Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24
  1. #16

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    358

    Re: Planning Trip: Advice & Suggestions? (Especially Fastpass)

    Quote Originally Posted by DocSc00teR View Post
    DAYS IN THE PARK -- A friend told me that their trick for avoiding crowds was to stay away from any park with early/late hours. Really? We were thinking of taking advantage of those early mornings. Mistake?
    Early morning is really only a pain at MK and only for the kiddie rush to Fantasyland rides. It is a near requirement for the AK if you want to have a better chance at seeing animals. Lots of the animals are out and about early in the morning but by afternoon when it starts to heat up will be hard to find. 15th and 19th will be early morning hours at AK.

    Also the extended hours never seemed to be that bad at MK because a lot of the little kids are worn out and not everyone will be willing to stay late. During your trip the 15th is the only time MK will be open later than normal.

    I would suggest you go to Extra Magic Hour at Walt Disney World as they have a nice list of not only the different parks calendars but also what rides are open for each extra magic hour.... not all rides will be open during those extra hours so depending on what you are wanting to do the extra hour might not be of much value to you.

  2. #17

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    13

    Re: Planning Trip: Advice & Suggestions? (Especially Fastpass)

    Thanks for the link to the Extra Magic Hours attractions that will be open, Mackster. That's really helpful!

    Yeah, I think we'll stick with our schedule and take advantage of all the longer hours for the various parks. I'm guessing that the crowds will be somewhat light simply because we'll be there in the middle of the week, in the middle of September. Between that, the Fastpasses, and the extra hours, we should be fine.

    (Of course, there is part of me that's tempted to try and figure out how to tack on an extra day or two to visit Universal; the reviews of the Harry Potter expansion are really tempting... But the cost of that dual-park pass plus another night or two of lodging & meals is a bit intimidating...)

  3. #18

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    358

    Re: Planning Trip: Advice & Suggestions? (Especially Fastpass)

    Quote Originally Posted by DocSc00teR View Post
    Thanks for the link to the Extra Magic Hours attractions that will be open, Mackster. That's really helpful!

    Yeah, I think we'll stick with our schedule and take advantage of all the longer hours for the various parks. I'm guessing that the crowds will be somewhat light simply because we'll be there in the middle of the week, in the middle of September. Between that, the Fastpasses, and the extra hours, we should be fine.

    (Of course, there is part of me that's tempted to try and figure out how to tack on an extra day or two to visit Universal; the reviews of the Harry Potter expansion are really tempting... But the cost of that dual-park pass plus another night or two of lodging & meals is a bit intimidating...)
    If you do decide to tack on Universal make sure you stay at a universal hotel so you can get their version of fastpass, without it Potter land would be the pits.

  4. #19

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    13

    Re: Planning Trip: Advice & Suggestions? (Especially Fastpass)

    We received our first mailing from Disney about the upcoming vacation. So the Dumbo magnet (with date reminders) is now on the fridge, and everyone is buzzing about the trip.

    We're looking at getting shirts made...

  5. #20

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    125

    Re: Planning Trip: Advice & Suggestions? (Especially Fastpass)

    My GF and I are going September 19th-21st and staying at Port Oleans Riverside. Looks like I'll be counting down with you!
    I do some podcasts and I use some pretty filthy language. If you're interested, you can check them out. But don't say I didn't warn you.

    http://jerradshow.com

  6. #21

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    10

    Re: Planning Trip: Advice & Suggestions? (Especially Fastpass)

    I 100% suggest using at least one of your fastpass openings throughout your trip on entertainment (parades or fireworks). When I went, I had a fastpass for Celebrate a Dream Come True (now replaced with FoF of course) and it was quite possibly the best Disney experience of my life. I'm not exaggerating. They have a special area in the hub right in front of the castle roped off just for people with FP+ reservations. It seems as though the characters are also told to spoil you rotten with attention. Either that or they just really liked my friends and I. I would recommend reserving Festival of Fantasy especially since it's new and people are going crazy about it. You will have a guaranteed great spot and I promise it's a really fabulous opportunity. Booking an entertainment fastpass is so much more than saving yourself time like with the rides...you are booking yourself an experience.
    "But to look beyond the glory is the hardest part for a hero's strength is measured by his heart."

  7. #22

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    13

    Re: Planning Trip: Advice & Suggestions? (Especially Fastpass)

    Quote Originally Posted by caitlinCADE View Post
    I 100% suggest using at least one of your fastpass openings throughout your trip on entertainment (parades or fireworks).
    We've talked about the possibility of using our first 3 pre-reserve FastPasses for MK attractions like the new 7 Dwarfs coaster, Splash Mountain, and Thunder Mountain -- trying to do those before lunch. And then checking to see if any FPs exist for a parade as our 4th or 5th option. Then again, if we take advantage of early hours, maybe we don't need FPs for the mountains?

    I know people say to snag one for Peter Pan, but I'm not sure the rest of the clan would be as interested in prioritizing that one as I would.

    And none of us want to ride Space Mountain. We've been spoiled by Disneyland's version of the ride, and our only negative memory of our entire trip to WDW many years ago was feeling kind of "beat up" by how rough the WDW version of Space Mountain is.

  8. #23

    • Member
    • Online

    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Tampa, FL
    Posts
    125

    Re: Planning Trip: Advice & Suggestions? (Especially Fastpass)

    Quote Originally Posted by DocSc00teR View Post
    We've talked about the possibility of using our first 3 pre-reserve FastPasses for MK attractions like the new 7 Dwarfs coaster, Splash Mountain, and Thunder Mountain -- trying to do those before lunch. And then checking to see if any FPs exist for a parade as our 4th or 5th option. Then again, if we take advantage of early hours, maybe we don't need FPs for the mountains?
    Interesting dilemma. FPs for fireworks and parades run out a week or more before your visit, so you must book these early. Only problem is, you can't book FPs for earlier in the day if you have FPs for night, since you have to wait for your first 3 FPs you booked to run out.

    Also, even in the early or slow hours, the mountains have about a 20 minute standby wait time, while the FP line is 5-10 minutes. Some times with FP it is possible to walk right on the ride with a 30+ minute standby line.

    Quote Originally Posted by DocSc00teR View Post
    I know people say to snag one for Peter Pan, but I'm not sure the rest of the clan would be as interested in prioritizing that one as I would.
    People say grab a FP for PP because even in the absolute DEADEST of times in the park, when all the other rides at 5-10 minutes standby, PP is guaranteed 40+ min. You will not be able to ride this ride unless you wait close to an hour, or book a FP. However, FPs for PP and other rides (except 7DMT) do not run out like the ones for parades or fireworks, and can be booked later in the day if your family decides they want to check it out.
    I do some podcasts and I use some pretty filthy language. If you're interested, you can check them out. But don't say I didn't warn you.

    http://jerradshow.com

  9. #24

    • New Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    13

    Re: Planning Trip: Advice & Suggestions? (Especially Fastpass)

    OK. So we'll hold off on the Peter Pan FastPass (and see if the rest of the family even wants to experience that). And I think we'll hold off on getting a parade FastPass, even though those may sell out. We don't want to limit ourselves to our original 3 FPs and not be able to pick up other ones as the day goes on. Here's hoping for light crowds in mid-September anyways...

    Besides, I have to be careful not to "over-plan" this trip. I'm so eager for the vacation that it's easy to meddle and fiddle and plan away while I wait for the date, and then I'll have killed the very spontenaity and casual pacing that we all talked about this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •