Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• former CM

Please post photos of everything THAT'S BEAUTIFUL & FULLY FUNCTIONING at WDW or...

Today Kevin Yee questioned the diligence of Walt Disney World in maintaining its parks.

I want to see very recent photos of Main Street lights to see how many (if any) are out,
    photos of chipped paint, or of recently painted things,
    and photos of monorails held literally held together by tape, or of clean, well-maintained monorails.

I'd like photographic PROOF, Micechatters, please. (Or apologies to RISC-Rasulo, Iger, Crofton & Staggs.)
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-27-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Re: POST PHOTOS of burned-out lights, chipped paint, monorails taped together, or...

Oh no. It's the end of the world.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Re: POST PHOTOS of burned-out lights, chipped paint, monorails taped together, or...

Quote Originally Posted by disneytwins View Post
    oh no. It's the end of the world.
    lol !!

• Banned User

March 29th, entrance to Mickey & Friends garage.

Name:  Resort.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  121.8 KB

• Shubisha

Quote Originally Posted by fifthrider View Post
    March 29th, entrance to Mickey & Friends garage.

Name:  Resort.jpg
Views: 930
Size:  121.8 KB
    If this thread is really going to happen, be fair. If something like that happens, is it fixed that day? Is it left there for weeks? There's a lot more to "declining by degrees" than one burnt out light bulb for a day or two of your trip.

• former CM

Please post photos of everything THAT'S BEAUTIFUL & FULLY FUNCTIONING at WDW or...

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    If this thread is really going to happen, be fair. If something like that happens, is it fixed that day? Is it left there for weeks? There's a lot more to "declining by degrees" than one burnt out light bulb for a day or two of your trip.
    Excellent point. Knowing how quickly things are repaired is important to judge these declines, if they exist.

Was the Disneyland sign above photoshopped? I thought nothing was ever out of order at Disneyland since Matt Ouimet tore down the entire park and rebuilt it for the 50th with the mini-ghost of Walt on his shoulder.

I started this thread because proof is powerful and I want "WDW in decline" claims backed up. Post up or shut up. I love WDW, BTW.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-27-2014 at 09:17 AM.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

So I take it saying DCA does not count.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

I'm a firm believer in if going to WDW and seeing chipped paint, broken bulbs, etc, is how you would like to vacation and waste all the money you spent, you really need to vacation elsewhere.

Just my own personal opinion.

I'm The Steven
    "Honey, its time for our annual vacation to Disney to take pictures of chipped paint......."

You have just been enlightened.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I will say, in my 3 months working at Magic Kingdom last summer, I saw no noticeable burnt out lights or paint issues, refurbishments everywhere, and well kept parks.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by The Steven View Post
    I'm a firm believer in if going to WDW and seeing chipped paint, broken bulbs, etc, is how you would like to vacation and waste all the money you spent, you really need to vacation elsewhere.
    The Steven, welcome to micechat! I wouldn't encourage anyone to go out of their way to look for the negative, but some of us Disney OCD freaks have a messianic complex and--like those experienced at spotting counterfeit money--we just notice things that less discriminating patrons miss. Sometimes our pointing them out is a altruistic act to improve the magical details for others, and sometimes we just enjoy being whiny and obnoxious.

I agree that some Disney tourists should also consider visiting our national parks, Washington, D.C., our great cities, other countries, etc. After a 2-year break from APs we came back to Disneyland in increased enthusiasm and positivity.

BrianPinsky, feel free to add DCA details or flaws from other parks, though I did put this in the Walt Disney World section.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-27-2014 at 09:19 AM.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst View Post
    I will say, in my 3 months working at Magic Kingdom last summer, I saw no noticeable burnt out lights or paint issues, refurbishments everywhere, and well kept parks.
    Excellent! Thanks, Disney Analyst!

And if Kevin does back up claims of decline in his article, I hope he does so with frequent and numerous photos each week, and I hope that others come back with an overwhelming number of photos of Disney park perfection, though they wouldn't render Kevin's evidence meaningless--especially if a glaring flaw (
    "glaring" to discriminating Disney fans who've developed higher Disney expectations at Tokyo Disneyland, on a Disney Cruise, or at the new WDW in the 70s.) is not quickly repaired.

Like Apple users and guests at Four Seasons or Ritz Carltons, some of us Disney enthusiasts have high expectations that have at times been satisfied. We've been spoiled in the past and, if disappointed in WDW over the last 12 or so years, we hope that the next great Walt Disney World will be an improved Walt Disney World. IF WDW is in decline, I hope it can make an excellent and beautiful comeback as Disneyland did for its 50th--and I hope WDW doesn't wait till 2021 to do this.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-27-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    The Steven, welcome to micechat! I wouldn't encourage anyone to go out of their way to look for the negative, but some of us Disney OCD freaks have a messianic complex and--like those experienced at spotting counterfeit money--we just notice things that less discriminating patrons miss. Sometimes our pointing them out is a altruistic act to improve the magical details for others, and sometimes we just enjoy being whiny and obnoxious.

I agree that some Disney tourists should also consider visiting our national parks, Washington, D.C., our great cities, other countries, etc. After a 2-year break from APs we came back to Disneyland in increased enthusiasm and positivity.

BrianPinsky, feel free to add DCA details or flaws from other parks, though I did put this in the Walt Disney World section.
    I understand the need to notice coupled with high expectaions. Bundle them with human nature and its an extremely volatile cocktail. If you're walking towards Tomorrowland and long rows of neon are burnt out that could indeed disrupt the illusion. But I personally have never seen that.

Chipped paint happens, burnt out light bulbs, it happens in our own homes of few, what do people expect in a 40 year old theme park/parks of many? The mythical standard of perfection is just that, a myth. There was no internet in the 80's where we had access to instant information, with photos to accompany, just by clicking a mouse.

We are complaing about the wrong things with this topic. My feeling is if you see this stuff, you're missing the real intent of WDW.

I'm The Steven
    What would Walt say?
    You have been enlightened.

• Minion

On bulbs...

The linked pic below of the Boardwalk, where we stayed in March, will give you an idea of the notorious burned-out bulb situation at, paradoxically, all the deluxe resorts with popcorn lighting (Grand Floridian, Yacht & Beach, Boardwalk).

https://www.flickr.com/photos/liangj...72774/sizes/o/

Look at the "waves" along the roof. This pic was taken in December '13. It was the same in March '14 and not much different in 2012, when I was last there. Resort managers don't have the care or eye or budget (probably all 3) to do anything about it. Extend that type of 'Show' across all the above mentioned resorts and you have an idea of the maintenance standards of this aspect of WDW.

The MK & EPCOT are better than the resorts regarding popcorn burn-outs, but far from flawless. There are even numerous lights out along the EPCOT rooflines for Illuminations.

It is a sad fact that maintenance budgets, staff, standards and shifts (per park) are far reduced from 'hey-day' Nunis years of the 80s into the early 90s (as recounted by WDWMagic's Alectronic, a veteran of WDW maintenance dept. for decades). Maintenance may not have been without flaw back then (pre-internet), but it was much, much better. I recall promotional materials or articles back in the day wherein WDW managers would boast publicly about the sterling maintenance standards; about how bulbs were checked daily and then switched out when they reached 75% of expected life (or something to that effect).

Did my silent, mental noting of burned out bulbs ruin our vacation? Of course not. No one else probably made conscious note (though I feel there is a subconscious effect). But it is indicative of how far maintenance standards have fallen. On Dinosaur, more effects seemed to be off than on. On Big Thunder, nothing in the flooded town was moving. On Jungle Cruise, the hippos were dead and static. Etc., etc., etc.. All these things add up to make a less compelling experience for new visitors and less incentive to return for veterans.
    Last edited by RandySavage; 04-24-2014 at 09:16 AM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Kevin Yee has been documenting the "decline by degrees" on MiceAge/MiceChat for years. His evidence is in that body of work.

• Heavy Breather

Nobody goes to Walt Disney World to see chipped paint or burnt out lightbulbs. They go to have a great time.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast