• Biggest Disney Fan

Vacation During the Most Crowded time of Year

Hi micechatters! I have a question about vacationing during the winter to DisneyWorld from Dec. 23-Dec.30. What tips can you give on handling the most crowded time of the year?

• Minion

Re: Vacation During the Most Crowded time of Year

lol there are no tips to be honest outside of planning way in advance. I would make reservations for all meals you plan to eat in the resort at that time of the year it will actually save time versus lining up for counter service, trying to find an available seating area and then actually eating and the meal you get will be mediocre at best. make as many fastpasses as you can in advance and avoid epcot and magic kingdom on the busiest days. finally just realize that you will not get everything done and don't try to push through and try to get it all done because it simply wont happen. plan to be up early and make rope drops, head back to the hotel for the busiest middle part of the day and then head back out reenergized and ready to go again at night.

• Under that tree again!

^^% Good advice.

On the last note about going back to the hotel, don't do that when visiting the MK, because the gates may get closed and you may not get back in. It hits max capacity on all it's EMH days.

On that note, try to avoid the park with morning EMH. It gets crowded much quicker.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

If your staying on property, take advantage of the extra hours. You can get on rides that are traditionally 1-2 hour waits, with ease.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    If your staying on property, take advantage of the extra hours. You can get on rides that are traditionally 1-2 hour waits, with ease.
    not during this period in my experience....

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    not during this period in my experience....
    Well, it has been great for us, so, everyone has different experiences, or , just don't know how to us the extra hours.

• Minion

Well, it has been great for us, so, everyone has different experiences, or , just don't know how to us the extra hours.
    This usually does work correct, however at this time of year its so busy there is NEVER a time when you can get on rides "with ease". there will always be significant wait times. shorter times then those at say 1 in the afternoon no doubt but still lines.

Make your reservations done prior. Later it would be difficult and expensive, plan out your trip according to the holidays. Places to visit and activities to do should be thought prior. Do a detailed search for the hotel room or guest house, whatever you prefer.

Last year I went from Dec 26- Jan 1. Yes it was crowded and we had to do a lot of planning but it is worth it. The atmosphere is amazing. This was my favorite Disney trip.

The only thing I have to say is get there early and stay late. Yes this might seem obvious but I cannot stress enough on how great it is to stay late.

One night, we stayed and at about 9 or 10 we were able to ride Dumbo, Little Mermaid, and the Barnstormer in less than an hour. That is pretty impressive considering their wait times just an hour before.

This happens because all of the parents go home with their little kids because it is too late.

Lastly, there were wait times for Space and Big Thunder around 6 for over two hours. And at around 10, they were both down to around an hour.

Its not as bad as it seems you will love it! hope I helped and enjoy your trip!

I agree. Get to the park AT LEAST 15 minutes prior to its earliest opening time. This will allow for you to enjoy 2-3 attractions with a greatly reduced wait time. Rule number one when visiting during peak periods is.... GET UP EARLY.

Three tips I could give....

1) GET UP EARLY
    2) DO not book a FP+ within the first 1.5 hrs of park opening.
    3) Enjoy smaller attractions during busiest times of the day.

GET UP EARLY.

Not too early, no need to be at the park 1 hour before opening, after all, your trying to avoid standing in a line for an hour. But get there 15 minutes to 30 minutes before it opens. And by "there" I mean the entrance, not the parking lot, the bus stop, the TTC, or the monorail station, but the actual entrance. The night before set aside a little to go breakfast. A beverage and a breakfast bar, to hold you over in the early morning. Just enough to get you to 10am or 11am at the lastest.

Believe it or not, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Splash, Pirates, Haunted Mansion, and Jungle Cruise do not need to be your very first choice. They all have high hourly capacity and can process a crowed for awhile, though during the week of your visit, a while might only be 30 minutes before there is a 45 minute stand by wait.

But Peter Pan, Dumbo, and Belle's Cottage..... If they are on your to do, it really is best to Bee Line to them one or two of them before heading towards the mountain. If they are not, there is no harm in heading directly towards the mountains.

One plan I have done is Walk quickly to Pan, then quickly to Splash and Thunder. Now double back to Mansion (yes, skip mansion then double back to it because it has an extremely high hourly capacity and therefore can keep up a line for longer into the morning than the mountains can.) After this Eat wonder over to Pirates and Jungle Cruise. It will be about 2 hours later and you will be WAY ahead of the ride count game vs. the normal guests.

Tip two....

Schedule your FP+ attractions for A) After 10am and B) Only for big ticket attractions.

Do not waste your three pre-schedule FP+ options on attractions within the first 1-2 hours of the park opening. Goofy Donald is right, the ride lines will build up FAST, but not Instantly. On a regular very busy summer day, you will have about 1.5 hours before all the mountains and E-tickets (mansion, Pirates, Jungle Cruise) have 45+ long stand by wait times. During that last week of December, you may have only 30-45 minutes before they all do. Either way, by scheduling your first FP+ option to be after your morning mini mountain marathon of madness, you will be able to save your FP+ options for the time of day where it is both hotter and busier.

Tip three, See the smaller attractions during the busier times.

Anyone that has left the MK saying the "every attraction was a least an hour long wait" is not looking at the smaller attractions. Believe or not, the WDW Railroad wait time is usually the shortest at MainStreet Station. Lines at Frontierland and Fantasyland move slower because guest have the tendency to ride round trip from Main Street. People mover, also a great option, though that last week in December, it can be a 20 minute wait, but like the Railroad, its a nice long ride. Mickey's Philharmagic, Tiki Room, Country Bears, Carousel of Progress, and some others do not need FP+ options so don't use FP+ for them them. Sure, they might have 15-30 minute wait, but Space, Splash and Thunder after going to have 90+ minutes and hopefully if you followed tips one and two, you have either a) ridden them in the morning or B) have a FP+ option scheduled for them.

Bonus Tip, the last of hour of park operations also will typically experience greatly reduced wait times. But this comes with a catch, as its hard to be up that last and still follow rule number 1.