Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 66
  1. #46

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,211
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    I get that but the slabs and wand do not interfere with that aspect at all.
    How are they not part of the built environment?

  2. #47

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    193

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How are they not part of the built environment?
    You mentioned disney's story telling.. I dont think the entrance of Epcot is really enthralled with story telling..

    Is it really so bad for you that after you pass that 45 feet of the entrance you're like "Man.. those slabs are SO ugly... They are such an eye sore... the rest of my day at Epcot is completly runied!" If you feel that way I feel bad for you.

    The want from my understanding was a celbration of the new millenium.. I may be wrong on that but again.. how did it detter from the story telling? Again... did the wand on the ball cause you so much agony that your whole day was runied? Did it make you feel you were cheated? Did you feel the Spaceship Earth ride was tainted?

    Tell me how these 2 examples are SO bad that you feel the parks story telling was compromised?

    If they bother you... then thats your opinion.. I can't speak for you.. I can only speak for how I view the park.. The two examples so not deter me from Epcot.. I love Epcot and if the ball has a wand or not of if there are memorial slabs in the front or not.. my opinion would not be changed either way..
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

  3. #48

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,211
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    You mentioned disney's story telling.. I dont think the entrance of Epcot is really enthralled with story telling..

    The want from my understanding was a celbration of the new millenium.. I may be wrong on that but again.. how did it detter from the story telling?

    If they bother you... then thats your opinion.. I can't speak for you.. I can only speak for how I view the park.. The two examples so not deter me from Epcot.. I love Epcot and if the ball has a wand or not of if there are memorial slabs in the front or not.. my opinion would not be changed either way..
    The storytelling is done through the built environment. They are part of the built environment. They do not need to be part of an explicit narrative to not be part of the story experience, the procession of entry. Leave a Legacy clutters the walks and has cold materials and colors, replacing warmer colors and softer textures that were intended to evoke a feeling of welcoming and optimism. The Wand distracted from the spectacle of Spaceship Earth.

    And I do not believe you that you do not care. Otherwise you never would have made a comment and changing the design of the entry would be of no consequence to you,

  4. #49

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    193

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    The storytelling is done through the built environment. They are part of the built environment. They do not need to be part of an explicit narrative to not be part of the story experience, the procession of entry. Leave a Legacy clutters the walks and has cold materials and colors, replacing warmer colors and softer textures that were intended to evoke a feeling of welcoming and optimism. The Wand distracted from the spectacle of Spaceship Earth.

    And I do not believe you that you do not care. Otherwise you never would have made a comment and changing the design of the entry would be of no consequence to you,
    If your asking my opinion if they would look better without the slabs and the wand.. then probably yes it looks better... All I am saying is these have zero effect on my day as far as enjoying it.. I love so many things at Epcot that 2 examples of asthetic things don't make or break my day.. that is all I am trying to say.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

  5. #50

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,211
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    If your asking my opinion if they would look better without the slabs and the wand.. then probably yes it looks better... All I am saying is these have zero effect on my day as far as enjoying it.. I love so many things at Epcot that 2 examples of asthetic things don't make or break my day.. that is all I am trying to say.
    But why is it so important to say you do not care? It seems maybe you do care more than you want to admit to yourself. You're also arguing from this fallacy that enjoyment is all-or-nothing. Being critical of design decisions does not mean there is no enjoyment and the only ones consistently making such arguments are those claiming that such decisions are of no consequence.

  6. #51

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    193

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    I say I dont care to answer your questions.. why is this so important to you that you keep asking?

    If its important to you thats fine. You have the freedom to criticize. That is fine.. I have no beef with that.. However, I have just as much right to have it not matter..

    This is becomming asanine.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

  7. #52

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,211
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    I say I dont care to answer your questions.. why is this so important to you that you keep asking?

    If its important to you thats fine. You have the freedom to criticize. That is fine.. I have no beef with that.. However, I have just as much right to have it not matter..

    This is becomming asanine.
    I find it fascinating that so many theme park fans, and Disney fans in particular, are so concerned with distancing themselves from some of the very defining characteristics of fandom. I am not interested in trip reports, so I do not go into trip report threads and tell people I do not care about trip reports. If I did, people would rightly get annoyed. When it comes to discussions of design it is a norm for people to make those very types of comments and then continue to reiterate them. The importance of declaring apathy undermines the entire notion of apathy.

    So, yes, I am interested to know why you opened, read and commented on a subject that you say is of no concern to you because I do not see how that makes any sense. I want to know because I love these types of discussions on design and aesthetics. MiceChat used to be full of them and I think something about them grabs you too. A message board is about all about discussion and there is no discussion with a bunch of people saying "I do not care."

  8. #53

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    If your asking my opinion if they would look better without the slabs and the wand.. then probably yes it looks better... All I am saying is these have zero effect on my day as far as enjoying it.. I love so many things at Epcot that 2 examples of asthetic things don't make or break my day.. that is all I am trying to say.
    Nobody says that they ruin their entire visit. What we are saying is that the plaza looks better without them than with them. Since we fans want every aspect of the part to be the best they can be, we see a version of the plaza that is not the best version as not one worth keeping just because it's the one that's there now. When I'm at the parks I accept and enjoy them for what they are. When I'm here discussing the parks, I try to look at what works and what doesn't.

    I don't spend time wandering the monuments because to me they are meaningless. I imagine the only people that do are those who paid for them and are looking for themselves or people trying to figure out what they are. That's an awful lot of space used to entertain a very small number of people. On the other hand, trees and flowers are things everyone can appreciate.

    The wand on the other hand is a different story. That very near ruined Epcot for me. There is nothing magical or cartoonish about Epcot. It's like they wrapped the symbol of the park in something that is the complete opposite of everything the park represents. They might as well have put a construction crane above Cinderella's castle with a white canvas banner that read, "Magic Kingdom Park(tm)" in courier font.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  9. #54

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    193

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I find it fascinating that so many theme park fans, and Disney fans in particular, are so concerned with distancing themselves from some of the very defining characteristics of fandom. I am not interested in trip reports, so I do not go into trip report threads and tell people I do not care about trip reports. If I did, people would rightly get annoyed. When it comes to discussions of design it is a norm for people to make those very types of comments and then continue to reiterate them. The importance of declaring apathy undermines the entire notion of apathy.

    So, yes, I am interested to know why you opened, read and commented on a subject that you say is of no concern to you because I do not see how that makes any sense. I want to know because I love these types of discussions on design and aesthetics. MiceChat used to be full of them and I think something about them grabs you too. A message board is about all about discussion and there is no discussion with a bunch of people saying "I do not care."
    Well then you can sit there and wonder all day.. I didn't know you were the thread cop. I am done with you.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

  10. #55

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    193

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Nobody says that they ruin their entire visit. What we are saying is that the plaza looks better without them than with them. Since we fans want every aspect of the part to be the best they can be, we see a version of the plaza that is not the best version as not one worth keeping just because it's the one that's there now. When I'm at the parks I accept and enjoy them for what they are. When I'm here discussing the parks, I try to look at what works and what doesn't.

    I don't spend time wandering the monuments because to me they are meaningless. I imagine the only people that do are those who paid for them and are looking for themselves or people trying to figure out what they are. That's an awful lot of space used to entertain a very small number of people. On the other hand, trees and flowers are things everyone can appreciate.

    The wand on the other hand is a different story. That very near ruined Epcot for me. There is nothing magical or cartoonish about Epcot. It's like they wrapped the symbol of the park in something that is the complete opposite of everything the park represents. They might as well have put a construction crane above Cinderella's castle with a white canvas banner that read, "Magic Kingdom Park(tm)" in courier font.
    And as I said many times. I respect that is your opinion and I agree it would probably look better without them.. All I said is for me personally they don't bother me.

    WOW this is stupid..
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

  11. #56

    • Metro-Retro Historian
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Brava Centauri
    Posts
    1,042

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    If it would look better without them, why do you want them there?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

  12. #57

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    314

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    I don't care either.

    I don't care whether they are there or not.....oh and they are NOT "Memorials" they are "Legacy Etchings" Kinda like souvenirs, not like tomb stones.... when I enter EPCOT, I barely see them as my attention is on getting through the gates, staring in wonder at that big beautiful geosphere and the building anticipation of once again getting to ride on "SpaceShip Earth".

    If your wasting your time and energy wondering why they are STILL there, or hoping and praying that they will be removed soon, I feel sorry that someone else's joy bothers you so much.

    Relax, and enjoy your visit!

  13. #58

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    toronto
    Posts
    1,932

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    lets just sum all this up into a tidy package because we are kind of discussing it to death here. i think we can all agree that the park would be better off if large grey slabs did not incumber the entrance and make it feel much darker then it did in the past. it is always nice to have a warmer more inviting entrance to the parks. however in the grand scheme of things not only will nothing probably be done about it for some time due to the contracts and little plus side from disney's perspective, but its a rather minor issue in comparison to other problems the park is facing like the state of the imagination pavilion, the lack of a replacement for wonders of life, the need to update universe of energy, etc etc.

  14. #59

    • враг народа
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    14,211
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    Well then you can sit there and wonder all day.. I didn't know you were the thread cop. I am done with you.
    How am I the "thread cop?" I think you find this interesting and I want to have a discussion, not insult people like you do in your next post.

    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    And as I said many times. I respect that is your opinion and I agree it would probably look better without them.. All I said is for me personally they don't bother me.

    WOW this is stupid..
    It is stupid yet something keeps drawing you back.

    Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    I don't care either.

    I don't care whether they are there or not.....oh and they are NOT "Memorials" they are "Legacy Etchings" Kinda like souvenirs, not like tomb stones.... when I enter EPCOT, I barely see them as my attention is on getting through the gates, staring in wonder at that big beautiful geosphere and the building anticipation of once again getting to ride on "SpaceShip Earth".

    If your wasting your time and energy wondering why they are STILL there, or hoping and praying that they will be removed soon, I feel sorry that someone else's joy bothers you so much.

    Relax, and enjoy your visit!
    So why are you so intent on telling people you do not care and they should not care? Some of us are interested in discussing design. There are entire magazines, books, essays, theses, films, etc. on the subject. Is there entire art and architecture portion of the book store sad and pathetic?

    Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    lets just sum all this up into a tidy package because we are kind of discussing it to death here. i think we can all agree that the park would be better off if large grey slabs did not incumber the entrance and make it feel much darker then it did in the past. it is always nice to have a warmer more inviting entrance to the parks. however in the grand scheme of things not only will nothing probably be done about it for some time due to the contracts and little plus side from disney's perspective, but its a rather minor issue in comparison to other problems the park is facing like the state of the imagination pavilion, the lack of a replacement for wonders of life, the need to update universe of energy, etc etc.
    But here is no agreement because we are being told the matter is unimportant. If it is unimportant than there is no impact on the experience of the entry.

  15. #60

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    193

    Re: Move the ugly memorials around Spaceship Earth, please.

    I never said I wanted them there. I just said they don't bother me as much as it seems they do others. I think the people that paid money to have their picture there deserve to have what they paid for.
    I know if I was one that paid and they were moved I would have felt cheated.

    I am not sure how I was the one that got singled out of all the people that said the slabs didn't bother them. Maybe because I like to be active in a thread but I was not trying to draw light on myself. Just saying my views like everyone else.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Fun] The Spaceship Earth Wand Lives!
    By ABOMIBOT in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-30-2010, 09:50 AM
  2. A New Perspective on the Spaceship Earth Ending.
    By KingEric in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 12-21-2007, 03:00 PM
  3. 8/16 Spaceship Earth photos, and OH, the changes to the Contemporary!
    By nbodyhome in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 08-17-2007, 06:43 PM
  4. Spaceship Earth refurb info please!
    By 1000th_happy_haunt in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-07-2007, 01:54 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •