First trip next week!

Hello everyone, I am super excited to be going to Disney World next week arriving Wednesday and leaving Monday. I was looking up the weather report and found thunderstorms and rain for the whole time. If anyone could let me know what we still will be able to do or if the weather forecast is reliable it would be greatly appreciated. We are also wondering how we should arrange our schedule for the weather, we have park hopper tickets and plan on going to the 4 main theme parks but not e water parks. Thank you

• Minion

Re: First trip next week!

hey and congrats on your trip! there are a few things that close down in in climate wether but for the most part disney is pretty park friendly during the rain. just be prepared with rain gear (jackets, umbrellas, good fast drying shoes, ponchos etc.) and you can still enjoy the park almost like you would any other day. as mentioned before when it gets really bad you have the outdoor rides like splash, big thunder, everest, test track, kali rapids etc. close down but you will just have to do your best to work around it. a lot of times florida thunder showers go hard for a short period of time and then brighten right back up again, rarely is there consistent down pour. perfect example my vacation in may we were to expect rain the whole trip, had 2 days where it alternated between a drizzle and showers and 1 day with huge showers for 30 mins in the morning and relative sun the rest of the way with 4 days of perfect weather.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Great advice goofy donald.

I live in Tampa, FL, very close to WDW and we have been getting thunderstorms every afternoon that last 15 minutes to an hour. Florida is infamous for lightning. Some storms can cause up to 100+ strikes a minute.

My advice: If you are in a park, and lightning starts striking, do not panic. I've seen lightning strikes on WDW property that have been so close and bright that it made everything white, like a nuclear bomb flash. But don't worry. WDW has lightning rods everywhere and they work. You're definitely not going to get struck by lightning at WDW (well, unless you are on a golf course or a parking lot or something.)

Flip-flops are for sale at many gift shops, as are dry clothes, towels. You could also bring a dry change of clothes and store it in for once the storm stops. Board shorts and swim trunks dry quickly and are usually a must for me in warm months.

You are visiting WDW at it's hottest, most crowded, and at one of the worse times of the year weather wise.

Good luck.
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog

"You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    Flip-flops are for sale at many gift shops, as are dry clothes, towels. You could also bring a dry change of clothes and store it in for once the storm stops. Board shorts and swim trunks dry quickly and are usually a must for me in warm months.

You are visiting WDW at it's hottest, most crowded, and at one of the worse times of the year weather wise.

Good luck.
    yeah I would recommend wearing clothing that dries quickly as well or stuff that doesn't feel uncomfortable when wet as well as if you really feel its necessary a change of clothes. if you start having to rely on WDW for ponchos let alone fresh clothes, towels, or a rain jacket it starts to get ridiculously expensive.

Its not all doom and gloom and while this time of year isn't ideal it certainly isn't the worst time to go to disney (holiday season). should still have a great time.

Each of the four main parks have inside rides, especially Hollywood Studios (lots of inside rides there - may want to save it for your rainiest day). Another attraction a lot of people might not know about at Hollywood Studios is taking a free 20 minute class to draw a Disney character (that is also inside). Epcot can be done in the rain too - as you probably want to sample some food - hello inside restaurants and pavilions. Also, Soar, my favorite ride at Epcot, is inside. The giant golf ball at Epcot is an inside ride too. I would save Animal Kingdom for your least rainy day because the must-do ride there, the safari is outside.

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

The rain can be expected most any day, and as others have said, is usually short in duration and not much of an interruption. We always take a backpack into the parks. We take two mini umbrellas and two travel parkas (made of nylon so they are pretty waterproof, dry quickly, and fold up into a size similar to a thick handkerchief.) we usually are wearing a baseball cap, so we pull the parka hood up over our hats and stay remarkably dry. There are plastic ponchos available at the parks, or for a lot less, at dollar stores across the nation.

Hope you have an amazing time!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

Thank you all for the advice I'm still just as excited as ever!!!! Does anyone know which rides usually close down when it's raining or when there is lightning?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGreek1 View Post
    Thank you all for the advice I'm still just as excited as ever!!!! Does anyone know which rides usually close down when it's raining or when there is lightning?
    Just think anything with an outside portion, usually a safe bet rain doesn't close down any attraction unless its rather heavy but threat of lightning will. also any outdoor performance or parade is obviously included in this as well

MK: Big thunder, seven dwarfs, dumbo, great goofini, splash mountain, jungle cruise, astro orbiter, magic carpets

Epcot: Test track

DHS: Lights motors action, backlot tour,

AK: Everest, kali rapids, the safari, animal encounters, flights of wonder

Thanks everyone! Leaving tomorrow and I cannot contain myself haha no matter the weather I plan on having an amazing time and am looking forward to every minute of it.

Be prepared for rain (ponchos, good shoes, etc) but realize that the rain won't be for more than an hour. A lot of stuff is still open during the rain.

• Pox-worthy since 1973

When you're in Epcot, make several stops at Club Cool during the day. You can get as many free samples of sodas from around the world as you want.

But, under no circumstances DO NOT DRINK THE SODA LABLED "BEVERLY"!!!

It tastes AWFUL.

"You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to."

Robin Williams
    July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014