Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Reaver of Souls

Getting around the Resort...

More questions for my upcoming trip...

What is the situation in the parks/resorts as far as getting around is concerned? For instance, if we're in AK, and want to head to DW for lunch and the rest of the night, or we're in a park, and want to jump to another park or resort for dinner, how difficult is that? Do they have regular, efficient inter-park/resort transportation? How long does it take to get from one park to another (generalities, of course!)?

Thanks (again) in advance!
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Reaver, if by DW you mean the Magic Kingdom, you can take a bus from DAK to the MK. Each park has transportation to the other parks, usually via bus, though you can go between Epcot & the MK via monorail, or Epcot & the Studios via boats in addition to busses.

Generally, I'd give about 40 minutes to get from park to park - actual travel time will vary, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Labuda
    Generally, I'd give about 40 minutes to get from park to park - actual travel time will vary, of course.
    This is what I don't like about WDW: Its TOO big. The average ART bus in Anaheim takes far less time.

• Frustrated A/V Engineer

Quote Originally Posted by Reaver
    ...if we're in AK, and want to head to DW for lunch and the rest of the night...
    Just to clarify what my friend Labuda said (hi there, babe!), there's confusion as to what Disney World actually is. Walt Disney World is the entire property, including all of the theme parks, hotels, water parks, the Downtown Disney area and the sports complex. What you were referring to as DW is the Magic Kingdom, the park that's laid out like Disneyland (with a central hub, castle, etc.).

What confuses things even further is that, for the first 15 years or so of Disneyland's existence it was referred to unofficially as the Magic Kingdom. But now it's always The Happiest Place on Earth.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Labuda

40 min!?!? To get from one park to the next?!? You can get from DL to DLos Angeles in that! On SoCal freeways! Are you serious?

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Yepo, serious - just driving in your own car is about a 20 minute trip, on average, if you go the speped limit. Keep in mind that WDW takes up over 40 square miles - it's B I G!
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• Been there-Doing it again

I know my way around the property fairly well and I find it faster to drive my car from place to place. The exception would be the Magic Kingdom because no matter where you park you end up taking the tram to the entrance.

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

Yeah, I discovered back in April of last year what it was like to have a car at your disposal when I hooke dup with a friend who was staying offsite - courtesy of his car, I not only got to go back to the room and get into dry clothes after being in the bad spot on Kali, BUT... also hit all 4 parks in a single day. That was NICE!
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the buses. We usually head out to one park in the morning and then go back to the hotel for a swim/rest break and head out to another park for the evening. It takes 20 minutes or less to get from most resorts to any park.

Quote Originally Posted by karliebug
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I prefer the buses. We usually head out to one park in the morning and then go back to the hotel for a swim/rest break and head out to another park for the evening. It takes 20 minutes or less to get from most resorts to any park.
    This was my experence as well. Still, 20 minutes is a long time. Most ART buses get you from your offsite Anaheim hotel to DL in 5-10 minutes.

• Banned User

You can hop on busses from park to resort... but not ftom DTD to park or park to DTD...

But you can hop on bus to resort.. then DTD...

but if your at the DTD resorts not owned by disney their is a parking spot in bus parking wherew a DTD resort bus will be.. just ask to make sure this is your bus..

Ftom MK to Epcot.. monotail and Visa Versa.. but to every other park/waterpark.. bus...

My two cents worth ... Disney transport can be very convenient ... but usually, it isn't.

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by WDW1974
    My two cents worth ... Disney transport can be very convenient ... but usually, it isn't.
    That's sad. Staying on property and having park hoppers should get you speedy transit between locations, be it par to resort or park to park... It's a disappointment that it doesn't.

WDW covers close to 30,000 acres of land. It is huge. And, unlike DL or DLP, the parks aren't at all near each other. The only two that are relatively close are Epcot and Disney-MGM.

If you are going from one of those parks to the other, or the Epcot resorts, it usually is a quick trip. Taking a trip from a monorail resort to another one or the MK or Epcot likewise is a quick trip. But if say you want to get from the All Star Sports to the AKL for dinner and then take a hayride at FW followed by a movie at DD ... well, it could take hours of transit and leave you in a less than magical mood.

• unsupervised
    My experience in getting between parks isn't as horrific as others here. Interpark travel is generally painless and is closer to a 20 minute ride than 40.

Inter-RESORT is another story all together. As someone who loves to dine at the resorts, getting from resort to resort is a hassle. Generally, you have to take the bus from your resort to one of the parks (the closest to your destination resort is your best bet), then transfer to the other resort's bus at the station there. That's when you should allot 40 minutes travel time.

Yes, WDW is big, but you get all the wonders that come along with that space...like 100+ restaurants to dine at!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast