• Bangarang!

Attractions that could benefit from new tech

A few attractions have recently had things upgraded or new features installed (ie. DL's Thunder) and admittedly not all changes are welcome, but I was thinking today; which attractions could be 'plussed' by having 'modern technology' added to them?

First one that sprung to mind was The Great Movie Ride. I'm not sure what they could do, maybe enhancing a few scenes with the new digital projections, but given the large scope of such attraction there's plenty of possibilities.

Any ideas or suggestions for other existing attractions?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

Re: Attractions that could benefit from new tech

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    A few attractions have recently had things upgraded or new features installed (ie. DL's Thunder) and admittedly not all changes are welcome, but I was thinking today; which attractions could be 'plussed' by having 'modern technology' added to them?

First one that sprung to mind was The Great Movie Ride. I'm not sure what they could do, maybe enhancing a few scenes with the new digital projections, but given the large scope of such attraction there's plenty of possibilities.

Any ideas or suggestions for other existing attractions?
    I mean I think there are a wide range of attractions that could benefit from upgraded tech. the real question is however where do you draw the line between a classic attraction you simply cannot change or updating things to make them more exciting to the modern audience. I think its a small world and carosel of prgress fall under those categories. while they could certainly benefit from new tech, its difficult to say whether it should from a historical perspective.

if i had to pick a top three, I would definitely include great movie ride. updated tech combined with quality actors and possibly some different films would really bring this attraction back to life. another ride that could really benefit is ellen's energy adventure as it has a great story line and message, but the animatronics are subpar at best. if that show scene could be updated in combination with higher quality video for some new films it would be a must do attraction again. finally i think a new imagination ride could really benefit from some new tech. its so hard to capture that concept within a physical attraction and anything new and exciting that makes people think differently or feel differently could be a great base.

• Bangarang!

^Excellent point on the historical attractions. Rides of the Walt era are a given for 'classic' status, but there's certainly a few post-Walt that would fit the bill too. Its just how you define it.

And its funny you mentioned Energy - I nearly wrote that as another suggestion but I stuck with TGMR. Great minds think alike and all that.

Energy could easily have something as simple as falling digital rocks or to be more elaborate some digi-dinos and still keep its traditional feel (I'll leave the Ellen subject for another thread).

The issue with the Movie Ride is that its stuck in a certain time, and I guess improvements could be made with or without new-tech. It does seem though that there is scope in there to add something flashy and new without totally destroying what is still something of a Studios classic.

As for Imagination = yes yes and yes again! lol Although the state its in now, it'd almost be a new attraction if they chose to improve what's there now.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Metro-Retro Historian

Every attraction with animatronics more than 10 years old needs an upgrade. Walt Disney World is not the museum of 70s technology. The goal should always be to create more realistic experiences and to sacrifice that out of a sense of nostalgia for hokey effects is a disservice to the art form. I want to see small world dolls moving like the ones on the Sinbad ride in Tokyo. I want to see Pirates having awesome sword fights and Tiki birds flying around the room. I want people to mistake the animals on the jungle cruise for the real thing.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Every attraction with animatronics more than 10 years old needs an upgrade.
    That is a simple way to qualify what needs an upgrade. Technology doesn't stop so use it.

Fantasyland is awful, but good thing they replaced a lot of the rides.

Most of Epcot makes me sorry its so old.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.