• formerly very helpful

Best Resort Location, and Why?

I'll assume that as far as rooms, beds, food courts and pools, each Disney World resort is up to my own standards. That said, thinking about transportation, for someone who intends to get all over the resort, including all 4 theme parks, Downtown Disney, the water parks, and sports activities like parasailing and horseback riding, which resort would be the best, in your opinion, and why?

I'm leaning toward the Polynesian right now, since it's a monorail resort, but is walking distance from the TTC to get the monorail to Epcot, instead of having to transfer from a different monorail.

What are your thoughts?

• Minion

Re: Best Resort Location, and Why?

for location there are so many reasons why you cannot beat the beach club. hands down it wins in almost every way when discussing transportation options and proximity to everything.

• #bringevilback

The Poly makes since for the reasons you said, but an Epcot resort would have similar benefits, although you'd have to walk across the park to get to the monorail. But, you'd be close to Epcot and I LOVED world showcase! My brother stayed at AKL and while they loved the resort, they would opt for a monorail resort for the next trip

Honestly though, I used my rental car and loved the freedom I had from that. It was so much easier than using the disney bus system (I stayed at Pop) but would work for DHS and DAK if staying at a monorail/Epcot resort. Plus, it makes getting to USF for Harry Potter a breeze, and you can always make outside trips for food, snacks, supplies, or even a break from the disney "bubble"
    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse

I stayed in the Yacht Club, perfect in every way. I liked it better than the beach club (even though they sit right next to each other, even share the same AMAZING pool). So it has the ease of access that the beach has, but a better, more relaxed theme than the beach. I can't recommend it enough.

I haven't seen, or stayed at all the resorts, but when I do not stay, or go to the theme parks, I like to generally move from place to place to enjoy the general area and when I do that I park at Fort Wilderness.

It seems like the place (to me) with the most convenience. You take a boat to Magic Kingdom, then go on the Monorail to go to some of the other hotels, or EPCOT, or just go on the buses at MK to the other places you might need to go, or just take the buses that are already at Fort Wilderness.
    Last edited by DisCollector; 07-04-2014 at 10:17 AM.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

I have two.

One, because I agree with DisCollector on FWL. I love that boat ride. It takes you by Discovery Island and through the channel that connects Bay Lake & the Seven Seas Lagoon. It's not a long boat ride and it's direct. Then once you get to MK you have a PLETHORA of busses taking you to DD and every single resort & park, a new bus showing up every couple of seconds. You also have 2 monorail lines at your disposal, the express and the hotels lines. But, if your headed to T&TC for a monorail trip to EPCOT, you could take the ferry across the Seven Seas Lagoon & enjoy a little more water transportation.

The second is Port Orleans: Riverside. The Sassagoula River Cruise is another one of my favorite boat rides on the property. The boats are covered with an awning top, with open air sides very similar to the boats in the Jungle Cruise. It connects the Port Orleans resorts with DD, and since Riverside is farthest away from DD, staying there would allow you to enjoy the longest cruises available.

I love the water transportation at WDW and to me, it's an attraction in itself.
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog
    "You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while."

• formerly very helpful

I remember fondly that boat ride when I stayed at Dixie Landings many, MANY years ago. Enjoyed it much. It was nighttime and an electrical storm was brewing. Meanwhile, on the boat was a small boy whom we ALL found out was terrified of lightning. For a while, as a few stray lightning flashes lit the sky, his mom was able to calm him down by telling him it was just the fireworks from the nearby theme park. Funny thing is, EVERYONE on the boat played along, not wanting him to be terrified. He fell asleep and then it started pouring and the lightning really started at that moment. They dropped us off a little early because of the storm. As we were getting off, the poor kid woke up and started screaming when he realized the storm. That kid is now close to 30 years old, so he's probably not afraid of lightning anymore. Or he may sing the "Thunderbuddies" song from Ted.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

If transportation really is your biggest concern then the best option by far is just to have your own vehicle. There are also not buses between resorts unless they are sharing buses. If you want to get to Fort Wilderness for horseback riding you must first go from your hotel to a park or Downtown Disney and then get on another bus for Fort Wilderness. That can eat up a lot of time if you are not lucky.

The Magic Kingdom Resorts also tend to share buses.

One that i personally like is Port Orleans Riverside.
    1. It is moderate in price.
    2. The buildings are structured around a river obviously and that makes it so beautiful. Makes for great walks and views from rooms.
    3. It seems more quiet than other resort and more peaceful. Never seems very busy.
    4. Architecture is wonderful.
    5. The boats come and you can go on very relaxing rides. You get views of French Quarter and other places that you would never see before.
    6. The boats take you to downtown disney. You dont have to deal with catching a bus back to your resort.
    I am really a big fan of this resort.

1) Anywhere on the monorail line.

2) Monorails.

• "What is thy bidding?"

Planning a trip next spring to WDW for our 25th wedding anniversary. Was looking at both Port Orleans resorts. Will be flying in and will need to rely on the resort transportation. Never stayed on property and will be following this thread closely to get the best fit for our trip. We will need to stay in a moderate resort or value due to budget constraints.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Goofy View Post
    Planning a trip next spring to WDW for our 25th wedding anniversary. Was looking at both Port Orleans resorts. Will be flying in and will need to rely on the resort transportation. Never stayed on property and will be following this thread closely to get the best fit for our trip. We will need to stay in a moderate resort or value due to budget constraints.
    between the two IMO riverside is a nicer option for couples.

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    between the two IMO riverside is a nicer option for couples.
    good to know...thx..

• Former Churro Jockey

Since I live in So Cal and have been to DL hundreds of times, whenever I go to WDW, visiting MK is at the bottom of my to-do list, so for me the Epcot resorts are ideal, since they are right next to Epcot and DS and close to AK. My personal preference is the Dolphin (I'm going back there in Sept which will be my 3rd time staying there) because it seems to have the fewest kids of any of the hotels on property, has a wonderful espresso bar in the lobby (it used to be impossible to find a good cup of coffee anywhere else at WDW, but I haven't been there since Starbuck's opened), has a couple of great restaurants, a laundramat, an awesome pool, beach, and my favorite, the Westin Heavenly beds. Also I find the staff there to be much better then what you'd find at a WDW hotel.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• formerly very helpful

I just put my name on the waiting list for a resort through our timeshare exchange. Since it's nearly 2 years away, I'm told I have a pretty good shot. I put in the request for basically ALL of the Disney owned properties, so I guess the choice of a specific one is now academic.