Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: POST PHOTOS of burned-out lights, chipped paint, monorails taped together, or...

I feel like you can't discuss WDW maintenance if you haven't even been in the parks in the post-Pressler years. That much lost ground takes more than one or two fiscal cycles to clean up! I've been visiting WDW at least twice a year for about half the time the OP hasn't and I believe they receive rigorous maintenance. On this board, Disney Parks cannot win. If big attractions go down for overhauls, they're mismanaging the parks. If a clock stops ticking, it ruins a park day. Sunscreen delaminates paint from plastic and plastic from plastic (this is true, by the way - SPF 50 is like acid on many plastics) and people post pictures and berate City Hall. Contrast this with the fact that entire swaths of the parks are covered in themed scrims for regular painting and cleaning. I see maintenance during every visit. I believe standards are very, very high. High watermark, industry-leading levels.

What ruins it all too often is the complaining around here.
    ~ Erik

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Re: POST PHOTOS of burned-out lights, chipped paint, monorails taped together, or...

We want our Disney vacations to be perfect. Although, I will admit that nothing in life is ever really perfect. We get close. Our emotions control just how close we actually achieve that perfect feeling. It is true that reading about these things, these flaws, these complaints, does color the way we see the parks when we get there. Perhaps we should stop reading Message Boards, and just go in blindly. Then perhaps our vacations would achieve a closer rating to perfect.

Then again, perhaps not.

• Minion

I can only afford a limited time at WDW every so often. While I can’t help noticing the things that are in disrepair, and they do have an overall dampening effect on the mood, the things I take pictures of are the things I WANT to remember. I take pictures of the things I want to show my friends when I get home, or cheer myself up with during the long stretches between vacations.

So, maybe someone with an Annual Pass can help you if you have trouble taking people’s word for what they see, because most people who already have WDW pictures won’t have been setting out to get pictures of disrepair when they went. They’ll probably have been taking “best of” pictures.

You can see my many (hopefully interesting!) pictures in the WDW photo thread! Like others, I believe Disney should provide the very best experience, largely because Walt wanted it that way.

Absolutely, I have seen a few maintenance items over the years, but I'm more often taken with how much care is given over to Imagineering and plussing throughout the parks and, of course, keeping them up.

Just a few of the many things I focus on more than a chip of missing paint or burned-out lamp: printed construction scrims; high-quality construction walls; temporary posters and other bespoke short-run marketing materials adorn refurbishment areas in the parks; heavily themed restrooms and other amenities that simply don't require theming; zero-return interactive elements and games in most parks.

A dingy Space Mountain that remains dirty from one season to another is one thing, but some of the agony over what amounts to minutia can really sully the lens we choose to view the parks through. Walt Disney parks should be held to the highest standard - I just don't focus on minor issues and allow them to taint my short time in the parks.
    ~ Erik

•   
    • Minion

heh I haven't seen many photos yet in this thread from WDW. I did a trip report from 3 years ago when I last visited and I had nothing but good things to say about the resort.

Only thing I noticed in disrepair was the Spaceship Earth ride having a few lights burned out in their "starfield" portion. Not really a big deal.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Only thing I noticed in disrepair was the Spaceship Earth ride having a few lights burned out in their "starfield" portion. Not really a big deal.
    I was relieved when Mickey's hand & wand and the Epcot sign above Spaceship Earth were removed and I think Spaceship Earth has looked much better since then, though I'd like the areas close to it to have just flowers and low fountains so that the bottom half of this globe is less obstructed. What's architecturally extraordinary about Spaceship Earth is that it's a ball, not just a dome, and the bottom half should be displayed, perhaps in yoga pants.

Biggsworth, I agree that if there were burned out lights that stayed dark for long time, we probably would (or will) see photos of them on this thread. (
    I assume that dozens of Micechatters live in the Orlando area and visit regularly. Aren't there are at least a couple of hundred Micechatters regularly visit Disneyland?) Glad you thought the resort was in great shape the last time you were there.

Erik, Disney World hasn't inspired me to go there in a long time.
    I've been to Disneyland as a guest about 100 times,
    I've been to Disneyland Paris three times,
    to Tokyo Disneyland,
    on a 6-night Disney cruise,
    and I've twice worked at Disneyland on attractions.
    I've been to Walt Disney World about 17 times, but not since about 2001.
    I've been to the Disney Family museum,
    got a private, behind-the-scenes & under the MK tour of WDW before they gave these regularly,
    got a private archive & studio tour from Dave Smith,
    got a long letter from Marty Skylar about an idea for a Martin Luther King attraction,
    defended Walt in the L.A. Times,
    read Bob Thomas' Walt bio a couple of times as a kid,
    visited the Disney exhibit at the Reagan Library & Museum,
    posted on Micechat over 2,700 times and (before that) on Mouseplanet over 1,000 times,
    visited Walt's resting place in Glendale multiple-times--once leaving flowers,
    seen many, many Disney & Pixar movies,
    used to get haircuts at Disney Studios because I knew a barber there,
    received a box of "thank you" Jelly Bellies from Disney Hall,
    and received a nice 20-minute phone call from Diane Disney.

Believe me, I'm a life-long Disney enthusiast and I want to go to WDW, and now I'm glad I can rationalize doing so by also visiting Universal Orlando's growing Wizarding World. We just put off our Orlando trip by another year, ostensibly because that will give WDW another year to improve the MyMagic+ experience and give the Harry Potter Gringott's/Diagon Alley crowds a year to die down, but the real reason is because we're just not that excited about going to Disney World instead of traveling to other places.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-08-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: typo & to lengthen the list

Gosh Micechat is negative. I'd like to celebrate Disney, not constantly criticize it.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by paradesintherain View Post
    . . . I'd like to celebrate Disney, not constantly criticize it.
    And that's excellent, Parades in the rain. And yet you found the title of this thread intriguing enough to enter it. (scratching my non-existent, grey, Freud goatee) Verrrrry interesting!

After four straight years of having Disneyland APs I found myself focusing on minor details, such as the uninspired uniformity of Tarzan's Treehouse's leaves. Since then I've taken time off in between APs and then returned to Disneyland with an increased appreciation for its many wonderful details.
    May your love of Disney parks also continue to grow.
    Resist the dark side!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-08-2014 at 09:50 PM. Reason: to insert "of" before "Tarzan's"

• Done with MC.

It would be easy to paint this thread as negative and just disregard it. (I was going to make a snarky comment about how nicely it offsets the "Positivity" thread on the DLR side.. but I wont. Oops!)
    The thing is, if we do this right and don't attack each other, it could showcase the real problems in the park (and there are real issues) and perhaps, just maybe, Disney management will see this thread (they do monitor the forum to a degree) and it will shame or inspire them into taking action.
    Last edited by ScottG; 05-08-2014 at 02:49 PM.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

MiceChatters do not constantly criticize Disney/Disneyland/Disney World. Many positive things are said here. I have heard that blanket statement since way back in 2005, when MiceChat first came into existence. MiceChatters do like to analyze things, and discuss the finer points. However, there's a lot of good said here, or I wouldn't have hung around here as long as I have. Thousands, and thousands of threads have been started on every subject imaginable. It's been a lot of fun reading, and learning all these years. A little bit of criticism along the way I believe is a good thing.

• former CM

Again, I'm relieved that this thread hasn't been filled with very recent (2014 recent) photos of flaws. Instead it's been more like. . .

. . . [insert crickets sound effect.]

In contrast, on a Disneyland thread I recently asked for photos of the real cats who live at Disneyland, and the thread quickly had over 100 posts (though many were mine.) While some of the cat photos were from years ago, maybe there are far more cats at Disneyland (50-200) than there are burned out light bulbs in all 40+ square miles of Walt Disney World. Maybe George K. changes them himself at night.

I asked for proof of a negative assertion made by Kevin, and came away feeling better about WDW.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

I know that when I took these photos the park had just experience some extreme conditions with it being New Years but this is still bad show.

Name:  IMG_4688.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  129.4 KBName:  IMG_4691.JPG
Views: 125
Size:  134.2 KB

I know it a little hard to tell but these are garage bags sitting in plain sight on Main Street. If you cannot tell the location here is a map of the location.
    Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  162.0 KB

This made me so furious that I almost went to City Hall to complain but knowing that its New Years Eve they would be inedited still at 1:30a with people complaining.
    Last edited by brianpinsky; 05-08-2014 at 11:54 PM.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234