Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Walt Disney World increases parking fees

As of today the new parking fees are

• Automobile, taxi, limo or motorcycle: $17
    • Camper, trailer or RV: $18
    • Bus or tractor trailer: $21

Source:
    New parking fees at the parks and valet fees at resorts now in effect at Walt Disney World

• former CM

Isn't parking free at WDW for resort guests?

I have a receipt/windshield pass from when it was 50 cents in the 70s.

At Universal there is a parking fee of $17 (I think--correct me if I'm wrong) per day for those staying at Universal's three hotels. Isn't parking free at WDW hotels for its guests, and if you are staying at WDW don't you get a free parking pass to all WDW lots?

Question answered below.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-30-2014 at 02:35 PM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I have a receipt/windshield pass from when it was 50 cents in the 70s.

At Universal there is a parking fee of $17 (I think--correct me if I'm wrong) per day for those staying at Universal's three hotels. Isn't parking free at WDW hotels for its guests, and if you are staying at WDW don't you get a free parking pass to all WDW lots?
    OK, I just looked at WDW's website to answer my own question and I called to confirm this:
    "If you are a Guest of a Disney Resort hotel, you receive complimentary parking at Disney theme parks for the length of your Resort stay. You must present valid Disney Resort hotel identification to enter the parking lots."

So it is free to park at WDW if you're staying at one of their hotels!
    If you're staying over 5 days this is a savings of over $100 what it would cost at Universal Orlando, if there were over 5 days worth of things to do at Universal Orlando. (Actually, if I went during the halloween event, I could have an excellent week there!)

So, again, free parking everywhere at WDW for WDW hotel guests!
    Take that, Universal!

Re: Walt Disney World increases parking fees

Uh, it's basically free for Universal guests too.

Considering you get to park at the hotel for free and all you have to do is take a boat to either Universal, or Island of Adventures.

Since the hotels are so close to the theme parks there is no reason to feel as if you have to get in your car, drive, and personally park in the Universal parking lot. I mean, at the Hard Rock you can walk to Universal and just a little further is Islands of Adventures.

• former CM

I believe Universal DOES charge for parking for its hotel guests

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post

Considering you get to park at the hotel for free [incorrect in March of 2014 ] and all you have to do is take a boat to either Universal, or Island of Adventures.

Since the hotels are so close to the theme parks there is no reason to feel as if you have to get in your car, drive, and personally park in the Universal parking lot. I mean, at the Hard Rock you can walk to Universal and just a little further is Islands of Adventures.
    Free you say?
    Apparently, according to Universal's own website, it will only only be $10 to self park at their new moderately priced Cabana Bay hotel if you're an overnight guest, but it's $18 at their three deluxe hotels:

Parking
    Your choice of self or valet parking is available at our Deluxe on-site hotels: Loews Portofino Bay Hotel, Hard Rock Hotel and Loews Royal Pacific Resort. [I enlarged this.]
    Overnight Guests Self Parking: $18 plus tax per night . . .

Self-parking is [will be?] available at Universal's Cabana Bay Beach Resort
    Overnight Guests Self-Parking: $10 plus tax per night per vehicle

So again, Walt Disney World offers a better parking value than Universal Orlando for guests staying at their hotels. I agree with and do like that at Universal Orlando--like at the Disneyland Resort--I could park my car then not even be tempted to use it till I left the resort, whereas at WDW I'd prefer to drive ourselves from our resort to dinner at another WDW resort.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 03-30-2014 at 08:44 PM.

• Under that tree again!

I feel this conversation well represents a difference in WDW and USO. Disney includes things to capture business. Universal charges fees all over the place to make more money. It's a lot like the difference between Disney Cruise Line and other cruise lines.

Of course it costs about $20 a day to park at the Disney Port in Cape Canaveral.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    I feel this conversation well represents a difference in WDW and USO. Disney includes things to capture business. Universal charges fees all over the place to make more money. It's a lot like the difference between Disney Cruise Line and other cruise lines.

Of course it costs about $20 a day to park at the Disney Port in Cape Canaveral.
    meh i just think they hide it better more then anything. you really think it costs 275 a night to stay at caribbean beach just on the value of location alone? in those costs you're paying for transportation parking etc. universal is just more up front about it, at least IMO

i always stay on site...fly down, magical express and resort buses...saves a fortune

• #bringevilback

Quote Originally Posted by susanm View Post
    i always stay on site...fly down, magical express and resort buses...saves a fortune
    But having a (rental) car gives you so much more freedom and makes park hopping quick and easy, as well as off site trips, like for USF or even just the store for snacks

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    But having a (rental) car gives you so much more freedom and makes park hopping quick and easy, as well as off site trips, like for USF or even just the store for snacks
    We have considered renting a car but never took that plunge.. I am not interested in going off site when in Disney. I am there for Disney and Disney alone.. Maybe someday I will give it a shot.. We have casually considered moving to Florida so that would obviously change the trip dynamic for us.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post

Considering you get to park at the hotel for free and all you have to do is take a boat to either Universal, or Island of Adventures.

parking at the uni hotels is NOT free - you pay a daily rate.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    We have considered renting a car but never took that plunge.. I am not interested in going off site when in Disney. I am there for Disney and Disney alone.. Maybe someday I will give it a shot.. We have casually considered moving to Florida so that would obviously change the trip dynamic for us.
    My wife and I are DVC members, so we always stay at Disney hotel, but our trips vary; sometimes we stay on Disney property the whole time, other times we roam around. Either way, I can't imagine being without a rental car. The idea of having to take the Disney buses to get around would just take the fun out of the vacation for me. Considering the amount of money you spend on any Disney trip, a couple hundred extra for a car and the freedom in provides is a no brainer for us.

• Minion

I will say it definitely helps those of us that get hit by the rediculous under 25 rule. for my 12 days in florida im looking at an additional 800 plus dollars. plus at least with disney transit you can have a few drinks in the parks and relax with the knowledge your not driving anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBlakesley View Post
    My wife and I are DVC members, so we always stay at Disney hotel, but our trips vary; sometimes we stay on Disney property the whole time, other times we roam around. Either way, I can't imagine being without a rental car. The idea of having to take the Disney buses to get around would just take the fun out of the vacation for me. Considering the amount of money you spend on any Disney trip, a couple hundred extra for a car and the freedom in provides is a no brainer for us.
    The busses are part of the experience for us. I know that may sound silly but we like it.. it is just part of the deal.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    The busses are part of the experience for us. I know that may sound silly but we like it.. it is just part of the deal.
    You know, I feel the same way. I live in Florida and have an annual pass so it doesn't matter now but before I lived here and we would come down there was always something special about getting up as early as possible and riding the bus over to the parks. Especially as an older teenager - I remember the first time I rode the bus all alone with my cousin back when Epcot had computer games and we stayed there all night.

I guess it's nostalgic enough for me that if I ever stay on the resort again I'll probably utilize the bus system instead of driving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast