Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

(hotels at) Disney Resort

I have been to Disney World several times (16) and I am going again in June, I have never stayed at the Polynesian, is it nice and are the rooms comfortable? Also is the food at Ohana good, and would you reccomend Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary?

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

I've not stayed at the poly before, but I have heard good things about it.

As for Ohana, great food, wonderful atmosphere! Chef Mickey's? Well, fun atmosphere, but average food IMO.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life
    Ohanas is fantastic, as is Chef Mickeys, which is just an all-around fun meal. Polynesian is fantastic, especially since most of the longhouses have recently been refurbished. Just ask for a refurbished room--shouldn't REALLY be a problem, unless they fall behind schedule, as the only remaining non-refurbished longhouses are currently scheduled to already be under wraps by June. The Volcano Pool is very nice
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

• Disney Memory Maker

I can't vouch for the rooms, but the overall atmosphere of the Poly is superb. Definately the best Magic Kingdom Resort. Ohana's is great and also the Kona Cafe is one of the best breakfast places on property (and no PS is required). Chef Mickey's is great. The food is great, the characters are great, and the whole atomosphere is great. That said, it is also one of the most overrated restaurants on property. IMO, they don't have the best food (definately great though). That would go to Garden Grill. Also, being a big crowded restaurant, the characters can only spend so much time with each table. If you want a lot of time with the characters, I'd recomend Garden Grill, the GF Cinderella place, or the place in the Y&B club (can't remember the names of either).

-Michael
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

Ohana's has great food and we love Chef Mickey's for breakfast,especially. We would much rather do a character meal than wait in line in the parks for autographs. The food is good and there are choices to please everyone.

The Poly is wonderful, although it is in the midst of a MAJOR renovation. The lobby is a bit of a mess right now as infrastructure that dates back to 1971 is getting torn out and things like shops and the fast food locale are getting moved. The rooms are quite large by WDW standards.

'Ohana is a wonderful restaurant for dinner, although very ordinary for breakfast.

I personally hate Chef Mickey's, although the food for both meals is good (or was when I last went there five years ago) but it is VERY loud and there are lots of brats running around, while their parents either are or act blissfully ignorant. But I hate character meals to begin with.

More help please!!

Thank you all so much for your opinions, it really helped, yet I am still debating on whether I should eat at Chef Mickey's or not because it's gotten good and bad ratings. Is there any where else that has really good food for breakfast on the Disney Property? Now i'm also stuck about Staying at Polynesian, I don't want to be there in the middle of a renovation. That could be bad if you know what I mean, I have tried all of the moderate resorts, and the Animal Kingdom Lodge. What other ones are nice? Please I need more opinions, thanks so much!!!!!!

-Megan

• Minion

I have only two words for breakfast at the Kona Cafe...

TONGA TOAST

I don't think you will have a problem staying at the Poly. By the time you get there, most of the work will be completed and it is a wonderful, relaxing resort.

Best breakfast on property (and one of WDW's best kept secrets) is Boatwright's at Disney's Port Orleans Riverside Resort. Another good place, is the Trails End Buffet at Pioneer Hall at FW. I honestly think it's crazy to spend $21, or whatever it costs, for breakfast foods with loud kids and characters.

I've also heard very good things about Fresh at the WDW Dolphin, although I haven't had a chance to try it yet.

Dining

Ok, thanks I know I am going to eat at 1900 Park Fare because we have eaten there before and they have great food, also is the Grand Floridian nice or a waste of money because im considering that also.

• Uber Disney freak! șOș

If you enjoyed the ANimal Kingdom Lodge and are weary of staying at the Poly during renovations, I suggest the Wilderness Lodge. It's FABULOUS, and WDW1974 can fill you in on all you want to know since he's stayed there not too long ago IIRC.
    -Ann

WDW:
    July 1987 - offsite, 1-day visit to the MK; July-August 2000 - honeymoon - Port Orleans (now POFQ); May 2003 - Caribbean Beach Resort; Dec 2003 - Coronado Springs; April 2004 - Pop Century (PC) & POFQ; Sept 2004 - Animal Kingdom Lodge; May 2005 - Port Orleans Riverside; Sept 2005 - PC; Oct 2006 - POFQ; Apr 2007 - PC; July 2007 - Boardwalk Villas (WOO HOO! I was at WDW in the MK on the 20th anniversary of my first visit!); August - Sept 2007 - Old Key West; Sept 2007 - Saratoga Springs; Oct 2007 - BWV; Mar-Apr 2008 - SS

DLR:
    Dec 2001 - Grand Californian; Jan 2005 - GC; July 2005 - HoJo Anaheim & GC; Dec 2008 - Best Western Park Place Inn

p.s. Wanna buy a ?

• Rat Tat Tat.

Quote Originally Posted by xomegan06
    Ok, thanks I know I am going to eat at 1900 Park Fare because we have eaten there before and they have great food, also is the Grand Floridian nice or a waste of money because im considering that also.
    I recommend the California Grill on top of the Contemporary if you haven't been there yet and you can afford its steep pricing. Since you've visitied so many times, though, I'm sure you're aware of it. Almost exactly a year ago I stayed at the Polynesian. At the time the only rennovations I was aware of was one of the buildings. We stayed in Tokelau, which from our room offered a great view of Wishes and Cinderella Castle. If you don't get a good view from your room, the beach offers piped in music and a great view! It's also very convenient to be next to the TTC so its just a walk to the Epcot Monorail as well as being located on the Magic Kingdom Monorail loop.

Ok, I think I am going to stay at the Polynesian it sounds great, so i'll give it a try. Yes, I am aware of the California Grill, is it really expensive because I have several kids and I don't want anywhere extremely pricey. For my husband and I yes that would be nice, but not with 4 kids if it's to much. How is Cape May Cafe? I have heard that's pretty good. Sorry for all the questions I am just trying to make this the best Disney trip ever for my family!!
    Megan

Ok, I think I am going to stay at the Polynesian it sounds great, so i'll give it a try. Yes, I am aware of the California Grill, is it really expensive because I have several kids and I don't want anywhere extremely pricey. For my husband and I yes that would be nice, but not with 4 kids if it's to much. How is Cape May Cafe? I have heard that's pretty good. Sorry for all the questions I am just trying to make this the best Disney trip ever for my family!!
    Megan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast