Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• former CM

When will people quit starting threads about the broken Yeti?

Maybe Disney feels really bad about this
    and our nagging them is just making them take longer.

How long has it been down, btw? I vowed I wouldn't return to Disney World till it was fixed and it seems like it's been a while. Universal's Wizarding World of Harry Potter seems to be getting so cool that I may have to break my vow and return next year even it's still comatose.

Idea/brain fart: let's stop calling it "broken" because that gives us false hope that it might one day be improved--perhaps replaced by a lighter and slower Yeti. Let's call it "abandoned" like the Peoplemover track at Disneyland and Nara's Dreamland in Japan. That's a little less depressing, isn't it?

And speaking of false hope:

Iger vows his salary $1 a year a year till Yeti is working

^^Link.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-13-2014 at 03:45 PM.

• Heavy Breather

Re: When will people quit starting threads about the broken Yeti?

I think the reason people dwell on the issue so much is because it kind of is a major part of the attraction. Sure you barely see it and the ride would probably still be immersive and fun without it, but it's that old Walt way if taking things even further than people think it should go.
    The Yeti has been down ever since a few months after it opened in 2006 (I believe, you may need to correct me if I'm wrong). They also use the excuse that the Yeti is somehow latched into the main components of the structure and with the arm moving at the force of a 747, it's bound to cause some stress on it.
    However, I think that excuse is about as valid as the "Sinkhole under Horizons" excuse.
    It would be nice to have the darned thing working again, which we may not see until Pandora opens, giving the attraction the relief from crowds it needs to be closed for a huge refurbishment. If they don't even attempt to try and fix the problem, it will have been a disappointment and a shame.

Edit: Another reason people like to constantly bring it up, is because when Disney promotes the attraction they show they Yeti in full A mode. Which, judging by his Travolta pose and strobe light in the attraction, he is not.

There are three main structure that make Everest the ride it is. The structure for the mountain, the structure for the coaster, and the structure for the Yeti. The Yeti's structure began to fail under the sheer power of the animatronic. With that said, if you think about it, Expedition Everest is technically missing a third of its attraction. I don't think any attraction in Disney park history has been only 2/3 show ready for such a lengthy amount of time (I'm sure others would disagree). Even though you only see it for a few seconds, it is the climax of the attraction like the rolling ball chamber is the climax for indy. I'm sure if the rolling ball chamber was broken for the amount of years the Yeti has, people would rant and rave about the ride being incomplete.
    Last edited by Musingineer; 05-13-2014 at 10:09 PM.

• Minion

its not really "2/3rds show ready" though.... lets just face it the ride has been permanently changed and they will not revisit the issue. there is probably one last hope for this when avatar land opens and they feel like its worth putting it through a significant downtime but I'm not 100% optimistic at that time either. in all fairness while the arm was extremely cool the animatronic was so well done and you move passed it so quickly the strobe light still has a solid effect.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    its not really "2/3rds show ready" though.... lets just face it the ride has been permanently changed and they will not revisit the issue. there is probably one last hope for this when avatar land opens and they feel like its worth putting it through a significant downtime but I'm not 100% optimistic at that time either. in all fairness while the arm was extremely cool the animatronic was so well done and you move passed it so quickly the strobe light still has a solid effect.

So you believe it is more show ready? . . . I don't agree that the effect now is a solid effect. The Yeti is an amazing piece of technology that is now just a puppet. Sure, for guest that didn't see it in its prime the effect it has is passable. But when you know what that thing is capable of the strobe light is just ridiculous. Idk what WDI was thinking when making that thing, (as massive as it is) so inaccessible. That was extremely poor engineering on their part.

What is the Yeti actually SUPPOSED to be doing? I found the quick glimpse actually too little to really tell if it was moving or not when I rode it twice a few weeks ago.

• Not here to help

The Yeti is 90% of the ride. Everything build up towards the meeting with the huge beast. If they ever bring it back they should light it better.

Here is what the Yeti should be doing:

The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Musingineer View Post
    So you believe it is more show ready? . . . I don't agree that the effect now is a solid effect. The Yeti is an amazing piece of technology that is now just a puppet. Sure, for guest that didn't see it in its prime the effect it has is passable. But when you know what that thing is capable of the strobe light is just ridiculous. Idk what WDI was thinking when making that thing, (as massive as it is) so inaccessible. That was extremely poor engineering on their part.
    i never said it was more show ready.... just that this is now the permanent show as they are not prepared to fix it and therefore the attraction is fully operational. all i was saying was that after my personal experience of going down there a little over a week ago and riding the attraction several times, i was still satisfied with the effect.

• Sasquatch

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    What is the Yeti actually SUPPOSED to be doing? I found the quick glimpse actually too little to really tell if it was moving or not when I rode it twice a few weeks ago.
    This feels like it's kind of exactly why it hasn't been fixed...

• Pilot EdForceOne

let's face it - they've given up on it and just changed the show to adapt. Just like they gave up on the jetskis in F!, the chernaborg in WoC, etc. It's not the first abandoned show effect, but it certainly is one of the highest profile given all the back stage hype about the technical merits they gave the Yeti.. and put into the TV specials. Bet we won't see that again for new show effects
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I personally do not think they will ever fix it, which is why so many people vent about it. When you watch videos about Animal Kingdom and their attractions, or the making of rides in general, they always make a big deal about the Yeti: How it's this massive creature, how quick it moves, how terrifying it is, and how groundbreaking it is.

If it hasn't moved since 2006, it's beyond a serious issue and false advertising. If people are expecting a massive, terrifying creature to launch their arm at you, and look as if it's going to attack you and you get a still Yeti with disco lights, for not a week, a month, but years, people are going to be upset.

Also, I question Imagineers intelligence if they honestly didn't think the size, or force would effect the structure, or didn't think of it as a possibility and also question their intelligence if they didn't think, "Oh, what happens if we need to operate, or work on this ride?" They refurbish rides all the time and they didn't think of what to do if it broke down, or needed to refurbish? Of course, they eventually found a solution (a bad one), but they still didn't think of the possibilities and how in the future more than likely they'd have to refurbish the ride?

At least when Universal had serious issues with Kongfrontation and Jaws, they had the ability to change and adjust things accordingly in order to make things in a running order again.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

This ride without the Yeti, is like Indiana Jones without the rolling boulder at the end. It's still a good ride without but those scenes make the ride amazing.

• former CM

Here's a link to a thread started 7 years ago about the effects/AAs on Everest that is still active.
    Read all 83 pages and report back to us, if it's not too much trouble.

Expedition Everest effects status watch | Page 83 | WDWMAGIC - Unofficial Walt Disney World discussion forums
    Last edited by jcruise86; 05-18-2014 at 06:25 AM. Reason: missing apostrophe with it's

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    This ride without the Yeti, is like Indiana Jones without the rolling boulder at the end. It's still a good ride without but those scenes make the ride amazing.
    as always aashee nails it simple and complete
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

There is also a bird missing... But seriously, I always hoped it would just work when I ride the attraction... but as I have never seen it working, it really isn't noticeable.. The first few times I rode I thought it was moving, and it's so quick and terrifying still..

Let's hope Disney will eventually fix it though.. While it is not a deal breaker... Disney is better then this...

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast