Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: American Idol to close Jan 2015

@goofy donald

I could definitely see them being risk averse enough to wait until summer 2016, that's a very fair point. By then Episode VII will have been in theaters since December and it's impact will be crystal clear.

My own personal feeling is that it's going to hit like an Atom Bomb. It's a perfect storm for a box-office mega-hit. If Disney can market and promote mediocre and forgettable films like PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES and ALICE IN WONDERLAND to over a billion world-wide box-office, then the very long awaited sequel to the most popular movie series in the history of cinema should do mind blowing numbers.

If it's insanely huge they'd be crazy not to take advantage of it. I heard the term "Potter Swatter" in another thread, and that sounds pretty apropos. Walt Disney World wants guests to stay on property, making Disney's Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios legit full day parks by adding Avatar Land and Star Wars Land respectively is a great way to do it.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Adventure View Post
    @goofy donald

I could definitely see them being risk averse enough to wait until summer 2016, that's a very fair point. By then Episode VII will have been in theaters since December and it's impact will be crystal clear.

My own personal feeling is that it's going to hit like an Atom Bomb. It's a perfect storm for a box-office mega-hit. If Disney can market and promote mediocre and forgettable films like PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: ON STRANGER TIDES and ALICE IN WONDERLAND to over a billion world-wide box-office, then the very long awaited sequel to the most popular movie series in the history of cinema should do mind blowing numbers.

If it's insanely huge they'd be crazy not to take advantage of it. I heard the term "Potter Swatter" in another thread, and that sounds pretty apropos. Walt Disney World wants guests to stay on property, making Disney's Animal Kingdom and Disney's Hollywood Studios legit full day parks by adding Avatar Land and Star Wars Land respectively is a great way to do it.
    to assume this would serve to rival universal orlando's bi-park harry potter experience would be unfair before they even draw up blue prints. this would put a big dent in evening out the advancements but then you have to think about all the other additions they've received while disney was still twiddling their thumbs with new fantasyland (krustyland, transformers, despicable me, citywalk updates, currently breaking ground on a jurassic park expansion, a new value hotel etc.) for disney to really rival universal in terms of development which is what the terminology intends, they would need not only these three major projects in avatar star wars and disney springs, along with new fantasyland but also I would say a significant pixar expansion and another country in epcot, and thats only on the basis that universal doesn't build anything else over the next decade it takes disney to catch up.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Pizzapants View Post
    Regarding the speed of construction, I feel like everyone is leaving out the new Harambe. I know it's just a theater building and a few other things, but it's still highly detailed and went up really fast. Just pointing out that faster projects do exist. Not sure what point I'm making here. Obviously a full scale alleged Star Wars land would take much longer.
    I mentioned it.. it took nearly a year. Construction started before they closed the show. It's similar to Fantasy Faire.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Pilot EdForceOne

Is this the Imagineer's forum? Because it feels like its full of blue sky dreaming.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

I use the term "Potter Swatter" in a good natured way. I absolutely love Universal Studios and I'm really excited to experience the Wizarding World in its entirety since I haven't been to Orlando since 2008. I think what they're doing is incredible.
    But Avatar and Star Wars as full lands will be so memorable and mind-blowing that they'll definitely rival the total development of USO and IoA. Something like Transformers: The Ride is a nice attraction, but it's still just a motion simulator in front of projections, with the kind of lame movie version of the iconic characters, and housed in a plain looking building. I liked it fine and enjoyed riding it a few times, but it didn't feel all that exceptional. I thought the moving Transformers characters out in front of the attraction were significantly more interesting than the ride. My reaction when Bumblebee started walking around was pure shock.

I guess we'll find out how popular the WDW additions are in the coming years, but I think walking in to Pandora and seeing floating mountains and being in a bioluminescent jungle will just floor people. That's not including the attractions or other expansions, just entering Avatar Land will be a very memorable experience just on it's own.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Is this the Imagineer's forum? Because it feels like its full of blue sky dreaming.
    You're spot on, there's way too much wondering and dreaming about what will go into the area vacated by the American Idol Experience in this thread titled "American Idol to close Jan 2015".

We should just assume it will remain empty and unused for the remainder of the park's existence.

Don't think there's anything wrong with a little blue sky, but it should be grounded in reality. Like half this thread is moot since Indy isn't going any where any time soon. To fit the timeline you'd end up with a "StarWars Alley" vs a whole land.

American Idol never deserved to be in any Disney park, ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Kovu View Post
    American Idol never deserved to be in any Disney park, ever.
    Agreed.

• Bangarang!

I've never been a fan and I've never had a huge issue with it, but I have to agree. It just seemed a bit of an odd 'loan of an IP' attraction.

Then again, the Studios have never been shy of that before. Look at the Ninja Turtles or Ace Ventura.

Anyway, I'll look on the positive side, Idol was a brief part of the parks history and there's probably plenty of people who enjoyed it. Now onwards to hopefully something new and exciting.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I've never been a fan and I've never had a huge issue with it, but I have to agree. It just seemed a bit of an odd 'loan of an IP' attraction.

Then again, the Studios have never been shy of that before. Look at the Ninja Turtles or Ace Ventura.

Anyway, I'll look on the positive side, Idol was a brief part of the parks history and there's probably plenty of people who enjoyed it. Now onwards to hopefully something new and exciting.
    Oh my God, I totally forgot about those...so wrong! lol

I remember the Ninja Turtles. I don't remember Ace Ventura. When was he promoted there? I remember the Power Rangers too. LOL!

• Bangarang!

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Oh my God, I totally forgot about those...so wrong! lol
    haha forgot or blocked them from memory?

I remember waiting for ages in the baking sun to see the Turtles show.

Quote Originally Posted by Timon'sGirl View Post
    I don't remember Ace Ventura. When was he promoted there?
    He had his own show on the Streets of America. It was back in '96 when they were promoting 'When Nature Calls'.

Edit: Found this clip...

I remember the Power Rangers too. LOL!
    Ah yes. Although they were probably under the Mouse's umberella at that time. Still it was an odd addition at the time.. their heyday was long behind them.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

@Hathaway Browne Thanks for posting that. I am glad I never got to see that because I would have passed on it. lol! That was terrible.

• Bangarang!

@Hathaway Browne Thanks for posting that. I am glad I never got to see that because I would have passed on it. lol! That was terrible.
    You're welcome. Its certainly worse than I remember. Although I recall the time I saw it more for 'Ace' pointing out that a fellow guest was a dead ringer for Warren Beatty and acted all star struck.

And believe me, it was uncanny. You would have sworn it was ol' Dick Tracy himself.

Walt Disney

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast