Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Rainbow Tunnel Re-open in Epcot?

I was watching the disney Vacation Planning Video and it showed this image for a split second. Im not sure if it is but it look like the rainbow tunnel ...
    Misleading if they aren't thinking of reopening it!

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Re: Rainbow Tunnel Re-open in Epcot?

Doesn't look like the Sensor in old upstairs Imageworks (which is definitely still closed) to me. I'd need to see the actual clip instead of just a screen capture to be sure but I highly doubt that's what it is. Last I heard they took all colored lights out of that tunnel years ago.

*EDIT*

Ok I found the DVD on YouTube and this looks like a part of one of the old Innoventions exhibits that isn't there anymore that I know of - it was kind of a "recreation" but not really of the rainbow tunnel (by where the old Segway exhibit used to be). They even show a clip of an AA that looks like the Timekeeper (from the old MK attraction), which is REALLY odd. Never seen anything like that at Epcot before (and I've been to Epcot a LOT . Now I'm all confused.
    Last edited by aimster; 06-09-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Yes exactly! its weird that its in the 2014 Vacation Planning Video! Its misleading! Especially cause the shot look recent and super good quality!

• Minion

for them to reopen that though they would need to reopen the entire upstairs imageworks again and if I'm not mistaken it is still currently a giant storage area/graveyard currently.

It isn't something they took from the past, it's definitely something recent. It just looks as if they brought a family to the abandoned Image Works to shoot one shot of them walking through the rainbow tunnel. It's not even lite up, nor is the location they are walking to.

It's misleading. And if they were bringing it back, it would have to be completely redone. The upstairs right now is a mess.

I want to know where this exact location is cause it still looks cool to me! I'd love to walk through it in September if it is recent... And not one of the many gone but not forgotten things in wdw
    WDW: 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 2003, 2014
    Disneyland: 1997, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2014

"Mustard... Yes, but MUSTARD?! Don't let's be silly!

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    I heard somewhere that there are 999 dead people living in The Haunted Mansion........

It's gone. Was removed from Innoventions West during its 2007 rehab.

The rainbow tunnel was so cool I hope it makes a comeback someday at EPCOT Centre

I would be absolutely thrilled if the rainbow tunnel reopened! I went to EPCOT when I was a young child, in 1986 or so. Fast forward to 2007, when I made my return to WDW with my new wife on our honeymoon. My biggest memory of the trip as a child was the rainbow tunnel, and I told my wife about it on the flight from LAX to Orlando. The second day of our honeymoon we hit EPCOT center, and I excitedly led her over to the imagination pavilion. When we arrived, we rode the ride, then I asked about the rainbow tunnel. I learned that not only was it closed, it had been closed so long it took asking three CMs before I found one who knew what I was even talking about. Anyway, we head back to The World in January, and it would make my whole trip if the tunnel was reopened.

I've never seen it in person, only YouTube and pictures... Wish I had though!
    WDW: 1991, 1993, 1995, 1997, 2003, 2014
    Disneyland: 1997, 2001, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2014

"Mustard... Yes, but MUSTARD?! Don't let's be silly!

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    I heard somewhere that there are 999 dead people living in The Haunted Mansion........

I don't see it reopening by Jan unless they work on it right away. I don't see them renovating and bringing back the Rainbow Tunnel unless there is something more. Everything else has been ripped out, with little bits and pieces everywhere. So, they would have to clean everything up and bring everything back, or add new things up there.

But considering in the commercial it's not even lit up, I don't know if it's necessarily a hint that they will bring it back. It just seems to be just something else to showcase EPCOT, even if it's something that you can't get to.

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    I don't see it reopening by Jan unless they work on it right away. I don't see them renovating and bringing back the Rainbow Tunnel unless there is something more. Everything else has been ripped out, with little bits and pieces everywhere. So, they would have to clean everything up and bring everything back, or add new things up there.

But considering in the commercial it's not even lit up, I don't know if it's necessarily a hint that they will bring it back. It just seems to be just something else to showcase EPCOT, even if it's something that you can't get to.
    The tunnel in the video above was from stock footage of innoventions, not the original rainbow tunnel.

I heard that, since they closed down the upper floor, they are now subject to ADA laws and are legally not allowed to reopen it until it is wheelchair accessible since it would fall under a renovation clause of sorts. Unless I'm mistaken, it's only accessible by stairs now. So I'm not really sure if it's possible for it to be coming back at this point in time, unless they've been planning to install elevators.
    "But to look beyond the glory is the hardest part for a hero's strength is measured by his heart."

The elevator has been there all along and still is.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Quote Originally Posted by SpoonCM View Post
    The tunnel in the video above was from stock footage of innoventions, not the original rainbow tunnel.
    That's what I was thinking too. I knew it wasn't the old Image Works Sensor (the official name of the rainbow tunnel). Sensor looked like this:

Name:  sensor.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  104.1 KB

Name:  sensor2.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  42.1 KB

Sensor used actual neon lighting. The photo the OP showed from the video was kind of a recreation that was in Innoventions West near the old Segeway exhibit. I remember this well now. That rainbow tunnel used different technology (LCD maybe) with their lighting.

From what I've heard & photos I've seen, Sensor is still in the upstairs old Image Works, but all the neon lighting has been removed and it's just a plain white tunnel now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast