• Under that tree again!

Disney working toward shorter waits. Think it's working?

Disney spends millions to shorten ride wait times | www.palmbeachpost.com

Posted: 2:37 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 1, 2012

Disney spends millions to shorten ride wait times

• 2 1 1 14

View Larger

WFTV
    ORANGE COUNTY
    As with all magic, it's what you don't see that pulls off the trick.

A visitor to Walt Disney World would have no idea about the park's multimillion dollar project to shorten ride wait times.

"We want our guests to have a hassle-free experience. Let's face it, waiting in line is a hassle," said Brian Britain, vice-president of park operations for Disney World.

So when Space Mountain was closed, crews sped up the vehicles at the loading dock by a half second.

It's a miniscule amount of time with a big payoff.

"By saving a fraction of a second, we're able to provide a half million more guest experiences," said Britain.

At Pirates of the Caribbean, a water jet now loads boats a split-second faster and 700,000 more guests each year can hop on board, according to Disney.

There have also been some major changes, like the new Dumbo Flying Circus, where there is no line.

Riders get a pager. The children can play in the indoor playground and the pager goes off when it's time to fly.

All of the changes are overseen in one of Disney's top secret rooms. Park officials monitor multiple cameras, use complicated algorithms, and computer simulations to calculate exact wait times.

"What our operators do here in the dock, is they input the data into their computer and then it will tell us, based on where guests are in the queue," said Britain. "It will allow us to post a wait time that's more accurate."

Disney said they are right on a wait time, almost to the second.

So far, about 20 of the busiest rides at Disney World have been tweaked as part of the "added capacity" program.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

Re: Disney working toward shorter waits. Think it's working?

i think to a degree it can be said it has but there are obviously flaws in the system still. considering MM+ only got rolled out on full scale a few months back its far to early to make a true assessment of its success. Come back to this topic after christmas and I think we will have a fairly accurate idea of wether this investment has succeeded in helping guests/wait times in the manner it wanted to.

• Under that tree again!

There was something very strange about this story I linked.

I came across it in a web search and the link stated 3/24/14. It took me directly to the news site which showed this posted in 9/1/12. The article does seem to have that old date correct because of its future statements that have come to be.

So I'm wondering if after 18 months have waits dropped?

How many attractions have been sped up by now?
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    There was something very strange about this story I linked.

I came across it in a web search and the link stated 3/24/14. It took me directly to the news site which showed this posted in 9/1/12. The article does seem to have that old date correct because of its future statements that have come to be.

So I'm wondering if after 18 months have waits dropped?

How many attractions have been sped up by now?
    again this point is irrelevant due to the implementation of MM+. any comparison from 2012 to now would not be any good data because they are in the process of implementing a massive overhaul in their system. you could compare from 2012 up until the implementation of the program or 2012 to say what the wait times are like post christmas (or even possibly post summer since the bugs should be out by then) but comparing things to right now would just not be an accurate assessment of weather their changes were working or not.

• Minion

"At Pirates of the Caribbean, a water jet now loads boats a split-second faster"

That gives me a mental picture of CMs using high-pressure hoses to spray guests off the loading dock into the boats, like rioters.

(Okay, I'll slink back to the Disneyland forum now...)

• Banned User

Not sure how a half second speed-up on something like spacemountain is going to do what they claim. Okay you move the coaster off the loading area a half second quicker... That doesn't translate into any more cars on the coaster at any given time, and it doesn't mean you don't still sit in a queue in the car before you start, nor does it increase the speed at which people get in and out of the cars.

The ride has 13 cars going on a track at any given time, each car holds 6 people, they ride lasts 2:35 minutes... assume 15 seconds to load and unload a car and that means in a typical 14 hour day you are going to do complete cycles of all cars on the ride 296 times... a half second savings would allow you to do 297 times so that would mean one full loop of 26 cars with 6 people in each car, so 156 more people could ride it in a given day....now that hardly sounds like much at all and the typical guest will not notice such a small change.

If they want to do something for the guest experience they should address the crowding in the park and the ride wait times will be solved by that.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mackster View Post
    Not sure how a half second speed-up on something like spacemountain is going to do what they claim. Okay you move the coaster off the loading area a half second quicker... That doesn't translate into any more cars on the coaster at any given time, and it doesn't mean you don't still sit in a queue in the car before you start, nor does it increase the speed at which people get in and out of the cars.

The ride has 13 cars going on a track at any given time, each car holds 6 people, they ride lasts 2:35 minutes... assume 15 seconds to load and unload a car and that means in a typical 14 hour day you are going to do complete cycles of all cars on the ride 296 times... a half second savings would allow you to do 297 times so that would mean one full loop of 26 cars with 6 people in each car, so 156 more people could ride it in a given day....now that hardly sounds like much at all and the typical guest will not notice such a small change.

If they want to do something for the guest experience they should address the crowding in the park and the ride wait times will be solved by that.
    agreed, annually it would be closer to a fifth of that number unless they are assuming that by speeding up the load time they also sped up the rest of the attraction as well. just seems like PR jargon to me. as for the latter part of your comment agreed once more. the guest experience would be heightened by more attractions and expansion that would spread the guests more evenly through the resort. It would not completely resolve wait times as they will still exist in the big attractions but they will be better. I think the concern from management perspective is there though that if a reasonable demand is not present for said expansion then there is the fear that more minor people eating attractions will be ultimately vacated and operations costs will increase for no reason. i can see both perspectives.

The mine train is one thing that will help some.. the mine train line is going to completely insaine.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    The mine train is one thing that will help some.. the mine train line is going to completely insaine.
    granted that addition with the new dining, mermaid, and moving dumbo certainly helps thats just one addition to the park with the biggest capacity problem. doing half the job at one of the 4 themeparks isn't going to cut it. the disney springs addition however i feel will make DTD an attraction again and help draw some of the crowds off.

Yea it should.

Crowd control will always be an issue for WDW.. That's just part of the beast when you are the larged vacation destination in the world. There is no fool proof way to make the crowds less or more manigable.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    There is no fool proof way to make the crowds less or more manigable.
    thats not what e are talking about here though, its improving the guest experience. crowd control is only an issue when dealing with the park as an unchanging variable, whereas here we are talking about increasing the capacity and in turn dissipating the crowd. when you do that there is no change to the way crowds are controled, just that the crowd is spread out over a larger area.