Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Avatar-Land---Good idea or Bad idea??

@goofy donald

Why are you referring to Disney's Hollywood Studios as MGM? It's been over six years since the name change. Normally I wouldn't even inquire and just assume you've ways called it MGM and you just want to continue calling it MGM. Except that you wrote a very lengthy and detailed post about numerous changes to that park but you refuse to call it by it's changed name.

• former CM

[QUOTE from Dapper Dan's page 4 post 58 of this thread] Except Beastly Kingdom animals are already there.
    Attachment 35289
    We'll start our journey by parking in the unicorn lot.

Attachment 35290
    Next we take a look at the park logo. Hey what's that animal in the DEAD CENTER?

Attachment 35291
    Here's a closer look at that animal from the actual welcome sign at the park's entrance. I'm pretty sure that's not a banshee.

Attachment 35292
    That same logo with the same mystery animal can be seen here on a bench in the park's entrance plaza.

Attachment 35293
    Here is is again in a light fixture at that same plaza.

Attachment 35294
    There are three ticket booths at the park entrance. One has an elephant head, one has a Triceratops head, and the third one has this unknown animal. It's almost like they were trying to create some sort of running theme. If you look closely there are some other animals in the background. I wonder if we'll find anything there?

Attachment 35296
    Here we see a butterfly, some sort of lizard, a stegosaurus (my favorite dinosaur), and some sort of bird that looks like it has a cat's body and tail. How peculiar.

Attachment 35297
    Here's another with an alligator, elephant, bear, antelope, fly, and...winged horse?

You can argue that Avatar will be a good land. You can try to claim that it fits the theme, but you can't say that Beastly Kingdom doesn't fit the theme of the Animal Kingdom. It's already there and has been a part of the park since the beginning. It's probably one of the big reasons why fan's won't let that concept go. The foundation is already there.[/QUOTE]

Hey, DDan, backing up your points with photographic proof isn't fair!

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Except Beastly Kingdom animals are already there.

Here's another with an alligator, elephant, bear, antelope, fly, and...winged horse?

You can argue that Avatar will be a good land. You can try to claim that it fits the theme, but you can't say that Beastly Kingdom doesn't fit the theme of the Animal Kingdom. It's already there and has been a part of the park since the beginning. It's probably one of the big reasons why fan's won't let that concept go. The foundation is already there.
    Cool so if they change all that to imagined creatures from Pandora instead of imagined creatures from Earth we will all accept it then right?

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    @goofy donald

Why are you referring to Disney's Hollywood Studios as MGM? It's been over six years since the name change. Normally I wouldn't even inquire and just assume you've ways called it MGM and you just want to continue calling it MGM. Except that you wrote a very lengthy and detailed post about numerous changes to that park but you refuse to call it by it's changed name.
    No biggie. A park by any other name will still ache your tired feet.

• Disney Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    pixar and starwars are the rumoured expansions to fill out the remainder of MGM with a possible rehab of the great movie ride occurring after those projects add capacity.

regarding pixar, the ideal strategy goes a little something like this IMO:
    1) add ratatouille ride (classic dark ride) and or restaurant in the space beside midway mania
    2) rebuild the backstage area and compact its space utilizing the LMA support area to add expansion space for the monsters inc door coaster project.
    3) remove the remnants of the backlot tour to facilitate the addition of an east coast radiator springs racers and cozy cone quick service dining area.
    4) retheme the honey i shrunk the kids playground to Up! including a walkthrough of the house.
    5) move a smaller pizza planet equipped with a small arcade across the street from toy story where the meet and greets are and move them up the street more to a dedicated pixar character meet and greet area

these additions I feel would be realistic and add 2 awesome e-tickets to the park as well as a sorely needed family friendly dark ride and nice new play area for the kids. also adds a new dining option while maintaining the classics and improving them and getting a better organized centralized meet and greet area together.

regarding star wars land:
    1) first off it should be lucas land as the indy stunt show or a revived version of it maybe is still a great thing to have in the park. and possibly some sort of walk through experience could be added around it with interactive elements like the old well to tie it together as a mini land.
    2) 50's prime time diner stays the same but adds an american graffiti overlay to tie in with the lucas land theme
    3) a pod racers e-ticket should be a must
    4) a dedicated jedi training academy building for the kids built where the old sounds dangerous stage currently is
    5) the moseisley cantina takes the place of the backlot express for dining
    6) possibly another attraction could be added based on the new films as well.
    the pod racers and possible secondary attraction would be added in the backstage area currently occupied by costuming and cast services.

while these would both be great additions, i think there is some further work to be done to really complete the transformation and i rank it in priority bellow:

1) muppet land: give the muppets the credit they deserve with a new 3d show and the rumoured great muppet movie ride as a nice classic dark ride for the family. also retheme pizza planet to rizzo's diner from the movies as the quick service, and retheme mama melrose to fozzie's dinner theater experience where you see muppets perform live while you eat, similar to sonny eclipse at tomorrow land but with muppeteers instead of AA's.
    2) refurb the great movie ride. it needs a bit of work particularily on a few of the AA's and possibly some new films mixed in with the classics
    3) retheme or rework the ABC area. it doesn't fit anymore within the new direction of the park and american idol is a little tired at this point. ABC still could theoretically work but it needs to be done carefully. keep the commissary, add a small test theatre where they show off possible new programming, and change the attraction into some sort of live show where they show the audience how a tv show is made, how the process works, promote their programming with some quick videos from their actors, just a nice light fluff attraction where people can get off their feet for a bit.
    4) Fantasmic: freshen up the show with new effects.
    5) beauty and the beast stage: in the far distant future, tear down this place and open up a huge expansion pad for anything you want on sunset blvd.

if all this was put into action MGM would be set for a long time to come and be a destination for everybody. it would gain 3-4 e tickets but more importantly it would add more stuff to do for younger families which was a major knock of the park in the past with 6+ young family friendly attractions added or significantly improved upon within the park. also makes the theme as a whole better, improves the night time entertainment, and ives better and broader dining options for guests in a park that was knocked yet again for lack of different food options. this would be the perfect direction to take.
    Wow. Lots of ideas here! Quite a few issues though, if we look at it realistically...

1. I agree with the idea for Ratatouille dark ride next to Midway Mania––OR they could put in the Monsters, Inc. Coaster here instead––I would rather they do it your way, but WDW seems to tend on the side of LESS expansion than MORE.

2. East Coast Radiator Springs Racers––I don't mind if they do this (I have an irrational attachment to the Backlot tour, as barebone as it is. I don't really want it to go away, though I know its days are numbered). I don't think they will put in RSR, though, because they have a very similar attraction right down the road––Test Track. Maybe I'm off-base, but I just don't see them putting two fast-car attractions so near each other. I haven't been on RSR, but I have seen videos and it looks awesome. But nonetheless, I don't see Disney shelling out money for both Star Wars and RSR.

3. The Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Play Area needs something. I'm not so sure it should be UP but definitely something other than what it is––I'll bet that barely anyone who plays in it even has a clue what that movie is (more likely, their parents don't even remember).

4. Lucas Land––as much as I like the possibilities that this creates (maybe an actual Indiana Jones ride of some sort!), I highly doubt that they would ever actually name the section "Lucas Land." I would guess, though, with so many more Star Wars movies on the way, Star Wars will be the main event here. Your American Graffiti idea is creative––I would not have thought of that––but I'll bet that they'll just leave this alone. I mean, right now the Backlot Express isn't anywhere near the Backlot Tour, but they don't seem to care. Which leads me to Backlot Express––I have been imagining the Star Wars Cantina there for some time, even before their Lucasfilm purchase. So yes! I totally am for that!

5. Now here's where I start disagreeing! The Muppets 3D Show is fine as it is, in my opinion. I appreciate its existence as one of the last things Jim Henson performed in, and frankly, I don't think it needs an update! People still love it! I always see people laughing as they leave, but not out of insult. I wouldn't mind seeing a Muppet ride, but I don't think they will do this for another decade and a half. Star Wars is coming. More Pixar is probably coming. But once they do this, they will be content to keep the park the same for at least 10 years. Look at how long it took them to add New Fantasyland (when the last major addition to MK was Mickey's Birthdayland in 1988). I wish it wasn't this way, but Disney is a very frugal company––they will only spend money if they HAVE TO.

6. I agree that they should enhance the Great Movie Ride. Totally needs new movies, but NOT ALL new. They've gotta keep it mostly the same.

7. I don't know what to do about ABC. The American Idol thing is popular (I have not seen it), and that's better than having an empty theater (like Sounds Dangerous). I think that they should make a new sound show for the Sounds Dangerous space. Keep it as Studio-like as possible. And by the way, they need to completely gut the dried-out husk calling itself the Animation Tour and just redo it. It's pretty sad seeing the boarded-up windows into what used to be there.

8. Fantasmic––Oh man, that Dragon! After seeing Disneyland's new one, I can't help but burst out laughing at the dragon head on a crane with strips of sparkly fabric hanging down. I am in agreement with you on this one.

9. Beauty and the Beast––Pigs will fly before they get rid of this show. That's all there is to say. It's too popular, and there would be such an outcry if they got rid of it.

Other than my few objections, I totally agree. I think that some sort of piloting-simulator would be cool for Star Wars land––just imagine flying your own X-Wing on missions!

• Disney Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    No biggie. A park by any other name will still ache your tired feet.
    I still verbally call it MGM. I don't care what they renamed it!

If you don't care why would you say that??

J/k had to say that due to other thread.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Cool so if they change all that to imagined creatures from Pandora instead of imagined creatures from Earth we will all accept it then right?
    Deal. When they rename the unicorn lot and update the park logo and entrance plaza decor to replace the mythical beasts with Pandora critters, I'll stop complaining about how horrible a fit Avatar is for the Animal Kingdom. But not before.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

double post
    Last edited by goofy donald; 03-28-2014 at 07:05 PM.

• Minion

Wow. Lots of ideas here! Quite a few issues though, if we look at it realistically...
    1. I agree with the idea for Ratatouille dark ride next to Midway Mania––OR they could put in the Monsters, Inc. Coaster here instead––I would rather they do it your way, but WDW seems to tend on the side of LESS expansion than MORE.
    granted it most likely will be one or the other but to fully complete the land i think wrapping monsters inc around that corner will open up a big expansion pad and more space for the cars land dining and a major central meet and greet. its central to adding park capacity which is very important to execs particularily around the holidays with all those resorts to pack and needing places to put people.

2. East Coast Radiator Springs Racers––I don't mind if they do this (I have an irrational attachment to the Backlot tour, as barebone as it is. I don't really want it to go away, though I know its days are numbered). I don't think they will put in RSR, though, because they have a very similar attraction right down the road––Test Track. Maybe I'm off-base, but I just don't see them putting two fast-car attractions so near each other. I haven't been on RSR, but I have seen videos and it looks awesome. But nonetheless, I don't see Disney shelling out money for both Star Wars and RSR.
    I see where you are coming from but the appeal of adding such a big money franchise to the park and being able to clone an attraction is just too big of an appeal for them to pass up on. the money that disney would be putting out for a clone on a significantly smaller scale due to the lack of the mountain range would be nowhere near the cost of starwars land.

3. The Honey, I Shrunk the Kids Play Area needs something. I'm not so sure it should be UP but definitely something other than what it is––I'll bet that barely anyone who plays in it even has a clue what that movie is (more likely, their parents don't even remember).
    thats why I picked up, its an interesting, different, exotic world for kids to experience and it ties in to the pixar place land perfectly.

4. Lucas Land––as much as I like the possibilities that this creates (maybe an actual Indiana Jones ride of some sort!), I highly doubt that they would ever actually name the section "Lucas Land." I would guess, though, with so many more Star Wars movies on the way, Star Wars will be the main event here. Your American Graffiti idea is creative––I would not have thought of that––but I'll bet that they'll just leave this alone. I mean, right now the Backlot Express isn't anywhere near the Backlot Tour, but they don't seem to care. Which leads me to Backlot Express––I have been imagining the Star Wars Cantina there for some time, even before their Lucasfilm purchase. So yes! I totally am for that!
    lucas land vs star wars land would save them money if anything if money was the concern. doing an american graffiti overlay would take an extremely minute amount of money and would be done up very nicely, and the restaurant is due for a refurb anyways. the mos eisley will not only save space vs the backlot express but will be a way better experience.

5. Now here's where I start disagreeing! The Muppets 3D Show is fine as it is, in my opinion. I appreciate its existence as one of the last things Jim Henson performed in, and frankly, I don't think it needs an update! People still love it! I always see people laughing as they leave, but not out of insult. I wouldn't mind seeing a Muppet ride, but I don't think they will do this for another decade and a half. Star Wars is coming. More Pixar is probably coming. But once they do this, they will be content to keep the park the same for at least 10 years. Look at how long it took them to add New Fantasyland (when the last major addition to MK was Mickey's Birthdayland in 1988). I wish it wasn't this way, but Disney is a very frugal company––they will only spend money if they HAVE TO.
    I like the muppet show don't get me wrong but it needs updates. at least if the content stays the same then the technology should be updated to improve the 3d and the end of the show should be updated so it doesn't look like the mid 1990s. Its one of my favourite experiences in the park but it needs to be updated at the very least in this regard, it deserves that. this is why i listed it after the primary two projects but still the highest out of future needs. they still need to capitalize on the success of the previous two movies or else an expansion wont make as much sense.

6. I agree that they should enhance the Great Movie Ride. Totally needs new movies, but NOT ALL new. They've gotta keep it mostly the same.
    agreed that was what i was trying to say.

7. I don't know what to do about ABC. The American Idol thing is popular (I have not seen it), and that's better than having an empty theater (like Sounds Dangerous). I think that they should make a new sound show for the Sounds Dangerous space. Keep it as Studio-like as possible. And by the way, they need to completely gut the dried-out husk calling itself the Animation Tour and just redo it. It's pretty sad seeing the boarded-up windows into what used to be there.
    I have the jeditraining academy going into the sounds dangerous building and becoming a part of starwars land. i don't believe that american idol is actually popular, that would shock me.

8. Fantasmic––Oh man, that Dragon! After seeing Disneyland's new one, I can't help but burst out laughing at the dragon head on a crane with strips of sparkly fabric hanging down. I am in agreement with you on this one.
    lol so true

9. Beauty and the Beast––Pigs will fly before they get rid of this show. That's all there is to say. It's too popular, and there would be such an outcry if they got rid of it.
    with the addition of be our guest and story time with belle i think the show's removal is becoming more and more likely every day. to be fair though i think we will see the little mermaid go before that.

I don't know what happened Goofy Donald, but those quotes aren't from me.

• Minion

I don't know what happened Goofy Donald, but those quotes aren't from me.
    that was @imagineer97

the message I had for you was that I said MGM by mistake but im glad that was the only thing you seemed to pull out of a post i thought was rather interesting lol

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Except Beastly Kingdom animals are already there.
    Attachment 35289
    We'll start our journey by parking in the unicorn lot.

Attachment 35290
    Next we take a look at the park logo. Hey what's that animal in the DEAD CENTER?

Attachment 35291
    Here's a closer look at that animal from the actual welcome sign at the park's entrance. I'm pretty sure that's not a banshee.

Attachment 35292
    That same logo with the same mystery animal can be seen here on a bench in the park's entrance plaza.

Attachment 35293
    Here is is again in a light fixture at that same plaza.

Attachment 35294
    There are three ticket booths at the park entrance. One has an elephant head, one has a Triceratops head, and the third one has this unknown animal. It's almost like they were trying to create some sort of running theme. If you look closely there are some other animals in the background. I wonder if we'll find anything there?

Attachment 35296
    Here we see a butterfly, some sort of lizard, a stegosaurus (my favorite dinosaur), and some sort of bird that looks like it has a cat's body and tail. How peculiar.

Attachment 35297

You can argue that Avatar will be a good land. You can try to claim that it fits the theme, but you can't say that Beastly Kingdom doesn't fit the theme of the Animal Kingdom. It's already there and has been a part of the park since the beginning. It's probably one of the big reasons why fan's won't let that concept go. The foundation is already there.

I am not disagreeing that Beastly isn't already there, nor that it doesn't fit. I believe it does fit, what I am saying is that it FITS just as much as Avatar fits. To say one is better then the other is ludicrous. They are both fantasy, both fictional, and both not actually part of earth. And to say something like "But the animals from Beastly are a rich part of earth's history, storytelling, and folklore.." I say, so are aliens, and alien planets.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Disney Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    granted it most likely will be one or the other but to fully complete the land i think wrapping monsters inc around that corner will open up a big expansion pad and more space for the cars land dining and a major central meet and greet. its central to adding park capacity which is very important to execs particularily around the holidays with all those resorts to pack and needing places to put people.
    It's true that Disney does love to clone attractions––and speaking of cloning attractions, I wouldn't be surprised if they imported some of the Pixar rides from Hong Kong/Paris. I would NOT support that. Take a look:

Toy Story Land - Attractions & Entertainment

I could see them putting in the RC Racer, Slinky Dog, or the Parachutes, but personally I don't really like any of those. I would rather they do Cars and Monsters, Inc.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by imagineer97 View Post
    It's true that Disney does love to clone attractions––and speaking of cloning attractions, I wouldn't be surprised if they imported some of the Pixar rides from Hong Kong/Paris. I would NOT support that. Take a look:

Toy Story Land - Attractions & Entertainment

I could see them putting in the RC Racer, Slinky Dog, or the Parachutes, but personally I don't really like any of those. I would rather they do Cars and Monsters, Inc.
    the only one of those i could see them doing is the slinky dog. the parachutes and the rc racer infringe on sightlines and therefore mess with their effort to fix the overall theme of the park. even if they consider the slinky dog, it would be between that and the mater ride from cars land. if either of those were added I wouldn't be too upset by any stretch of the imagination. considering the location of midway mania though and the lack of space around it to really expand toy story's influence in a minor way like that, it is rather unlikely IMO that this occurs. IMO the highest likelihood for pixar studios is first a radiator springs racers clone with a toned down backdrop and a few minor elements from carsland like the cozy cone or maters tractor spin. after that I would say a toned down classic dark ride version of the ratatouile ride coming to paris with an adjoining restaurant as well as the monsters inc based attraction due to the success of the sequel. everything after that is a crap shoot.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast