• Armchair Imagineer

Wicked Witch Animatronic on New 7 Dwarfs Mine Train

I love that final "Cottage" scene in the new Seven Dwarfs Mine Train -- especially the fully animatronic Wicked Witch.

But something puzzles me -- this animatronic appears to have minimal protection from the weather. How did the Imagineers tackle that problem?

Name:  char_19645.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  14.6 KB

• Bangarang!

Re: Wicked Witch Animatronic on New 7 Dwarfs Mine Train

I wondered that as well. It'll only take a heavy rain storm and a bit of wind and she'd be covered in leaves.

I suppose though that the thatch on the cottage provides a little cover for her.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

There were animatronics that are in water that were made in 1955. I'm sure they can now build an animatronic that can stand the weather.

• Resident of the Caldera

There were no Audio Animatronics in 1955. The first was in 1963 with the opening of the Tiki Room at Disneyland. The Jungle Cruise has simple sculpted figures with mechanical movement built into them. That doesn't describe the Old Hag in the Mine Train ride. Depending on which video you watch, you'll see that she has quite natural and fluid movement,
    Born in a shoebox and making the most of it.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by ssaamm View Post
    There were animatronics that are in water that were made in 1955. I'm sure they can now build an animatronic that can stand the weather.
    I believe that you are referring to the Jungle Cruise animals, which were referred to as moving props and not true animatronics.

• Under that tree again!

She is sheltered by the wall and a small eve. Hopefully her clothing stands up well to rain and sun.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

I don't think they would have her exposed like that unless they made sure she can stand up to certain weather conditions.

As for her clothing, it would more than likely would have to be replaced from time to time which is no big deal. It's black and it's Orlando after all, so it will eventually fade.

The only thing for sure when it comes to rain is that she'll definitely looked soaked, since not only her clothing is actually material, but her hair is actual hair too, rather than plastic (like on TLM).

• former CM

There's no way imagineers & Disney leaders would allow an animatronic figure that's central to an attraction (especially since new attractions have been so increasingly rare over the last 12 years with no new ones coming in over the next 2 or 3 years) to not work for more than a month or even a week. Disney would never be that lazy, cheap or/and stupid, especially a full 50 years after Walt Disney's Mr. Lincoln amazed crowds at the '64 NY World's fair. Yes, when it comes to AAs on attractions, Disney's leaders, especially over the last 30 years, put the PLAN in "planning ahead for all possibilities." Just contrast the AAs in the AK's Dinosaur with any AA creatures that came before them. Are we sure they haven't discovered how to clone dinosaurs?

Disney and outside firms it works with (
    filled with surprisingly large teams of MIT & Cal Tech grads working 90-hour weeks--much to the jealousy of NASA/JPL & Apple leaders) have been relentlessly & continuously improving AAs, which is why, for example, all lip movements on the "human" AAs were perfected long ago. The investment in making AAs constantly astonishing is why Disney leaders have all been sacrificing--refusing compensation of more than $1 year ever since Frank Wells died.

And if the witch does break down, Honda's ASIMO would look fabulous in black.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-03-2014 at 05:35 AM.

• Heavy Breather

After the video I'm kind of disappointed.
    They could have made the dark ride portion longer to include more of the story and possibly see the witches demise.

I will reserve all further judgements until I actually get the chance to ride it, however I'm still baffled it took them THIS LONG to build an attraction like this.

I'm sure that, underneath the costume, she is at least IP66 and that the clothing is either treated or inexpensively replaceable with extras on-hand. The sun is the biggest danger, not the water.
    ~ Erik

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    There's no way imagineers & Disney leaders would allow an animatronic figure that's central to an attraction (especially since new attractions have been so increasingly rare over the last 12 years with no new ones over the next 2 or 3 years) to not work for more than a month or even a week.
    Can't tell if this is sarcasm re:Yeti.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Olson View Post
    I'm sure that, underneath the costume, she is at least IP66 and that the clothing is either treated or inexpensively replaceable with extras on-hand. The sun is the biggest danger, not the water.
    What is an IP66?

• Armchair Imagineer

And here is a great shot of the Animatronic in question...
    Name:  witch.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  71.3 KB

I'm shocked the old broad was even included in this ride after they neutered the original ride and put warning signs.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorQ9 View Post
    What is an IP66?
    It's an engineering code standard for protection against ingress of dust and water on a given device or structure. The first digit, in this case "6", detailing protection against dust, and the second digit, again in this case "6", describing protection against water jets sprayed at the object from any direction.

A table lamp will be rated IP20 - minimal protection against solid objects and no protection against water whatsoever. Landscape lighting is normally IP65 or IP66. Submersible lighting that you see in water features at the parks is IP68. We also use IP66 and IP68 in highly corrosive environments in theme parks (e.g., The Seas' overhead aquarium lighting).

IP Code - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ~ Erik