Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

25 Years of Disney's Hollywood Studios

Can you believe it? What are some of your memories of visiting this park? What do you think should happen in the future? I've posted a very long article on the history and future with all my vintage photos from May 1989, tons of concept art, and more. I've been to the park so many times over the decades. I really enjoy it- I just wish for more.
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

Re: 25 Years of Disney's Hollywood Studios

I love this park.. Memories I have had here are many including..

1) The Osborn Festival of Dancing Lights
    2) The Beauty and the Beast Live on stage. My wife used to perform as Belle on this show so this show will always have a special place in our heart. We could watch it all the time.
    3) Watching my son take part in Jedi Training.
    4) My special needs sister-in-law and her friend having a blast with the High School Musical show
    5) My wife winning the American Idol Experience.
    6) Getting the director chairs for the Lights, Motors, Action show.
    7) On a down memory my entire family got food poisoning at the Hollywood and Vine.

As far as what needs to be added.. I think updating the Great Movie Ride to include thins like maybe Titanic, Forrest Gump, Avengers, etc..

I do NOT want Carsland there. Keep that in California. Maybe expand the Star Wars presence.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

• Bangarang!

Happy Twenty Fifth to the Studios!

I have many great memories in the park. Some highlights include...

The Muppets stage show, and standing for hours to see the Ninja Turtles as well.

Hollywood Blvd. is just as good a curtain raiser as Main Street USA (just a shame the dumb hat ruined everything).
    The Movie Ride - just incredible. When I was younger though I used to keep my eyes tightly shut for the Alien sequence. I must have ridden it 20 times but I've only seen that part of the ride once.

Then there was the sheer joy of seeing actual Disney films in the works on the Animation Tour. That was some really for real magic in the works in there.

Then there was the epically long Tram Tour and the Golden Girls house. We Brits had no clue who Ed McMahon was, but we still liked to peer over the filming of Star Search.

The short lived Dick Tracy and Ace Ventura shows were also something that was of its time, but still great.

Not forgetting the Indy stunt show. Still one of the best.

And then there was Sorcery in the Sky. Just a tour de force at the time (before Fantasmic!'s days). And who could forget that finale?

All in all, a great park, which perhaps has been overlooked for far too long now.
    Last edited by Hathaway Browne; 05-01-2014 at 10:40 AM. Reason: adding some more memories!

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• formerly very helpful

One memory I have is the first time I ever experienced the 3D sound booth. I was blown away. I'd never experienced anything like it.

I also loved their original icon with the Chinese Theater at the end of Hollywood Blvd. I hope it gets unblocked soon.

• MC Blogger

Blog Entries

One of the highlights for me was getting my oldest daughter's coloring page put up on the refrigerator in Prime Time Cafe. She's 28 now- but then, it was the thrill of the day!
    Mark

Disney parks and art, movies, music, more... Over 1, 000 Posts!
    www.InsightsandSounds.blogspot.com

When I first went there, it was MGM, and I liked it, but it wasn't until later years that I grew to love the park. Looking forward to seeing Star Wars there, soon !

• Quiet As A Mouse!

It's a Secret........... Sssssssshhhhhhhh!!!!!!

I went back when it was MGM Studios and saw Fantasmic! I was not that impressed.
    I Get In. I Get Out. I Never Get Noticed!
    - From "Prep And Landing"

I really miss the old Backlot Tour, especially the animation department, that was such a blast. I also love the feeling I used to get when I went to Disney/MGM Studios when I was young and walked around Hollywood Boulevard. This used to be my favorite park at Walt Disney World.

• Minion

ORDDU: While it's true that this little park has room for improvement, my sisters and I still enjoy going there. And our favorite waiter on Disney property still works at the Prime Time Café so we continue eating there for that reason alone.

ORWEN: Yesterday on 5/1 we swooped into the park to help celebrate its anniversary! We had a great time!

ORGOCH: Got 25th anniversary merchandise?

Quote Originally Posted by The Disney Ninja View Post
    I went back when it was MGM Studios and saw Fantasmic! I was not that impressed.
    Even though Hollywood Studios is one of my absolute favorite parks I am not a Fantasmic fan either. Its too far away and since my family like to sit close to the bottom I get misted from the water and I don't care for that.

Ahh well I know I am a minority on it.. I would rather see Illuminations.

Cool stuff! I only went for the first time last week, but was really impressed! How many different versions of The Great Movie Ride are out there? On ours, a mobster took over the tram for a bit.

I dug Fantasmic, but I like DL's version better since it's on the island and has two great boats come out- the Columbia & the Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Cool stuff! I only went for the first time last week, but was really impressed! How many different versions of The Great Movie Ride are out there? On ours, a mobster took over the tram for a bit.

I dug Fantasmic, but I like DL's version better since it's on the island and has two great boats come out- the Columbia & the Mark Twain.
    There isn't multiple versions of the Great Movie Ride. It is always a mobster. It is even always the same script. The driver's favorite genre of movies will always be horror for example.

Reguardless, I still love that ride and is always a must do when I am at the studios.. I wish I was there right now! lol

• Bangarang!

Has the TGMR ever received any changes (save for the finale montages)? Its surprising that they've never felt the need to tinker with it in 25 years.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Apparently there's also a cowboy/cowgirl version for if lines are running too long- I know someone who says they've been on that version.

But yeah, I can see how the ride is seriously dated for younger people. What's the most recent film on there? Alien?

• Bangarang!

Apparently there's also a cowboy/cowgirl version for if lines are running too long- I know someone who says they've been on that version.
    Thank you! I was going to ask about that in the post above, but thought I'd dreamt it!

I presume that room must still be there.. seems a bit of a waste.

But yeah, I can see how the ride is seriously dated for younger people. What's the most recent film on there? Alien?
    OK, so I had to be a total nerd and look it up lol... and surprisingly Raiders came out in '81 and Alien in '79, but you are right - there are 33 years worth of films that aren't represented (in AA form at least).

Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast