Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Minion

Angry Another Reason to be Ejected from the Park

ORDDU: So yesterday--5/23/14--my sisters and I attended the 24 hour party where many guests came in costume as Disney characters.

ORWEN: For the most part we had a good time but there was one thing that happened that put a damper on our fun. We saw this cute young couple dressed up as Anna and Kristoff from FROZEN. They were so adorable that we wanted to take their picture.

ORDDU: When we asked them if we could do so they said they normally wouldn't mind but that they were instructed by a cast member to NOT pose for pictures because they could be ejected from the park if they did that.

ORWEN: Since we've often gone to Mickey's No So Scary Halloween party in the past, without having been told a thing about this policy, we were surprised.

ORDDU: Since we didn't want to risk having this couple get into any trouble, we agreed not to take any pictures of them.

ORWEN: We later talked to a cast member about this who said they never heard of such a policy whereby a guest would be kicked out of the park for posing for pictures with another guest.

ORDDU: But we also spoke to someone at City Hall who said it is true that Disney management discourages guests from taking pictures of each other inside the park while in costume. They said they wanted to avoid 'confusion'.

ORWEN: I told them that's like inviting somebody to dinner and then telling them not to eat. I mean, you just KNOW that when guests show up in costume at the parks, the natural thing others are gonna' want to do is take pictures of each other.

ORDDU: We say that if Disney management is so paranoid about guests in costume being confused with the 'real' characters inside the park, they should just cease from inviting guests to come to the parks in costume at all. Otherwise it sets everyone up for disappointment when they're told they can't pose for pictures--or that they might be ejected from the park if they do.

• Metro-Retro Historian

Re: Another Reason to be Ejected from the Park

I don't know if it was just for the 24 hour event or Disney is just getting more relaxed with the rules but they usually don't allow adults in costume to enter the park.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

ORDDU: Correct. Disney does not normally allow adult guests into the park while wearing a costume. But 5/23/14 was not normal. It was a special event--just as is Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween, when adults are allowed to wear costumes.

I think I know who you are talking about. I think I saw a picture of them posted somewhere on another site. They were cute. She had a Olaf doll and he had the reindeer in his hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I don't know if it was just for the 24 hour event or Disney is just getting more relaxed with the rules but they usually don't allow adults in costume to enter the park.
    We went to the "Not so Scary...." event a couple years ago and we all were in costume. My son, then 22 was going to go as "Jack Sparrow" to make his girl friend happy as he has the whole thing down. When they checked to be sure it was ok they were informed it was frowned upon to dress AS a disney character. The reasoning was they didn't want the other guest to be confused by someone who WASN'T a Disney employee. I suppose it make sense as to a non-employee acting up it might be confusing.

He went as a pirate and we had a great time. He still got a few people looking to take pictures.

Name:  costume crew.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  228.0 KB

• Shubisha

When people come dressed in costume, they are often told of this policy. They don't want people coming and posing for meet'n'greets, signing autographs, or pretending to be the real characters. Usually as long as it's just a couple people if someone gets a photograph with a guest in a great costume it can slide as long as the guest is very vocally clear that they are not the character, but in general security will give that threat and guests don't do it out of paranoia they'll get kicked out for it. It's not new though.

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, in for this particular event, I thought Disney was actually encouraging people to come as their favorite Disney character. So it's rather hypocritical to encourage guests to do such a thing, only to be told they can't have their picture taken by other guests. Again, it's like inviting someone to dinner and then telling them not to eat anything.

ORWEN: And you really can't police that many people anyway. So if Disney doesn't like it they need to stop holding events where they allow adults to come in Disney character costumes to begin with! That ought to settle the whole problem, seeing as how paranoid they've become.

ORGOCH: Got lawyers?

• Metro-Retro Historian

Why don't they just let people come in costume and have some large "I am not a cast member" buttons to hand out at the gate? That would take care of the confusion issue easy enough.

Unless their real concern is people showing up in better costumes than the ones they make their face characters wear.
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.

• Minion

Why don't they just let people come in costume and have some large "I am not a cast member" buttons to hand out at the gate? That would take care of the confusion issue easy enough.

Unless their real concern is people showing up in better costumes than the ones they make their face characters wear.
    great idea!

• Minion

smart but then people could just take them off or wear them in an inconspicuous way. I think unfortunately that the primary reason why they don't allow this is that if something unprofessional happens between a costumed guest and another guest then the company would get sued, its a liability issue. for example peterpan could be meeting in the UK at epcot but at the same time a drunk guest dressed up like peterpan could be making rounds and who knows what inappropriate stuff could happen, god forbid if that individual is on the registry or was some other sort of predator like that. you really just never know today.

• Under that tree again!

From Disneyland.com or Disneyworld.com in regards to unallowed clothing
    costumes or clothing that can be viewed as representative of an actual Disney character
    It is official policy.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Minion

ORDDU: Epcot doesn't have any events where guests are allowed to wear Disney character costumes. It's only at the Magic Kingdom that has special events for such things. So there's no danger of anyone at Epcot getting drunk while in costume.

ORWEN: I really think Disney management needs to do away with encouraging guests to come in costume at the M.K, if they're going to be so paranoid about what 'might' happen during such events.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Epcot doesn't have any events where guests are allowed to wear Disney character costumes. It's only at the Magic Kingdom that has special events for such things. So there's no danger of anyone at Epcot getting drunk while in costume.

ORWEN: I really think Disney management needs to do away with encouraging guests to come in costume at the M.K, if they're going to be so paranoid about what 'might' happen during such events.
    it was just an example and people can come drunk in costume, just because they don't serve alcohol in the park doesn't mean people cant drink it before they come or sneak it in. furthermore is doesn't do away with a variety of other concerns present with this. i think the concept of coming in costume is fine how disney views it which is basically get your face painted and wear one of the costume tshirts they sell but its when people go through all the trouble of doing such an amazing job that it confuses kids is where it becomes problematic. personally i love how people put so much effort in to show their disney spirit but i can see where the management is coming from.

•   
    • PHF

Blog Entries

I believe this is the proper response to the issue. Someone at the gates should use their own discretion and tell anyone that is in a costume that is elaborate enough to confuse young children that they must announce that they are not CM's and are not permitted to take photographs with other guests while attending the RYDS event.

IMO, I don't think any adult should ever wear a Disney costume to a Disney Park unless they work there. Kids are going to get confused, embarrassed, and ultimately the magic that Disney creates with their characters will be ruined.

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Correct. Disney does not normally allow adult guests into the park while wearing a costume. But 5/23/14 was not normal. It was a special event--just as is Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween, when adults are allowed to wear costumes.

The Halloween Party has specific rules about not posing for pictures as well. I have been to the Halloween parties on both coasts and the rules are the same. I would assume the 24 hour party would be the same.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast