It has nothing to do with being excluded. Like so much of Future World a once warm, open and inviting design was replaced by a hard, cold and foreboding design.

• former CM

I too believe that Epcot & SSE is fine as it is- I'm more concerned about the new hub going in the Magic Kingdom- Talk about ruining the beautiful waters and landscaping around them.
    Do you think that, if everything else were the same, the Magic Kingdom's hub would be better or worse if Disney sold many memorials to be placed there? I think worse, and I don't like them around Spaceship Earth either. To me they look out of place and avaricious. Then again, I'd like all cemeteries replaced with public parks or just about anything else, so I'm weird on this.

When the bottom of Spaceship Earth is blocked, it's just another dome, but as a geodesic globe, it seems more extraordinary to me.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Ironically, the worst place to see Spaceship Earth is from the plaza just south of it.

I found this little before and after series.
    Epcot Images: Then and Now | Mickeycity.com
    I think the pictures speak for themselves, especially on the Innoventions side.

Thank you! Everyone, please check out these photos in the link above. I think all of the SSE before photos looked a lot better than all of their corresponding after photos.

I do think the interior of "The Lands" looks more cheery in the brighter after photo with the colorful banners.

• former CM

I too believe that Epcot & SSE is fine as it is. . .
    Were you fine with the wand and EPCOT sign above Spaceship Earth? (I didn't like them.)

Maybe he was maybe he wasn't... maybe granite is his thing. People have different opinions on the way things are done and displayed.

Some find the old open and welcoming. Others think its cold and generic looking.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Were you fine with the wand and EPCOT sign above Spaceship Earth? (I didn't like them.)
    I was... I personally don't get mad at that kind of stuff.. I have better things to concern myself with on my vacation than decoration plans for a park.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    I was... I personally don't get mad at that kind of stuff.. I have better things to concern myself with on my vacation than decoration plans for a park.
    Quote of the year... so far at least.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast