Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Under that tree again!

Re: Avatar-Land---Good idea or Bad idea??

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Did you ever check out EPCOT's "Kitchen Cabaret" while is showed The Lands?
    Have you been on "Transformers" or "Spiderman"?

The Harry Potter books will not be over till kids stop reading them. And they will be filmed again in two, three or (at most) four decades.
    I do remember Kitchen Cabaret.

Instead of ripping IOA and those attractions to shreds I leave it at this. Transformers is Spiderman version 1.1.

And Avatar will grow with new movies and reruns. The best thing WWoHP did for Universal was regain the attendance they had lost over the years. It wasn't all gain. Meanwhile Disney cruised along with solid attendance.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Disney Enthusiast

Even if they must add an Avatar-themed section, why add it to Animal Kingdom when they have a theme park devoted to movies? Don't get me wrong, I KNOW AK needs expansion, but for pete's sake, don't use a movie! In my opinion, here is what sets Disney apart from Universal: Disney uses a majority of its own properties in most of its parks (DHS is the exception, but showcasing properties is the point of that park). Furthermore, most of the attractions in the remaining three parks do not have any tie-in to any animated feature or movie. Universal Orlando, on the other hand, is 100% stuff that they bought, licensed, or comes from their movie department (my brother affectionately calls IOA "Islands of Stuff We Bought," especially now that they've taken the one part of the park that could stand alone and made Harry Potter). I get it, Universal is a movie-based complex, which is OK! WDW is not---or at the very least, it shouldn't be. That is why I am opposed to Avatar being in Animal Kingdom–one of the reasons why. I enjoy the parts of WDW that can stand alone (Space Mountain, The American Adventure, Jungle Cruise). Again, I am not bashing parks or rides based on movies–––I just think that they should be consistent, placing the movie rides in the movie park and stand-alone rides in the other parks.

Quote Originally Posted by imagineer97 View Post
    Even if they must add an Avatar-themed section, why add it to Animal Kingdom when they have a theme park devoted to movies? Don't get me wrong, I KNOW AK needs expansion, but for pete's sake, don't use a movie! In my opinion, here is what sets Disney apart from Universal: Disney uses a majority of its own properties in most of its parks (DHS is the exception, but showcasing properties is the point of that park). Furthermore, most of the attractions in the remaining three parks do not have any tie-in to any animated feature or movie. Universal Orlando, on the other hand, is 100% stuff that they bought, licensed, or comes from their movie department (my brother affectionately calls IOA "Islands of Stuff We Bought," especially now that they've taken the one part of the park that could stand alone and made Harry Potter). I get it, Universal is a movie-based complex, which is OK! WDW is not---or at the very least, it shouldn't be. That is why I am opposed to Avatar being in Animal Kingdom–one of the reasons why. I enjoy the parts of WDW that can stand alone (Space Mountain, The American Adventure, Jungle Cruise). Again, I am not bashing parks or rides based on movies–––I just think that they should be consistent, placing the movie rides in the movie park and stand-alone rides in the other parks.
    I think Avatar is a good fit for AK for a number of reasons...

1. The movie has very strong themes of conservation and living in harmony with nature which fits perfectly with AK.

2. There is a very strong nighttime visual element to the world of Pandora. AK needs something to justify staying open later, so if done properly Avatar, along with the other nighttime things that are planned, could give people a reason to stay late.

3. All indications are that the land will focus much less on the movie and more on the environment of Pandora which I think will make it feel less like a movie based land.

Finally, like it or not, tying everything into a movie/tv show seems to be the way Disney is going. I doubt you will see a new attraction in the US parks not tied to a movie for a long time to come. So if AK didn't get Avatar I bet it would have gotten another movie based attraction.

• i believe in faeries.

i'm not totally against it, but not totally for it. obviously, when i'm there (if it's finished by then) i'll check it out. i do have faith however, in Disney's execution (as another poster mentioned as well). i think it will be done beautifully.
    i'm not a huge fan of star wars (blasphemy, i know, lol) but i appreciate the rides and following behind it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by danlb_2000 View Post
    I think Avatar is a good fit for AK for a number of reasons...
    Ok I'll bite...

1. The movie has very strong themes of conservation and living in harmony with nature which fits perfectly with AK
    While true themes of conservation are present in Avatar and are also present in Animal Kingdom. this connection however is extremely loose and does not justify an entire land's creation nor even an extended presence of an alien world being placed within a park dedicated to celebrating the planet earth. the argument of conservation is a slippery slope that people use to justify slamming a square peg through a circular hole. Wall-e explores the theme of conservation in a very similar, if not more in depth way, does that mean that this franchise too deserves a place within the park?

2. There is a very strong nighttime visual element to the world of Pandora. AK needs something to justify staying open later, so if done properly Avatar, along with the other nighttime things that are planned, could give people a reason to stay late.
    agreed, something that extends park hours would be very beneficial. Avatar singularly does not have to be that thing however, as just like you emphasized in your previous point, other nighttime things are planned, meaning that this theme does not need to be relied upon. Anything from a night world based upon nocturnal creatures, to a land based upon mythological or fantastical earthborn creatures, or even another continent with attractions that could separate themselves from the animals to keep them open passed dusk would be a far better alternative with themes that actually fit within the true constructs of the park.

3. All indications are that the land will focus much less on the movie and more on the environment of Pandora which I think will make it feel less like a movie based land.
    This isn't really an argument for why it will be a good fit. If anything it identifies the deeper problem that the movie itself and most likely its sequels were and are not that good, and its purely the imagery and new age technological advancements that produced its large box office numbers. producing something with no substance and connection makes little sense, at the very least equal to or less then creating something that can produce similar visuals and fit within the park without question.

Finally, like it or not, tying everything into a movie/tv show seems to be the way Disney is going. I doubt you will see a new attraction in the US parks not tied to a movie for a long time to come. So if AK didn't get Avatar I bet it would have gotten another movie based attraction.
    What about the creation of animal kingdom itself? the entire park outside of one attraction was created without any film relations and it turned out beautifully with no issue of draw whatsoever. if disney creates something new and backs it well in the media it will produce a quality draw. shoehorning a film into a land is not only lazy but illustrates that the leadership has lost faith in the true imaginative qualities of their now limitted imagineering staff.

@KEBSD

You wrote:
    "It's the worst thing Disney has ever done in their parks."

That's disappointing to hear, I had extremely high hopes for Avatar Land. Before you take the DeLorean back to the future can you also tell us how the AVATAR sequels did at the box office?

• Metro-Retro Historian

As I've said often, there have been many ideas offered to fill out the Animal Kingdom to make it a full day park. Of these ideas, Avatar is easily the worst. Either Beastly Kingdom or a new region themed land would obviously be a better fit thematically. Avatar would work better in Holywood Studios.

I don't get why people suddenly act like Universal is the greatest thing ever. Sure they are doing something, which is better than Disney doing nothing, but I don't think making five variations of the same ride deserves heaps of praise. How many times can you make a 3D motion simulator and keep it interesting? Spiderman, Transformers, Harry Potter, The other Harry Potter, Simpsons, Dispicable Me; they're all some variant of a simulator. This is what's supposed to have Disney running scared?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    As I've said often, there have been many ideas offered to fill out the Animal Kingdom to make it a full day park. Of these ideas, Avatar is easily the worst. Either Beastly Kingdom or a new region themed land would obviously be a better fit thematically. Avatar would work better in Holywood Studios.

I don't get why people suddenly act like Universal is the greatest thing ever. Sure they are doing something, which is better than Disney doing nothing, but I don't think making five variations of the same ride deserves heaps of praise. How many times can you make a 3D motion simulator and keep it interesting? Spiderman, Transformers, Harry Potter, The other Harry Potter, Simpsons, Dispicable Me; they're all some variant of a simulator. This is what's supposed to have Disney running scared?

I went on Spiderman years ago and thought it was awesome. Went on Transformers this year and really did not like the concept. Felt like we were being jerked around and just watching different movies. Big let down. But there are plenty of people who like it. I havent been on Potter yet but can say, I was disappointed to learn it was that same type of ride and have low expectations. Would love to see the details of the land though. Will try to make a day for Universal on my next trip to WDW...
    Back on topic, I am not at all excited about Avatarland, I think Disney could have done just about anything different and made it better. That being said, I think they will do a good job and people will enjoy it. I wouldnt plan a trip around it though, I will go back to WDW regardless of if this ever gets done

@Dapper Dan

I really can't understand the negativity. You dislike Avatar being added to Animal Kingdom but your alternatives are the Beastly Kingdom or yet another region. The Beastly Kingdom would have had unicorns, sea monsters, dragons, and a castle. Things that we've already seen before in plenty of other parks.

Avatar Land will have glowing plants and trees, floating mountains, and creatures we haven't seen in any park. Being there in the day or especially at night will be a totally unique experience that you can't get anywhere in the world except Disney's Animal Kingdom.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    @Dapper Dan

I really can't understand the negativity. You dislike Avatar being added to Animal Kingdom but your alternatives are the Beastly Kingdom or yet another region. The Beastly Kingdom would have had unicorns, sea monsters, dragons, and a castle. Things that we've already seen before in plenty of other parks.

Avatar Land will have glowing plants and trees, floating mountains, and creatures we haven't seen in any park. Being there in the day or especially at night will be a totally unique experience that you can't get anywhere in the world except Disney's Animal Kingdom.
    just because something is unique does not mean it should be done...

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    just because something is unique does not mean it should be done...
    By that logic Disneyland and Walt Disney World wouldn't exist.

• Disney Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    True, but I think he means that the logical reasons for NOT doing Avatar in AK outweigh the reasons FOR doing it.

It seems that most people agree that Avatarland, whether we support it or not, will be executed well. I would much rather the Imagineers spend there time developing something original.

The Beastly Kingdom would have unicorns, sea monsters, dragons, and a castle. Things that we've already seen before in plenty of parks.
    I know that Beastly Kingdom would have dragons, unicorns, and castles, all of which could be found in other parks. However, Disney itself has not made an attraction/land that includes all of these concurrently. Think of the possibilities! I have seen Harry Potter's Dragon robot. It didn't impress me, nor did the Dementors for that matter. But the Disney Audio-Animatronics consistently impress me, and they're getting better.

If Disney were to make a mythical land of dragons, unicorns, and castles, I have no doubt it would impress. After all, Disney has made many mountains, too, haven't they? No one argued against building Expedition Everest because it was similar to the Matterhorn! No one argued against building Mission: Space because there was already a ride that took you to space (Space Mountain)! No one argued against building Maharajah Jungle Trek because there was already a Pangani Forest trail. Yet each of these rides/attractions is unique. Disney has been using similar themes in their attractions for years, but no one claims redundancy.

One cannot say that Beastly Kingdom would not be a unique experience because it has dragons that can be found in other parks. Because I could probably guarantee that the dragons found in Beastly Kingdom would be unlike anything we've ever seen in a theme park. (Hopefully the Audio-Animatronics would not be as problematic as the Yeti in Expedition Everest, but that's another can of worms...)

@imagineer97

I certainly agree with you 100% that Disney would have done an excellent Beastly Kingdom. And if they ever break ground on it someday I will be excited to experience it. But Avatar is something totally unique, and being done by the Disney Imagineers as well. The best doing something really and truly new sounds awesome.

Didn't we already have many threads on this exact topic? why are we just regurgitating the same thing on this...

Its going to be built.. it will be awesome.. lets move on.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfire View Post
    lol thats a stretch.... the only logic that this dictates is that uniqueness and quality of an idea are not mutually exclusive.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast