Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: POST PHOTOS of burned-out lights, chipped paint, monorails taped together, or...

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Maddogjoe, please prove that I've started more negative than positive ones.

List them
    all with links and organize them into positive, neutral and negative.

Carefully reread my post #1 on this thread
    and put this thread in the neutral category.

If you had the character to back up your accusation without resorting to an incomplete listing of threads I've started, you'd find that you're incorrect and would owe me an apology. Then I would accept that and we'd go and ride Small World together.

Maybe you're attracted to my "negative" threads (where I argue for positive improvements, btw) because you like to see yourself as fighting the positive fight.

In fairness to you, you're not alone. One Micechatter was introduced to me at a Knott's Scary Farm's Micechat meet and when he was told I was Jcruise86, he said, "You seem nicer in person" then turned and walked away. And when I met the leader of another Disney website at a Disneyana convention, and politely told her why I thought the Big Thunder BBQ was overpriced when it first opened (the prices were changed), she was not happy and said, "You're Jcruise86!"

As far as your post above, you seem to be defending mediocrity because you believe it's an inevitable consequence of shareholder pressure. You wrote, "Shareholders don't care how much fun families are having." I'm a shareholder and I care because IF families weren't having fun, then Disney would be in trouble--especially in the long run. And I'd care because something that used to mean as much to some kids as their birthdays would be dead.

Now enough about me, let's (please) see some very recent photographic evidence that Walt Disney World is still one of the most beautiful man-made places on Earth, or is a reflection of capitalist America's demise. One light bulb that's out won't do this.
    I'm sorry, I have a job and a family to take care of. I done have the time to make a list with links, but I will show you one.

POST PHOTOS of burned-out lights, chipped paint, monorails taped together, or...

Thats the title of this thread. I reads to me that you are looking for/at as many bad/negative things as you can here. Others are "whats the worst park?" come on, really? I have the "character" to back it up, I just don't have the time.

I'm not defending
    "mediocrity", I'm more of a realist. You may care about whether families are having fun or not, but the majority..... vast majority of share holders couldn't care less. As long as people keep coming to the parks and buying Disney products they don't care if people have fun. It is the same the world over everyone works toward the bottom line. I'm sure you do it your self in your everyday life. You don't buy stuff on sale right? You don't use the big warehouse stores to save money? You don't do with out some things so that you can DO others like go to MiceChat meets?

It is the way of the world. That is what made Walt so special. He was more interested in the family side of things not the money. His brother got stuck with making the numbers work. Once Walt passed so did that mentality. Sure WDW could use a little paint here and there, a light bulb or two, but it is STILL the happiest place on earth. It still brings in millions of people a year.... who btw seem to be having a blast when I see them there.

WDW does what it can.... as their budgets allow.... to maintain the parks. Personally I'm ok with the job they are doing. They do far better than most companies out there. In my job I travel all over New England and see many company buildings, some very big names. Some do a good job of maintaining their property, others not so much. People like you who seem to think that pointing out every little flaw they can spot....or ask others to post for them.... will get the parks back to a fresh construction era are a bit out of touch. Budgets rule the day. You want to see clean perfect settings, be there when they open the Seven Dwarves Mine car. It will be pristine. Oh thats right, you don't go to WDW.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Re: POST PHOTOS of burned-out lights, chipped paint, monorails taped together, or...

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    I'm sorry, I have a job and a family to take care of. I done have the time to make a list with links, but I will show you one.

POST PHOTOS of burned-out lights, chipped paint, monorails taped together, or...

Thats the title of this thread. I reads to me that you are looking for/at as many bad/negative things as you can here. Others are "whats the worst park?" come on, really? I have the "character" to back it up, I just don't have the time.

I'm not defending
    "mediocrity", I'm more of a realist. You may care about whether families are having fun or not, but the majority..... vast majority of share holders couldn't care less. As long as people keep coming to the parks and buying Disney products they don't care if people have fun. It is the same the world over everyone works toward the bottom line. I'm sure you do it your self in your everyday life. You don't buy stuff on sale right? You don't use the big warehouse stores to save money? You don't do with out some things so that you can DO others like go to MiceChat meets?

It is the way of the world. That is what made Walt so special. He was more interested in the family side of things not the money. His brother got stuck with making the numbers work. Once Walt passed so did that mentality. Sure WDW could use a little paint here and there, a light bulb or two, but it is STILL the happiest place on earth. It still brings in millions of people a year.... who btw seem to be having a blast when I see them there.

WDW does what it can.... as their budgets allow.... to maintain the parks. Personally I'm ok with the job they are doing. They do far better than most companies out there. In my job I travel all over New England and see many company buildings, some very big names. Some do a good job of maintaining their property, others not so much. People like you who seem to think that pointing out every little flaw they can spot....or ask others to post for them.... will get the parks back to a fresh construction era are a bit out of touch. Budgets rule the day. You want to see clean perfect settings, be there when they open the Seven Dwarves Mine car. It will be pristine. Oh thats right, you don't go to WDW.
    That might make some sense with The Walt Disney Company and Walt Disney World weren't significantly larger now than in the past with even bigger budgets.

Oh, and Walt was quite dead in 1971. He was still dead in the 1980s. Still dead in the 1990s. And just as dead in the early 2000s. He was just as dead in the mid-2000s when the attitude you find so acceptable killed two people at Disneyland and suddenly the money was found to do so much more than what people such as yourself said could be done. There is no lack of money, just no desire to spend it because plenty of people will vociferously defend ever cut at Walt Disney World as somehow necessary for the Resort's survival as though it was some mom and pop operation cutting its teeth against the big boys.

• former CM

Please post photos of everything THAT'S BEAUTIFUL & FULLY FUNCTIONING AT WDW or...

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    That might make some sense with The Walt Disney Company and Walt Disney World weren't significantly larger now than in the past with even bigger budgets.

Oh, and Walt was quite dead in 1971. He was still dead in the 1980s. Still dead in the 1990s. And just as dead in the early 2000s. He was just as dead in the mid-2000s when the attitude you find so acceptable killed two people at Disneyland and suddenly the money was found to do so much more than what people such as yourself said could be done. There is no lack of money, just no desire to spend it because plenty of people will vociferously defend every cut at Walt Disney World as somehow necessary for the Resort's survival as though it was some mom and pop operation cutting its teeth against the big boys.
    Wish I'd written that.

If only Steve Jobs had been healthy at the end of his life while he was Disney's biggest shareholder,
    and if he hadn't been distracted by running Apple,
    and if he had become obsessed with Disney's parks.
    Or if he had had his Lasseter cloned, then physically raised & educated at super-speed and then been around to back him up.

I guess Jobs' widow, that Marvel guy, and George Lucas are inactive stockholders, trusting Bob Iger on everything because he is a dramatic improvement over the post-Wells Eisner.

U Orlando clearly is and has been going big with new lands and attractions, so if they are rewarded with increased attendance while WDW's remains flat in 2014 & 2015, then Disney will have to get back on the fast track they stepped off of over 12 years ago, unless they are really, really stupid. I'm talkin' Eisner after Wells' death stupid, or John Sculley & and his successors after Apple ousted Jobs stupid. No, no one could ever be THAT stupid and hesitant so invest in one of the things the company has done best.
    (Great attractions for Disney and innovative, "insanely great," beautifully designed products for Apple.) Tick. Tock. Tick. Tock. [Note to self: Insert shot of Wallace Shawn from The Princess Bride: "We're waiting!", but superimpose a WDW sweatshirt & Mickey Mouse ears on him. Yeah, I'll get to that later.]

Shanghai Disneyland will hopefully be so awesome that I'll owe Iger an apology for questioning his devotion to new them park lands and attractions.

I get that the the Magic Kingdom's world record 17,000,000 a year might be something that shouldn't be increased for now, but the Studios and EPCOT could use DCA-level (Carsland & Buena Vista Street) investments now for scenic lands and E-ticket attractions.

At least give us a new Soarin' Over America next year. "Avatar in 4 years" is inadequate. Break ground on a Studios Stars Wars land that tops all of the Wizard Worlds of HP, ASAP.

Maddogjoe, you're right, I should have had the
    title of this thread stress the negative AND the positive, and not have depended on the intriguing "or" to keep Micechatters reading. Although there is a wealth of photos of flaws on Micechat (Kevin Yee's archived collection,5thrider's sign at D.land, that thread on Maelstrom a while back) the fact that I'm not seeing some recent shots of burned out lights by numerous disappointed Micechatters makes me think that the upkeep might not be as bad as Kevin described, but didn't photograph last week week.

Still, one can't take interesting photographs of things NOT being built for over 12 years. It's not like taking photos of the cats at Disneyland:
    Please post photos of Disneyland's real cats
    (=^ ^= Speaking of my negative threads.)

BTW, are there live, rodent-eating cats at WDW, besides the big ones in the Animal Kingdom?

Speaking of rodents, Paris' new Ratatouille area, restaurant and attraction might (hopefully!) be another Jcruise shutter upper, unless I can be NEGATIVE!
    BWAH, HA, HA, HAAAAAAA!

GwenRowan posted this on a Disneyland thread that was deliberately created for positive posts:
    Quote Originally Posted by GwenRowan View Post
    It would be hard to list...
    Sometimes I just walk around...
    transported and transformed

I want to suggest though, I think complaining is getting a bad rap
    if the issues are actual...
    nothing is improved when people don't want to look bad by complaining, so they let something that is not beneficial, or is actually a problem go on.... there is kind of a "the ferry isn't sinking" aspect to that. It seems weird when something is a problem but people are more concerned about being negative and they try to be positive...
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-27-2014 at 10:10 AM.

• former CM

POST PHOTOS of WDW looking practically perfect in every way OR. . .

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    ...you are looking for/at as many bad/negative things as you can here. Others are "whats the worst park?"...
    And along with the worst one I started this thread on the best park:
    What's the best Disney park on Earth?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-01-2014 at 04:55 AM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I like a MiceChatter who speaks out. This place would be way too boring if all our threads were only about the "Good". We all know that nothing in this life is perfect.

I thank the many MiceChatters, over the years, who have made me think, and taught me things that I didn't know, and made me aware of a different angle of a topic.

Vanilla is yummy, but too much sours my stomach.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Barbaraann View Post
    I like a MiceChatter who speaks out. This place would be way too boring if all our threads were only about the "Good". We all know that nothing in this life is perfect.

I thank the many MiceChatters, over the years, who have made me think, and taught me things that I didn't know, and made me aware of a different angle of a topic.

Vanilla is yummy, but too much sours my stomach.
    I just had a little (very little) vanilla Haagen Dazs, but caramel was swirled in.

Here's Robert Niles' article back in July of 2012 where he ranked all of Disney's theme parks, which I'm linking because it was interesting to me to read his take on the parks:
    Ranking the Disney theme parks: What is the world's best Disney park?
    Some fans objected to where he ranked EPCOT in the comments after the article.

Speaking of Robert Niles' ranking, I hope to visit Tokyo Disney Sea and Hong Kong Disneyland--if I could do so when the Tokyo Disney resort isn't too crowded. I went LONG ago and loved it.

I don't think crowds should be ignored when ranking parks because waiting two hours for (Tokyo's) Toy Story Midway Mania limits what else you can do and how much I can drink before I get in line.

I want to go to Hong Kong Disneyland partly because I'd love to see the beautiful city of Hong Kong even more than I want to see that park. (Though seeing big hills so close behind Anaheim's cloned castle would be trippy for me.)

I want to see what the crowds and the smog are like at Shanghai Disneyland--though I'd be fine with just a few days of that air. If I had the money and if such a cruise existed, I'd LOVE to visit all of the Asian Disney resorts via a Disney cruise that started and one city and ended in another so I could extend my stay at both the starting and ending locations. Of course, I'd want Disney to arrange special things like a ride on Tokyo's Pooh before the park opens. It could happen!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-01-2014 at 04:54 AM. Reason: The relentless pursuit of perfection. (Kidding.)

Last edited by janicesheets; 04-30-2014 at 10:18 PM.

• Not here to help

Not of bulbs but still... the pictures are a bit old but two of them are from MK.
    Timmy´s "Where In Walt Disney World Is This?"
    The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• former CM

Here is a Walt-like quote (from p. 567) from Steve Jobs to his biographer Walter Isaacson (p. 567) near the end of his life that I think relates to discussions of quality:

"My passion has been to build an enduring company where people were motivated to make great products. Everything else was secondary. Sure, it was great to make a profit, because that was what allowed you to to make great products. But the products, not the profits, were the motivation. . . It's a subtle difference, but it ends up meaning everything: the people you hire, who gets promoted, what you discuss in meetings.

Some people say, 'Give the customers what they want.' But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, 'If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, "A faster horse!"' People don't know what they want till you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page."

Note that (p. 562): "In May 2010 Apple surpassed Microsoft as the world's most valuable technology company, and by September 2011 it was worth 70% more than Microsoft. . . "

There was a funny, fitting headline in The Onion after Steve Jobs died: "The last American
    who what the f--- he was doing just died".

• Banned User

Not exactly "broken" but an example of neglect or inattentiveness at the worst.

There's a few maps of Downtown Disney in Anaheim stationed throughout the area. Two of the three maps are updated to show Tangaroa Terrace and Trader Sam's. Oddly this one by where the Mickey & Friends tram drops off hasn't been updated. This has been open since about 2011 but this one map can't be updated?

Small potatoes? Sure, but it's the kind of quality issue that bears mentioning as an example.

Name:  DDmap.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  178.6 KB

• Disneyland 20 year APH

I snapped this a few months at DL

Name:  IMG_2137.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  169.1 KB
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by brianpinsky View Post
    I snapped this a few months at DL

Name:  IMG_2137.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  169.1 KB
    Thanks, Brian! I don't know what that black debris is--it looks like wood charcoal. But I'd rather have it there looking messy than have a CM jump down and sweep it up, because if that were expected during the day, eventually a CM might be hurt. I'd rather that were cleaned up at night when the monorails aren't running. Or maybe if could be swept up with an extra long broom and pan.

When I started this thread, I expected and dreaded seeing photos of WDW decaying.
    Though Kevin has taken numerous photos of what he sees as decline over the years,
    (and Dusty/Norm regularly shows flaws in his Disneyland updates--that are often quickly fixed)
    and though there were photos about two years ago of Maelstrom decline,
    and though the area around Spaceship Earth could look MUCH better. . .

. . . well despite all that, I'm glad that those who get to WDW regularly have not presented this thread with dozens of photos of WDW looking neglected in 2014. Maybe reports of WDW's death have been greatly exaggerated. Most adult guests now have cameras on their phones, so I expect we'll know when things go wrong.

I'm looking forward to spending at least a few days at WDW next year before we spend two or three at Universal Orlando. Despite all the new development at Universal, it says a lot for those who've worked on WDW since my first visit in 1972, that I do expect more from Disney.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-01-2014 at 12:47 PM.

This is kind of what you would be looking for.. they closed River Country years ago but the reminants of it are still there..

Name:  RiverCountry012-550x412.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  88.4 KB
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Banned User

LOL, I don't think anyone is going to be too concerned about a lack of maintenance there.

Jcruise86, I think the real issue in the monorail pic above isn't the debris but whats' that hanging down on the left? You can see the rail on the right has one affixed in congruence with the track but on the left it seems to be off the little white pyramid support.

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    LOL, I don't think anyone is going to be too concerned about a lack of maintenance there.

Jcruise86, I think the real issue in the monorail pic above isn't the debris but whats' that hanging down on the left? You can see the rail on the right has one affixed in congruence with the track but on the left it seems to be off the little white pyramid support.
    lol.. lack of maintance no.. but it is still an eye sore on what is the biggest vacation destination in the world.. why not just get rid of it all?
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast