Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

What Disney's Hollywood Studios Needs

People are always complaining about DHS and how it is a half-day park, so I am curious on what you think needs to be added to make DHS a quality full day park. I have listed my suggestions below.

Add:
    Log Flume or River Rapids Ride- DHS is the only WDW park to not have a water ride (not including shows) where riders have at least a chance of getting wet (Splash Mountain at MK, Maelstrom at EPCOT, and Kali River Rapids at DAK). A ride where the rider gets wet is very nice on a hot Florida day.
    Roller Coaster with Mild Speeds (2)- Rockin' Roller Coaster is a great ride, but it is the parks only roller coaster and is usually not suitable for little children or people who don't like inversions. Two rides, if possible, with speeds similar to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad would be nice.
    Land/Area Based in a Movie- It doesn't have to be Cars Land or even Star Wars Land, but an area that puts visitors in a different world from a movie is always an instant hit. My personal opinion is Monstropolis, since it hasn't been done yet, and put Star Wars Land in a hero/villain based theme park, but it doesn't matter.
    An Interactive Game Show- It would be great if DHS had a show that was based on a T.V. game show, like Fear Factor Live at USF, but with a popular show.
    More Recent Films to the Great Movie Ride- There are no remotely new movies on this ride, and the current generation hasn't heard of some of the movies on the ride.
    Current T.V. Show Sets- Replace Honey, I Shrunk the Kids with a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for kids, or with a different popular T.V. show set for kids

• Minion

Re: What Disney's Hollywood Studios Needs

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    People are always complaining about DHS and how it is a half-day park, so I am curious on what you think needs to be added to make DHS a quality full day park. I have listed my suggestions below.
    Log Flume or River Rapids Ride- DHS is the only WDW park to not have a water ride (not including shows) where riders have at least a chance of getting wet (Splash Mountain at MK, Maelstrom at EPCOT, and Kali River Rapids at DAK). A ride where the rider gets wet is very nice on a hot Florida day.
    totally agreed. I've thought for a while something could be added to expand indiana jones to go along with a major lucas land expansion as opposed to simply star wars. not sure what other property that concept would work with but it should be an addition one way or another.

Roller Coaster with Mild Speeds (2)- Rockin' Roller Coaster is a great ride, but it is the parks only roller coaster and is usually not suitable for little children or people who don't like inversions. Two rides, if possible, with speeds similar to Big Thunder Mountain Railroad would be nice.
    I don't think this is entirely necessary, just more kid friendly rides in general. more classic dark rides would fill the same role, IMO would probably be done better, and would attract a wider audience as well as having the positive of being accessible in any weather.

Land/Area Based in a Movie- It doesn't have to be Cars Land or even Star Wars Land, but an area that puts visitors in a different world from a movie is always an instant hit. My personal opinion is Monstropolis, since it hasn't been done yet, and put Star Wars Land in a hero/villain based theme park, but it doesn't matter.
    that will almost certainly be starwars land. the facts just seem to obvious for it to be anything else. I would enjoy a monstropolis miniland but for the same reasons why I would despise having a full cars land in DHS it is simply redundant after creating a pixar land to have a land based on a pixar franchise directly beside it.

An Interactive Game Show- It would be great if DHS had a show that was based on a T.V. game show, like Fear Factor Live at USF, but with a popular show.
    american Idol is still running so that component is already there. outside of that there aren't too many other shows that would really be suitable basically jeopardy, wheel of fortune or price is right IMO and all of those would be in conflict with ABC as they are either owned by or distributed by other networks.

More Recent Films to the Great Movie Ride- There are no remotely new movies on this ride, and the current generation hasn't heard of some of the movies on the ride
    true there needs to be a few more recent films added but it also needs to stay to its roots as well, it should always be based in the classics as they are truly the greatest movies and illustrate how films have developed over the ages. the one thing that would truly improve this attraction though is updating the animatronics and giving the cm's more room to express themselves and get more into the act. it is a night and day difference on that ride when you have 2 actors that are into it and really good versus ones that just go through the motions.

Current T.V. Show Sets- Replace Honey, I Shrunk the Kids with a Mickey Mouse Clubhouse for kids, or with a different popular T.V. show set for kids
    personally i thought it would be nice to attach this to the pixar place area and make it an Up! play land complete with a walkthrough of the house.

• Tomorrow's Child

Some great ideas here. Especially the Up! playland and Monstropolis.

They definitely need to look into expanding beyond the berm. The park is fine but lacks any real expansion pads.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    totally agreed. I've thought for a while something could be added to expand indiana jones to go along with a major lucas land expansion as opposed to simply star wars. not sure what other property that concept would work with but it should be an addition one way or another.

I don't think this is entirely necessary, just more kid friendly rides in general. more classic dark rides would fill the same role, IMO would probably be done better, and would attract a wider audience as well as having the positive of being accessible in any weather.

that will almost certainly be starwars land. the facts just seem to obvious for it to be anything else. I would enjoy a monstropolis miniland but for the same reasons why I would despise having a full cars land in DHS it is simply redundant after creating a pixar land to have a land based on a pixar franchise directly beside it.
    THIS. I dont want DHS to go the way of DCA and turn areas of the park into Pixarlands out of desperation. At the very least I think they should go forward with the Monsters Inc Door Coaster they had originally intended for Pixar Place but no Pixar movie-lands, please.

Now that Toontown Fair in MK is gone perhaps they could bring back the concept in DHS with dark rides and the like. It could be Toontown on a larger more elaborate scale than the one in Disneyland.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Metro-Retro Historian

What Disney Hollywood Studios really needs is for Disney to stop making rides about their movies in the other parks. This would have 2 affects; Disney Hollywood studios would get a lot more attractions since attractions about movies are all Disney seems interested in building lately, and the park would develop its own distinct identity as the movie park, which is what it's supposed to be anyway.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    What Disney Hollywood Studios really needs is for Disney to stop making rides about their movies in the other parks. This would have 2 affects; Disney Hollywood studios would get a lot more attractions since attractions about movies are all Disney seems interested in building lately, and the park would develop its own distinct identity as the movie park, which is what it's supposed to be anyway.
    Just one of many reasons I've been against the planned Avatarland for DAK.
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

Disney keeps making the attractions based on movies because the average tourist loves it.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer45 View Post
    Disney keeps making the attractions based on movies because the average tourist loves it.
    Because the average tourist avoids the ones not based on movies?
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Because the average tourist avoids the ones not based on movies?
    thank you! the average tourist loves new attractions with high thrill levels and great immersive themeing. as long as it is promoted well enough it doesn't matter if a film is attached to it or not. the reasoning is incorrect there IMO because of this. disney likes creating attractions based on their movies because it provides a synergistic relationship between their films, themeparks, and merchandise i.e. why every ride ends in a gift shop. new concepts and ideas do provide fertile ground for new film concepts (pirates of the caribbean) but they don't care about that really and it means they have to come up with new unique things to sell instead of just filling the shop with the exact same products from their stores nationwide. I think this is the biggest thing that disney has to realize, they need to create unique shopping experiences if they want their merchandise numbers to rise. the immersive feel of their attractions and structures is ruined for me for example when i see starwars gear in a store in dinoland or the emporium entirely full of things i could buy on the internet for less money. create unique stuff that can only be bought at disney world at a specific store and i truly believe in the current marketplace it will sell far better then they even are now, so long as its high quality of course.

IMO, DHS needs trolls like you to stop saying it needs improving. Go to the park. Enjoy it.

I am not saying I don't like the park, cause I do like the park. I am just saying that the park isn't reaching its potential.

I actually really liked DHS, which surprised me, as it indeed has the reputation of being a "Half-Day Park"- I easily filled a whole day there. But given the perception of the place, I can see it needs a bit "more".

I'd say adding at least one whole new "Land" to it would help- Star Wars Land isn't a bad start, especially since it actually keeps the general theme of the park.

It also needs at least one new major Super-Headliner attraction- the crowds at the "Big Three" (Toy Story/Rock 'n' Rollercoaster/Tower of Terror) are a bit nuts and probably worse during busy days (I was there during a slow time)- have more options for big stuff would help out the lines.

More "Museum/History"-type stuff. I'd like to see what they had with the Walt Disney Museum & that thing about the background art there, but for other films. Maybe cycle in things about certain films, including all the background cels, planning art, and stuff like that. A full thing for Cinderella or Beauty & The Beast (maybe throw in a Meet & Greet to attract the kiddies, of course).

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    I actually really liked DHS, which surprised me, as it indeed has the reputation of being a "Half-Day Park"- I easily filled a whole day there. But given the perception of the place, I can see it needs a bit "more".
    The point where it becomes a half day park i think is after you've seen the shows before or more then once. if you aren't interested in going to the shows then I agree its a half day park but if you choose to do all the attractions it has to offer then its easily a full day park. the only individuals that say this are only interested in rides.

I'd say adding at least one whole new "Land" to it would help- Star Wars Land isn't a bad start, especially since it actually keeps the general theme of the park.
    personally I would want to see a three tier 'land' expansion. Lucas land first would allow them to expand both the starwars and Indiana jones properties. then follow this with a muppets mini-land which is long over due, and then top it off with an expansion of the pixar place to a full fledged land these additions combined would make the park easily a full day experience for thrill seekers.

It also needs at least one new major Super-Headliner attraction- the crowds at the "Big Three" (Toy Story/Rock 'n' Rollercoaster/Tower of Terror) are a bit nuts and probably worse during busy days (I was there during a slow time)- have more options for big stuff would help out the lines.
    I get what you're saying startours gets big crowds too but it is much better at eating people then rockin rollercoaster and midway mania (and to a lesser extent tower of terror). an indiana jones flume ride could be one direction i would go along with a headliner for the starwars expansion. also the doorcoaster concept from monsters inc would be very cool to see and brining over radiator springs racers for pixar place (the attraction not the land) which would create two/three major draws in each area of the park just off the top of my head. also I think to a larger extent the thing thats missing most from DHS is family friendly rides. there are very few which young kids can enjoy in relation to the amount at the other parks. this could be rectified in a classic darkride added to starwars (in a slightly more intense version), pixar place, and the muppets.

More "Museum/History"-type stuff. I'd like to see what they had with the Walt Disney Museum & that thing about the background art there, but for other films. Maybe cycle in things about certain films, including all the background cels, planning art, and stuff like that. A full thing for Cinderella or Beauty & The Beast (maybe throw in a Meet & Greet to attract the kiddies, of course).

i think maybe just expanding one man's dream would be fine. theres only so many people who are going to want to go to a museum while at disney world.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    The point where it becomes a half day park i think is after you've seen the shows before or more then once. if you aren't interested in going to the shows then I agree its a half day park but if you choose to do all the attractions it has to offer then its easily a full day park. the only individuals that say this are only interested in rides.
    Ah, that makes sense. I hear that comment a LOT about DHS, but I didn't think that they were skipping the theatrical stuff- I only saw Beauty & The Beast and The Little Mermaid, and that still took up a big chunk of time.

personally I would want to see a three tier 'land' expansion. Lucas land first would allow them to expand both the starwars and Indiana jones properties. then follow this with a muppets mini-land which is long over due, and then top it off with an expansion of the pixar place to a full fledged land these additions combined would make the park easily a full day experience for thrill seekers.
    Yeah, any formation of extra Lands would be good- a full-blown Pixar Place could virtually be it's own THEME PARK these days, but doing bits & pieces to each park works even better because it spreads the love (and attention) around. The attention Radiator Springs Racers gets would be worth the addition alone, even though I didn't care for Cars in general. Making a whole Land of extra Pixar stuff would be great, as would adding Star Wars. A bit too expensive to do all at once though, I'd imagine.

I'm not sure about a Muppets Land, though- is that a big enough thing? The last movie didn't even do that well.

i think maybe just expanding one man's dream would be fine. theres only so many people who are going to want to go to a museum while at disney world.
    Sure, but that's just more stuff that would interest ME .

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Jabroniville View Post
    I'm not sure about a Muppets Land, though- is that a big enough thing? The last movie didn't even do that well.
    All I'm talking about is giving it its own mini land. you basically have that right now so it would be pretty simple to do. just update the quality of the 3-D movie you don't even need to update the content if you don't want to outside of the end where the hole is blown through muppet studios as that scene is way too 90's. then change pizza planet and mama melrose restaurants to a muppet theme, and on the grounds of the currently empty backlot theatre add a family friendly muppets dark ride. its affordable, fills a big need in the park, fixes some thematic issues (like pizza planet being totally separated from the other toy story stuff) and is overall awesome as the muppets still have a fan base across generations and this would help keep them going into the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast