Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Bangarang!

Tomorrowland Speedway

If the Speedway was to be removed and replaced (doesn't matter by what) would you miss it? Is there much fan attachment to the attraction these days?

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Re: Tomorrowland Speedway

I would not miss it, but it is a very popular attraction with some younger kids. I have always thought that the Speedway should be renovated to take up less space but have a track the same length by having many bridges and tunnels. This would also make the track a bit more fun to drive on.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Kids still need something like this.....something where they are in control.

How about a Hovertopia race?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u_2bGPdUY
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

I wouldn't miss it. A nice huge coaster would fit in there right nicely.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Kids still need something like this.....something where they are in control.

How about a Hovertopia race?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u_2bGPdUY
    could use a similar design to the luigi's flying tires ride at cars land only on a track, split up the remaining half of the land to fantasyland for a further expansion including frozen if they decide not to use blizzard beach as a template.

• Bangarang!

Surely the attraction isn't really cost effective these days?

And I guess there's more land than you think, if they go across the berm (over the rail).

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Surely the attraction isn't really cost effective these days?

And I guess there's more land than you think, if they go across the berm (over the rail).
    exactly, high costs, its completely outdoors so limited ridership when its raining forcing people to other parts of the park, not futuristic, takes up roughly 1.5 times the space of big thunder let alone closing off access to the expansion pad if necessary. there are a lot more negatives then positives that come with this attraction at this point.

I agree that it takes up a lot of space, but as for over the berm, there is a path on the opposite side of the speedway that goes from tomorrowland to storybook circus, so that isn't the issue. The issue is that it takes up a ton of land.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    I agree that it takes up a lot of space, but as for over the berm, there is a path on the opposite side of the speedway that goes from tomorrowland to storybook circus, so that isn't the issue. The issue is that it takes up a ton of land.
    you have to account for the train tracks though and the rather large stream a couple of meters afterward to get to the expansion pad though along with relocating the path to storybook circus.

• Bangarang!

I'm being cynical now, but I can see that TDO would rather leave the Speedway as it is (high costs running costs and all) than remove it and cause all the disruption by building over the rail berm.

HKDL's Railroad is shut for a year while they install the Iron Man Experience. I'd bet TDO wouldn't even consider that.

Which is ridiculous really. Surely the MK RR could operate in a shuttle capacity just temporarily? Guests wouldn't be overly inconvenienced - you could still go from Main St. to Toon Town, a route which takes in most of the park anyway.

And then there's the issue with the space under the TTA. That'd be another one that'd have to shut for a while.

On the upside though, the Speedway would be just like 20k and offer a near-complete behind the walls/away from guests construction. Something that DCA (Buena Vista St.) and WDS (Tower of Terror) did not have the luxury of.

Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I'm being cynical now, but I can see that TDO would rather leave the Speedway as it is (high costs running costs and all) than remove it and cause all the disruption by building over the rail berm.

HKDL's Railroad is shut for a year while they install the Iron Man Experience. I'd bet TDO wouldn't even consider that.

Which is ridiculous really. Surely the MK RR could operate in a shuttle capacity just temporarily? Guests wouldn't be overly inconvenienced - you could still go from Main St. to Toon Town, a route which takes in most of the park anyway.

And then there's the issue with the space under the TTA. That'd be another one that'd have to shut for a while.

On the upside though, the Speedway would be just like 20k and offer a near-complete behind the walls/away from guests construction. Something that DCA (Buena Vista St.) and WDS (Tower of Terror) did not have the luxury of.
    they wouldn't have to though... if they wanted to expand beyond the berm, make a say 20 foot bridge and have a path go underneath. the train would probably be closed for a few months at most, then while the remainder of construction goes on just throw up a tarp wall to hide it from view. if they don't want to expand that far right away there is still plenty of space so that they wouldn't have to go that far if they didn't want to with the right piecing together.

• Metro-Retro Historian

The kids do need something like this. The ride does need to be modernized though and I don't see why the track couldn't be modified to take up a smaller footprint. Alternatively, it doesn't have a very tall profile (especially with part of it being below street level) so I don't see why a show building couldn't be built over a portion of the track that housed both a new attraction and a futuristic indoor show scene for the speedway.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

Make it a race from the CARS movie. Have each of the cars as the different cars in the movies. Have each of the cars talk to the drivers at spots around the track. The kids would love it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by maddogjoe View Post
    Make it a race from the CARS movie. Have each of the cars as the different cars in the movies. Have each of the cars talk to the drivers at spots around the track. The kids would love it.
    and ruin tommorrowland in the process lol

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    they wouldn't have to though... if they wanted to expand beyond the berm, make a say 20 foot bridge and have a path go underneath. the train would probably be closed for a few months at most, then while the remainder of construction goes on just throw up a tarp wall to hide it from view. if they don't want to expand that far right away there is still plenty of space so that they wouldn't have to go that far if they didn't want to with the right piecing together.
    You know what TDO is like... shutting an attraction that needs renovations seems to pain them, let alone closing one (albeit temporarily) to aid in construction of another. Preposterous!

I agree though, it wouldn't be hard for them to do in reality. And they probably had tarps all over the place when the Circus pitched up in ToonTown.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Alternatively, it doesn't have a very tall profile (especially with part of it being below street level) so I don't see why a show building couldn't be built over a portion of the track that housed both a new attraction and a futuristic indoor show scene for the speedway.
    I actually like the sound of this.

The only issue would be the transition from dark back to the light - think of how stark it is when you hit the drop in TestTrack. Don't want folk hitting the breaks as they can't see. But they could probably work around it somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    and ruin tommorrowland in the process lol
    So true! lol

I'll be honest, I don't really see the argument that its needed for younger guests. There are plenty of other attractions about.

And I understand the arguments against its removal in Disneyland due to it being historical and one of the originals, but there just doesn't seem to be that attachment at the Magic Kingdom. Even though the Speedway is one of the originals here too.

Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast