Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Disney Enthusiast

Avatar-Land---Good idea or Bad idea??

We're only a few years away from the opening of Pandora: The World of Avatar in Animal Kingdom. I believe that this is a colossal waste of time, resources, and Imagineering brainpower, and it will not even end up being all that popular. While I recognize the need for a major expansion of some kind (considering what WDW's neighbors up the street have been pulling off for the last few years), I think that obtaining the rights to Avatar was a poor choice. Harry Potter's fan-base is immense, and the Wizarding World appeals to SO MANY that it is guaranteed success. Avatar, while the world's highest grossing movie, did NOT create such a fan-base, and thus, will not be as popular in its theme park form. When you hold a property like Star Wars (which has a fan-base even larger than Harry Potter, I would argue), why waste your time building theme park attractions dedicated to a franchise that is nowhere near as popular?

• Minion

Re: Avatar-Land---Good idea or Bad idea??

its a good idea to be adding more attractions to animal kingdom as not everyone is happy with exploring the wonderful walking trails and details of the park like myself and want something to do.

its a bad idea to add Avatar from a franchise perspective, and a thematic perspective.

• Disney Enthusiast

Disney's answer to the thematic challenge was that the park shared conservation themes with the movie. I haven't seen the movie, but it just seems weird to devote a whole section of a park without any movie tie-ins to a movie. I'm especially bitter because this means no Beastly Kingdom expansion, which would be the obvious response to Harry Potter.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by imagineer97 View Post
    Disney's answer to the thematic challenge was that the park shared conservation themes with the movie. I haven't seen the movie, but it just seems weird to devote a whole section of a park without any movie tie-ins to a movie. I'm especially bitter because this means no Beastly Kingdom expansion, which would be the obvious response to Harry Potter.
    right... because africa, and asia, were both incredibly popular film franchises... and their answer to the thematic challenge is a reach on a good day, complete and utter ridiculousness on any other. personally when regarding beastly kingdom i prefer mixing the mythology in with the reality like they did with the yeti and expedition everest. thats the best way to utilize that theme i this park. BTW if you want to visit beastly kingdom it is still alive and well at least in part at universal orlando.

• Under that tree again!

I have little doubt that Avatarland will be supremely themed compared to WWoHP. Universal is far from perfect and Disney is close to perfect when it comes to building theme parks.

Avatar is a growing franchise, where as Harry Potter is at its end.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• I'm Theme Park Happy!

It's a fantastic idea.
    Micoofy Duck
    Disney Theme Park Fan #4,584,376
    http://www.micoofy.com

Can't be any worse of an idea than building an area based on King Flop....sorry I mean Kong

You haven't seen the movie, but your against it being in the park? What are you basing your opinion on? Something you read in another site? Opinions based on second hand information seems to be the norm on here, lately...........................

YES, I THINK ITS GOING TO BE GREAT, as ive stated on all the other dozens of topics asking the same thing.....................

It's a brilliant idea. It's not like they're just going to set up a giant theater and play the movie AVATAR on a loop.
    This will truly be like visiting another planet. Like going on safari in a bioluminescent jungle in the most exotic of exotic locales. That sounds incredibly cool.
    It will be jaw-dropping.
    Last edited by Disney Adventure; 03-24-2014 at 06:13 PM.

• 10 Year Annual Passholder

It's the worst thing Disney has ever done in their parks.

^Art by me!^
    Check out my
    Flickr page for a selection of my Disneyland Resort photography (and more)! {new photos 9.13.14}
    You can purchase a selection of my photos as well as clothing and stickers designed by me at my RedBubble page.
    Visit my
    Tumblr blog for another way to view and share my photos.
    Radiator Springs Racers ride count: 19

•   
    • Minion

I think it will be sweet. I can't wait to see it.

• failure for lunch

Of course it's a bad idea, but this one will all come down to it's execution.
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• former CM

No one knows.how good or bad this will be.

Everyone probably imagined that Mission Space would be even cooler than it turned out, while I bet Soarin', Peter Pan, Dumbo, Pirates of the Caribbean, and The Haunted Mansion all turned out to be more fun than almost anyone imagined. I doubt that Avatar will be boring or look like any other place I've ever walked or ridden through.

I enjoyed "How to Train Your Dragon" even more than "Avatar," and if the simulator can recreate the experience I felt in those flying scenes or those in Soarin' (but maybe faster and in 3D), it might be incredible. For the boat ride they need to study why Ariel's "Under the Sea" room is depressing to some of us. These lands and attractions are artistic team efforts. Good luck, imagineers! Please don't cheap out on us, RISC. (Rasulo, Iger, Staggs & Crofton.) I hope James Cameron hasn't mellowed and become deferential.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-24-2014 at 09:39 PM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I have little doubt that Avatarland will be supremely themed compared to WWoHP. Universal is far from perfect and Disney is close to perfect when it comes to building theme parks.

Avatar is a growing franchise, where as Harry Potter is at its end.
    Did you ever check out EPCOT's "Kitchen Cabaret" while is showed The Lands?
    Have you been on "Transformers" or "Spiderman"?

The Harry Potter books will not be over till kids stop reading them. And they will be filmed again in two, three or (at most) four decades.

Though it's hard to argue with the MK's world record 17 million a year, but WDW's attendance has been flat and Universal Orlando's has been growing. My daughter and I just finished reading all seven Harry Potter books (well over 2,000 pages) and she's thrilled about going to Universal Orlando and (I'm sincerely disappointed to write) has almost zero interest in going to WDW. I hope she and my wife love both resorts.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

We're only a few years away from the opening of Pandora: The World of Avatar in Animal Kingdom. I believe that this is a colossal waste of time, resources, and Imagineering brainpower, and it will not even end up being all that popular. While I recognize the need for a major expansion of some kind (considering what WDW's neighbors up the street have been pulling off for the last few years), I think that obtaining the rights to Avatar was a poor choice. Harry Potter's fan-base is immense, and the Wizarding World appeals to SO MANY that it is guaranteed success. Avatar, while the world's highest grossing movie, did NOT create such a fan-base, and thus, will not be as popular in its theme park form. When you hold a property like Star Wars (which has a fan-base even larger than Harry Potter, I would argue), why waste your time building theme park attractions dedicated to a franchise that is nowhere near as popular?

Avatar's alien kingdom has no place in Animal Kingdom. It's as big of a problem as TL'98 was to DL Anaheim and DCA 1.0 was to the Disneyland Resport Anaheim. It's Iger's East Coast failure.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast