Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• CM for 4 years!

Best time to go-- Late May or Late August?

I'm looking to book my first Walt Disney World vacation. I'm a cast member at the Disneyland Resort, so it will be very affordable for me to go. A plane ticket is about $300, I will get 50% off rooms (now, do I go Value or Moderate?).

But my big question is, what is a better time to go?

Late May -- ie May 21-26

Or Late August -- ie August 20-25

What are the pros and cons of each time of year?

I don't know the first thing about Florida, so any help would be great.
    Member of the Disney Class of 2005
    Disneyland CM for 4 years.
    May 6, 2005 - present.

• Incognito

Blog Entries

Re: Best time to go-- Late May or Late August?

Go late May. If you wait until late August you'll have much larger crowds and the stifling breath taking heat of Central Florida to deal with, not to mention it's the middle of hurricane season late August.

• Banned User

oye, the heat in August, you do not want!! late may hon, and have a wonderful time!! ( I really do expect to see pictures

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Late May. If you go in August you'll be dealing with the daily 4pm rain storm.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

The 4pm rainstorms are nothing, they are quite fun to watch and cool things down quite well.

I've found that both times are similar in terms of crowds. The major difference is in the hours, it seems late May early June is better as far as late hours than late August. And late hours make a difference (as you obviously know from DL) because after 10pm the park thins (usually) and you get so many more rides in those last 2 hours.
    The killer is the humidity in August. It seems much more oppressive in July and August than in May/June (I'm judging by the 1st week of June). So if you want to try to go straight through all day long, you will more likely see sucess in May.
    Room rates and such...go moderate. Unless it is a $50 per night deal like I found last June for the Pop, the bit more for the Moderates is worth it (better theme, better check-in...nicer (more polite) crowds).

• Disney Memory Maker

By all means, May (and between moderate & value, definitely go with the moderate). The hours are longer in May. Also, in August, many attractions go under refurbishment.

But by far the best reason to go in the end of May.... STAR WARS WEEKENDS!!!!!! Even if you don't like Star Wars, I can guarantee you'll have fun during these weekends. Seeing the show at the end of the day was probably the most fun I've ever had.
    “You can design and create, and build the most wonderful place in the world. But it takes people to make the dream a reality.” - Walt Disney

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries

Another vote for May. I've only gone twice and once was in May and the other time in Aug. The weather was a bajillion times better in May, we got the wonderful spontaneous showers but they were short. In August, it rained for at least an hour each day and it was like torrential downpours not a quick shower. Our friends that lived there were like "oh yeah this is even wetter than normal this year" thanks! LOL

But yeah, May

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Inappropriate

Not to mention Epcot's Flower and Garden Festival will be going down in May, and i always find that awesome.

Click the banner! ^^^^
    Follow us on Twitter
    @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
    Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

• Man O Lantern

Quote Originally Posted by Olympicnut
    Go late May. If you wait until late August you'll have much larger crowds and the stifling breath taking heat of Central Florida to deal with, not to mention it's the middle of hurricane season late August.
    What this smart, handsome, gorgeous, brilliant, beautiful man said.

I wouldn't risk hurricane season and late August....OMG....so much humidity!! It's too expensive for those of us on the west coast to get over there and do a week there...I wouldn't chance it. I'd go in late May for sure.

Of those two? Definitely May. Around Thanksgiving has alway's been my personal favorite time to go, though.

• Minion

I've been there in September and it's still pretty hot and humid there! I can't imagine what it would be like in August. So, yeah, I'll say late May as well.

Far as resorts go, I'd say moderate. They're a pretty good deal even without the discount you get and with it, well, there's no question...I'd definitely go moderate.

Hope this helps...

• e komo mai

I'll chime in and say not August. I was there in August in 2000 and it was 100 degrees, 100% humidity and no wind.
    It's horrid!

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by askmike1
    .... STAR WARS WEEKENDS!!!!!!
    How could I forget?????? Just the great streetmosphere and the hilarious version of WWTBAM Star Wars are worth it!!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to askmike1 again.
    Last edited by tloolgb; 02-06-2006 at 10:02 AM.

Go late May, You are before hurricance season and the big summer crunch. Late Augsut is full of kids, it is muggy and right in time for the worst part of hurricane season.

• Resident Neuroscientist

on a college campus for the rest of my life

Between those particular dates, the crowds will be pretty similar--a lot of people are still in school in late May and a lot of people are back in school by late August. In August, you get worse weather, worse park hours, and nothing particularly special going on. Of course, if you want to see the new Pirates, it doesn't open till July--but you are getting a similar rehab at your superior California Pirates, anyway. Fireworks and parades are also less likely to be cancelled in May (parades get cancelled a lot with the afternoon thunderstorms that coincide pretty well with parade time). If you can afford them, go with the moderates.
    -Kyle, Member of the DCA Lovers Alliance
    I'M GOING TO YALE!!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast