Travel time between resorts and parks

Duplicate Post (Posted in Orlando planning but that board seems slow)

Hi all,

We are headed to WDW 6/28 to 7/2 (busy, I know!) and staying at the Port Orleans Riverside. I was wondering if anyone had real world experience they could share regarding how long it really takes to get from place to place. I know WDW site says to give 90 minutes but wondering if certain times of day we can (somewhat) guess it will be shorter.

For example, currently we have an ADR for Ohana on Sunday 6/29 at 7:55am and are planning to go to Hollywood studios after. We have our first fastpass + booked at the park for 9:30 to 10:30 - is that doable?

Thanks!

• Minion

Re: Travel time between resorts and parks

the trip from ohana to the fastpass is easily doable as long as you eat in a timely manner. Getting from french quarter to the polynesian though just isn't going to happen. there are no busses that go directly from one resort to another first off so you would need to transfer at a park, secondly busses don't even start running until an hour before park opening, which is 5 minutes after your reservation time. you would have to take a cab to the polynesian, no question. finally why would you book a breakfast at ohana when the hands down best breakfast on property is right next door at the kona cafe? Ohana is far better as a dinner dining option.

if you have any more specific time questions don't hesitate to ask.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Yeah you would need to take a bus to the MK then take the resort monorail to the Polynesian. After you eat you can take a bus from the Poly to DHS. The key as said is to eat in a timely manner and don't dawdle too much.

And I agree the breakfast at Kona Cafe is awesome. The pineapple macadamia pancakes are so good. That and some Kona coffee and I'm a happy girl. Yum.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    Yeah you would need to take a bus to the MK then take the resort monorail to the Polynesian. After you eat you can take a bus from the Poly to DHS. The key as said is to eat in a timely manner and don't dawdle too much.

And I agree the breakfast at Kona Cafe is awesome. The pineapple macadamia pancakes are so good. That and some Kona coffee and I'm a happy girl. Yum.
    thats the problem though aimster, there is no bus to the magic kingdom on that day before 8

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    thats the problem though aimster, there is no bus to the magic kingdom on that day before 8
    There will be Charater Meal Buses going to MK.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• 1,200 Miles from da Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    There will be Charater Meal Buses going to MK.
    +1 we did that when we stayed at Boardwalk and took the bus to MK for a 0800 res at the contemporary
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
    -George S. Patton

We stayed at Riverside in early February this year, supposedly during the off-season, but the buses were always absolutely packed. In case you have anything going on at night, just know that it took us anywhere from 60-100 minutes to get to where we needed to be, especially at night. Rarely were we able to sit on the bus home!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by LivTC View Post
    We stayed at Riverside in early February this year, supposedly during the off-season, but the buses were always absolutely packed. In case you have anything going on at night, just know that it took us anywhere from 60-100 minutes to get to where we needed to be, especially at night. Rarely were we able to sit on the bus home!
    Your experience is very much out of the norm, I was just there at a somewhat busier time, staying at caribbean beach which is supposedly notorious for some of the worst bus wait times on property and the worst wait/travel time I ever had was at closing for MK and between waiting for 3 busses in a long line up and driving to my stop at the resort was 40 mins. everything else was no longer then 20-25 minutes between waiting and travel time.

Yeah, I found the buses to be fairly quick and easy to get to- the only pain was the night I left MK right at closing... JUST as a group of TWO-HUNDRED students from Texas were heading to the exact same resort I was. THAT took a while... but the rest of the time, even just having missed a bus (or failing to get on a crowded one) cost me at most 10-15 minutes.

The biggest pain I noticed was from the Scooter Vehicles- the bus drivers are often quite elderly, and have a horrible time trying to set those things up in the buses. The Scooters take up the space of about six people as well, making a lot of things take longer. I would recommend a special bus service just for the people who needed those, thus saving them (and other passengers) the trouble.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Yeah, I found the buses to be fairly quick and easy to get to- the only pain was the night I left MK right at closing... JUST as a group of TWO-HUNDRED students from Texas were heading to the exact same resort I was. THAT took a while... but the rest of the time, even just having missed a bus (or failing to get on a crowded one) cost me at most 10-15 minutes.

The biggest pain I noticed was from the Scooter Vehicles- the bus drivers are often quite elderly, and have a horrible time trying to set those things up in the buses. The Scooters take up the space of about six people as well, making a lot of things take longer. I would recommend a special bus service just for the people who needed those, thus saving them (and other passengers) the trouble.
    I would agree but I guarantee as soon as they start doing that people will then fake needing wheelchairs and scooters outside of the parks for quicker bus service....

Well I figured they could have just one special bus that only takes them, and goes to each resort to pick people up, so it's not necessarily faster. I'm not sure how the logistics would work- I just noticed how hard it was for everyone the current way.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Planning ADR's is definitely a Science, or at best an Art Form. One must take into consideration, not only where they want to go, but where they are coming from, and where they want to end up. The transportation will end up taking a whole lot longer than the meal.

I plan the breakfast meals at the Monorail hotels, for the days that I will be in the Magic Kingdom. I make a late reservation, so I can go to Magic Kingdom, at rope drop and eat afterwards.

Lunches, and early dinners can be planned as a transition to parkhopping to another park. You can do, Morning Park, Hotel Restaurant, and Different Park that way.

One must always think about where they are, and how they are going to get there, and where they want to end up when making an ADR. It takes a lot of planning to have a successful WDW vacation, especially when choosing dining ADR's.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    Well I figured they could have just one special bus that only takes them, and goes to each resort to pick people up, so it's not necessarily faster. I'm not sure how the logistics would work- I just noticed how hard it was for everyone the current way.
    I get what you're saying, there are just too many special assistance people though IMO for this to be worthwhile.