Park Expansion Plan/Schedule question

It seems to me, and this may be way too obvious to everyone, that Disney is slowly making its rounds in upgrading its WDW parks. They've spent a lot of time and money on overhauling Fantasyland in MK, adding a new parade, expanding the hub, and enlarging the bus area. Now that that work is nearly wrapped up, they've moved on to Animal Kingdom, adding a completely new land, a new venue for Festival of the Lion King, an interesting, (albeit overpriced) evening event, and new nighttime offerings in current attractions, plus the new nighttime show.

Will they move on to Hollywood Studios or Epcot next? Both parks have big needs for some attention, and have been discussed on here thoroughly, and I don't want to beat a dead horse. But I'm excited to see how much they've done and are doing with two parks, and what that might mean for the other gates (not to mention upgrades to its accommodation properties and the transformation going on at DtD). The Star Wars rumors and theories on redoing the Imagination Pavilion could hold some neat possibilities.

Folks complain about the lack of new offerings at WDW and I agree that some things are taking a long time, but it's seems Tom and co. know what they're doing.

What do you think? Does this strategy make sense? Did the investment in NextGen do away with some of these possibilities? Do upcoming projects at Disneyland and overseas make these projects stretch their timelines? What would you like to see happen next?

• Certified in everything

Re: Park Expansion Plan/Schedule question

I agree that there are a ton of really neat possibilities on the horizon. I also think most of what has been added in the past 5 years has been of high quality and Disney park worthy.

For me the issue with WDW is timing. Its great to have big things on the horizon and have exciting attractions coming, but if each park is going to see one major addition over a 10-15 year period, then I'm not sure I am a fan of the strategy.

We have a lot of rumors and things coming, but not a whole lot seems to actually be happenings. Since the 2010 announcement of New Fantasyland the only truly big additions we've seen have been the opening of that project this year and the potential opening of Avatar in 2017. Sure Test Track and Start Tours got refreshed, but neither of those was extremely noteworthy. As exciting as talking about the other developments in the pipeline might be, the reality is we won't seen anything else major until after Avatar.

At the end of the day, when we look back on this decade in WDW history, I just don't think there will be a whole lot to talk about.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Disneyland 19 year APH

What will be interesting is if Disney does not start to lose ground in crowd numbers as Universal starts to build its empire in Florida's market. If Disney really starts to lose ground then it would be a sure bet Disney will be building to the moon to hold ground or gain a little in the competition.
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

• just the beernecessities

Universal has acknowledged the potential and just upped the ante, I think Disney has just begun to realize its potential as a draw for entertainment dollars, a draw they have always had as an escape for people of "vacation", if you will. Its about time another entertainment conglomerate has decided they can and will compete with the mouse and slap them around a bit. I believe Disney will respond in a very exciting ways and the folks who are willing to drop the dollars down to see what storytellers, show designers, and engineers can conceive and develop as parts of high valued, entertainment experiences will be well rewarded.
    Hello everyone!

• Nutty about Disney parks

Hollywood Studios will probably be the next big project with Star Wars Land and all.

I have a bad feeling that Epcot will continually be run into the ground. I'd hate to see that park suffer that fate though.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Metro-Retro Historian

The recent developments and proposed new offerings have only cemented by belief that Tom & co. have absolutely no clue what they are doing.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Under that tree again!

Epcot got a lot of new stuff, before MK got new stuff. Mission Space, Soarin, Under the Seas with Nemo, and new Test Track.

DHS looks to be the last in line for stuff, as its park lags behind. It will be the only one left without major updates.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    Epcot got a lot of new stuff, before MK got new stuff. Mission Space, Soarin, Under the Seas with Nemo, and new Test Track.

DHS looks to be the last in line for stuff, as its park lags behind. It will be the only one left without major updates.
    this. the only semi recent adds hollywood studios has received are all clones (lights motors action, midway mania, and star tours which is technically ours but still). while both parks have significant needs expect DHS to receive the next big thing especially after just having its 25th birthday on may 1st (which was a very cool time that they gave away a lot of free stuff at I might add). expect the long rumoured starwars land to play a big role but outside of that it is tough to predict. with the renewed investment in henson I would hope the muppets play a large role. along with a pixar expansion of some kind including most likely the cars and monsters inc properties if I had to pick two. the epcot work after this would primarily be a focus on future world with the main focus being without a doubt on the imagination pavilion, followed by the universe of energy. they might also do something with wonders of life as well if they are feeling extra generous but I think they prefer it as a convention centre. It will also probably include that new country for the world showcase as these mini nations tend to produce a ton of revenue with little upkeep which disney likes a lot. I'm guessing Brazil is the safe bet there as south and central america is left un represented and is the least polarizing/most unique out of the big nations remaining out there (except for australia of course which I think hey will be saving for a future animal kingdom expansion still). in the end however these moves are still a long ways off when you consider not only the animal kingdom work set to be done in three years, but also the downtown disney to disney springs transformation, which after walking through it recently can only be described as a massive undertaking. anything at hollywood studios probably wont break ground until at least a few months after the opening of avatar at least (so essentially after the or in line with the release of the first disney starwars film) while epcot would be even later then that, say post new years 2021 or so. then it rotates back to the magic kingdom probably for the tomorrowland redo.

• You have much to learn...

Unfortunately, most future expansion plans were put on hold indefinitely by Bob Iger since they put in millions of dollars getting those useless magic bands rolled out. Any future plans seem to be dead at this point, so except for a scaled down Avatar area, I have no hopes in seeing anything in the near future.

I'm going nuts hearing that they put most of the Star Wars expansion plans on hold-I was looking forward to a whole new area.

The additions to Fantasyland are nice, but I don't think that the new Mine train is going to save the Magic Kingdom at this point. They really need to do something to compete with Universal & the Wizarding World- I'm starting to look forward to visiting Universal more these days, and that's bad for me since I've been a huge Disney fan most of my life. So sad.

• Disney Fan Forever

May I add...

Was there not supposed to be another country in Epcot's World Showcase.. (Brazil)
    Also, are they not closing Lights Action Motor Cars and Indiana Jones for the addition of Car's Land) I read so much about Disney that I sometimes think I'm dreaming all these things up and not that I actually read it somewhere.. Can anyone help with this...
    I CAN'T IMAGINE A DAY WITHOUT WALT DISNEY WORLD!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfan View Post
    May I add...

Was there not supposed to be another country in Epcot's World Showcase.. (Brazil)
    Also, are they not closing Lights Action Motor Cars and Indiana Jones for the addition of Car's Land) I read so much about Disney that I sometimes think I'm dreaming all these things up and not that I actually read it somewhere.. Can anyone help with this...
    all these were either just rumoured or bluesky fan concepts

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    Unfortunately, most future expansion plans were put on hold indefinitely by Bob Iger since they put in millions of dollars getting those useless magic bands rolled out. Any future plans seem to be dead at this point, so except for a scaled down Avatar area, I have no hopes in seeing anything in the near future.

I'm going nuts hearing that they put most of the Star Wars expansion plans on hold-I was looking forward to a whole new area.

The additions to Fantasyland are nice, but I don't think that the new Mine train is going to save the Magic Kingdom at this point. They really need to do something to compete with Universal & the Wizarding World- I'm starting to look forward to visiting Universal more these days, and that's bad for me since I've been a huge Disney fan most of my life. So sad.
    the brand new disney springs initiative flies directly in the face of that belief.

I have a feeling they will add something to DHS next. The park can easily be surpassed in attendance by USF or IOA within the next couple years, as its attendance is the lowest of the four parks at WDW with about 10 million visitors per year. USF and IOA are at about 8 million and 7 million each, but those numbers are quickly rising. Since the opening of the Wizarding World, IOA has increased its yearly attendance by almost 3 million, while DHS has increased by about 500 thousand. If Diagon Alley is a success, as it almost certainly will be, I wouldn't be surprised if DHS is surpassed in 2015. Disney will definitely do something to the park to make sure that it doesn't get surpassed.