Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Cast Member Suicide at Contemporary Resort

Very tragic news.

This has been posted on a couple other boards and has been going around Twitter and Facebook as well. Plus a friend of mine's mother in law is a CM at the Contemporary and was there when it happened (which was this morning) & had to re-route guests away from the area and make up excuses as to why. Monorail service was suspended for awhile too but then was back up running again. It happened on the Bay Lake side (hearing near the service entrance to Bay Lake Tower) and they put eventually put a tent-type structure around the scene to block any onlooker views.

Surprised the mainstream news outlets haven't picked up on this yet because I haven't seen it anywhere else outside of the other boards/social media and from what my friend heard directly from her MIL (who was there).

• Disney Renaissance FTW!!

Re: Cast Member Suicide at Contemporary Resort

Such a shame! How did it happen?
    The Disney Renaissance

1989-1999

• Under that tree again!

Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

I just saw that. It's dated 1992 though.

Can't find it anywhere online.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

I can't find it on any Orlando news sites either, not sure why (maybe they want to discourage copycats... or maybe Disney just wants to busy the whole thing). My friend's MIL (who has worked at the Contemporary for 16 years) said it was pretty messy. Also saw on another Disney board (was either WDW Magic or DIS) that a monorail CM posted they were there when it happened as well and that monorail service was shut down until around 8:30am-9:00am because you could see the body when riding. Once law enforcement showed up and covered the scene with a tent, then monorail service resumed.

As to how it happened? They jumped/threw themself off the building.

Quote Originally Posted by RenaissanceMan View Post
    Such a shame! How did it happen?
    Disney Employee Falls To Death At Hotel

Wasps Apparently Startled An Off-duty Restaurant Host On The Observation Deck Of The Contemporary Resort.

November 13, 1992|By Luz Villarreal Of The Sentinel Staff
    LAKE BUENA VISTA An off-duty Walt Disney World employee apparently was startled Thursday by swarming wasps and fell 11 stories to his death at the Contemporary Resort Hotel.
    The accident happened as Brian Hribek, 24, a host at the Disney hotel's Top Of The World restaurant, was showing his roommate the view from an observation deck on the 15th floor of the hotel, police said.

<script type=\"text/javascript\" src=\"http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js\"></script>");document.close();})();' frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="649" height="160">

The roommate, Dwight Auber, 23, an employee at the Yacht and Beach Club Resort, told police that Hribek was sitting on the 4-foot-high concrete ledge at about 1 p.m. when the wasps suddenly appeared. He tried to brush them away and lost his balance, falling backward, Auber told police.
    Hribek, who had come to the hotel to get his paycheck, fell to the fourth-floor deck just under the passageway of the monorail, which slices through the pyramid-shaped hotel. Disney officials closed the monorail for about three hours while authorities removed the body.
    Auber, who shared an apartment with Hribek in south Orange County, could not be reached for comment.
    ''It was a tragic accident,'' said Orange County sheriff's spokesman Cpl. Doug Sarubbi.
    The landmark hotel has two observation decks facing northwest with a view of the Magic Kingdom and Orlando. They are ringed by 4-foot-high concrete walls, but there are no railings or signs prohibiting guests from sitting on the ledge. One sign does tell guests to return indoors during a storm.
    ''There's never been a warning sign up there,'' said Disney spokesman Dave Herbst, adding there have been no other accidents on the decks.
    He would not comment on whether the company would add any safety features to the decks.
    A Disney employee who would not give his name said he was on the deck with a friend about 12:30 p.m. but left before the accident.
    ''We noticed the wasps,'' he said. ''They were huge, all over the place. That's when we came back in. Then a little while later, someone came in screaming, 'Call 911!' ''
    Disney officials said they do not know where the wasps came from. A reporter who walked on the deck two hours after the accident found dozens still swarming.

<script type=\"text/javascript\" src=\"http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js\"></script>");document.close();})();' frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="649" height="110">

Duh!! I didn't realize it was from 1992. Sorry!

Yeah that story is over 20 years old & was an accident. The incident last week was a suicide (jumper). Still so sad and of course Disney just swept the whole thing under the rug and won't confirm anything.

If I were the family, I actually would prefer that the company avoid making it into a big media spectacle. The family could've possibly asked for them to make no statement.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Disney is very good at covering up death on property... Usually they will never pronouce someone dead until the body is off propery.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

To tell you the truth, there's probably no need for a statement. Lets face it, the only real reason why someone would want a statement by the company after a suicide, is just for their reading pleasure. Sometimes families want to mourn the death privately rather than sharing with the public every little detail about the death of their loved one. It's by no means "swept under the carpet". It's more like "mind your own business".
    Last edited by Disneytwins; 04-21-2014 at 05:39 PM.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

Maybe that person decided to join the ghosts at the Haunted Mansion. I hope they were sure to bring their Death Certificate. I don't think the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World is The Happiest Place on Earth, so maybe that's why too.

• Meh

Quote Originally Posted by grrandram View Post
    Maybe that person decided to join the ghosts at the Haunted Mansion. I hope they were sure to bring their Death Certificate. I don't think the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World is The Happiest Place on Earth, so maybe that's why too.
    Ummm, too soon..
    Grim, I lost her once; I'm not gonna lose her again.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
    Disney is very good at covering up death on property... Usually they will never pronouce someone dead until the body is off propery.

ahhh. this old rumor. It is not true. It stems from the fact that legally, once paramedics begin life saving rescue measures, they cannot stop until a doctor declares death, and to do that, in most cases they need to transport to the hospital to get to the doctor.

That said, there have been deaths on Disney property. Most of the time they are natural, such as sudden and terminal heart attack / other natural causes and sometime they are attraction related, such as the the famed incided on Mission: Space with a child that had an undiagnosed pre-existing condition or the employee accident at Primeval Whirl, which was Osha related and unfortunately terminal on site. And speaking of terminal on site, the Tragic monorail accident resulting in the death of one of the Monorail pilots..... is a highly publicized and recent example that Disney does not claim this because unfortunately Deaths do happen on Disney Property.

There have been a lot of deaths that have been reported that have been confirmed on and off property. On the news, I've seen lot of families that make statements of asking for privacy, but the death is still reported. I do not think it was necessarily at the request of the family, but the cause of death of the reason why there are no reports.

While I won't say this was being "swept under the rug" to protect themselves, I do know of a circumstance where someone was injured on a ride pretty badly, was paid off by Disney, and there were no reports of this incident.

Just saying that while the whole "no one is pronounced dead on property" is not necessarily true, I wouldn't doubt there are more things done to make sure some incidents aren't reported. Not saying this one was, but just saying that in general Disney might have the ability to hide at least some things.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast