Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New years at disney world?!!?

Anyone do this regularly? Looking to try it out, im from california so its a lot to lose if it sucks and is way overcrowded like our disney parks on NYE
    Love meeting new fellow Disney fanatics! Facebook Me: Michael Van Anthony Jr

Re: New years at disney world?!!?

crowded. the fireworks are all around you! I think it's more magical than DL's IMHO
    Here I stand, in the light of day, let the storm rage on!!! The cold never bothered me anyway.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

I've never seen WDW overcrowded. Crowded, yes, but nothing like what happens in DL. I've seen videos of DL with rivers of people, filling entire paths, everyone moving at a slow pace. Seems pretty intense, I would probably loose my mind. I have never seen a WDW park like that.
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog
    "You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

However, here is a thread with some NYE reviews saying it gets pretty packed. EPCOT more so than MK because of the sale of alcohol.

New Years At Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    However, here is a thread with some NYE reviews saying it gets pretty packed. EPCOT more so than MK because of the sale of alcohol.

New Years At Disney
    I've seen wdw at capacity, it sucks, and NYE is one of the only times of year that it could potentially reach that. avoid at all costs.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Still thinking about this. I would go to EPCOT on NYE. I think it would be a lot of fun to get a little drunk and happily ring in the new year with other drunk, slightly cold, Disney fans. Apparently the fireworks are pretty awesome. I would probably stay at Boardwalk because of the ability to walk (or stumble) back to the hotel room.

I definitely wouldn't mind the crowds after a few drinks. I mean think about Times Square in NYC. That's gotta be crazy getting out of that.
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog
    "You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

Well crap, i dont drink or like heavy crowds SO, im SOL lol..I throw nightlife events for a living, so i want to avoid that kind of feel. I want to utilize my first nye off in years, right. I am a disney nerd, attempting to make my fiancé one, so not sure HELLA lines will help on a cold NYE....HMMMM. I wonder how the other parks are out the Universal, or just Magic Kingdom down there, its far to intense here, u can enjoy it but no rides or shows, unless u like 90-150 min waits. NO.

I went last year and it was amazing. Make sure you get there early because there is a possibility that they would get to full space and not let anyone new in. So also if you were planning on leaving to get a meal at a resort or something, don't. They might not let you back in. Take advantage of fastpass especially because it will be busy. Have patience. It will be busy but it worth it.

go as early as possible. i did 2012 - 2013 in DL and park only hit capacity at 7:00 PM or so but 2013 - 2014 i went to MK and it was a whole nother story. hit capacity somewhere around 12:00 PM. i wouldn't have gotten in if i wasn't a resort guest. it may be very difficult to ride much, especially with the disastrous new fastpass system.

best tip i can give is avoid the hub as much as possible as it becomes a riot zone as the night goes on. unfortunately for whatever reason, everytime i've gone on NYE Disney does this weird thing where they make traffic from Fantasyland to Tomorrowland one-way which cuts off your ability to get around the park and forces you to take the hub to get to the other side of the park. when i say it's a riot zone i'm not joking, if you have a group make a train with your hands because you can easily lose somebody in that.

and yes, the fireworks are pretty cool.

Hi! Our family has gone to WDW the week between Christmas and New Years for about the past 6 years. If you have the time to prepare for the crowds and work around it, I would highly recommend it. Here's some tips that we've picked up over the past years:

1. Magic Kingdom: This park fills to max capacity typically around 10-11am the days leading up to New Years and on New Years Eve. We've had the best luck going here on Dec. 30. The big plus to doing this is that the fireworks the night of the 30th are the practice run for the fireworks on NYE, and not many people realize this; therefore, you can see the Magic Kingdom NYE fireworks the day before NYE with far fewer crowds. Like everyone above said, stay away from the hub because it tends to get the most congested. The other nice thing about MK is that they put on a TON of street shows, spontaneous parades, etc. during these days because they're trying to draw people away from lines, so there is so much going on around you.

2. Epcot: Go here on NYE- it rarely fills to max capacity, and even if it does, it's a much more spread out park, so it won't feel super busy. Another tip is to enter through the back entrance from the Boardwalk/Yacht Club area. The fireworks here are really spectacular, and since there are so many places to view the fireworks from, it's not usually hard to find a nice spot. Our family doesn't drink at all, and it has never felt like a drinking atmosphere to us. There's lots of concerts, bandstands, shows to enjoy without the drinking atmosphere. Epcot is also very, very good at crowd control, so there's not usually problems of getting caught in bottlenecks.

3. Hollywood Studios: We've never gone here on NYE, but I've heard other people recommend it because you would be able to get into the most attractions. So many of the shows and rides here can take huge capacities of people, so you'll be able to do the most if you choose this park.

4. Animal Kingdom: I wouldn't recommend going here on NYE- the paths are narrow, so if it gets busy, there are so many areas for potential bottlenecks. It doesn't stay open that late, and you would have to leave and try to get into a different park to actually see fireworks (which could be risky, since the other parks will most likely have already reached max capacity).

So I'd say you need to decide what your goal is. If you want to go to WDW to get onto the most attractions, NYE is definitely not the best time to be going (we once saw the stand-by line for Soarin' at 365 minutes; normal wait times for more popular attractions are between 180 and 240 minutes). If you're going for the atmosphere, though, it's a great place to go. Feel free to ask more questions about planning, touring plans, dining reservations, etc. Good luck!

• Pox-worthy since 1973

If you'll be at the MK to bring in "The Year of the Hoverboard", AVOID THE HUB LIKE THE PLAGUE. It's just too crowded. However, because of this, the rest of the park will be almost entirely deserted.

"You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to."

Robin Williams
    July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by PhonyKingOfEngland View Post
    the rest of the park will be almost entirely deserted.
    huh???

is that from your own experience? because it certainly was not from mine. entire park is packed, doesn't matter that most people are in the hub. especially since there's also DJ's at Fronteirland in addition to the hub (or at least there was last year.)

i will say tho after midnight the park actually does progressively get completely deserted. right before 2:00 AM last year was the least crowded i've ever seen a Disney park. in some areas i was literally the only person on a walkway, it was surreal.

but before midnight the park will be at or near capacity.

• Shubisha

Don't go to magic kingdom. It's not worth it. Seriously. They do the fireworks on the night of the 30th also, but even that's just packed beyond reason. Previous years have included people overflowing onto the grass areas by the moat, trying to climb trees, anything it takes to get out of the walkways and mass of humanity.

Hopefully the new hub walkways are finished this year(they should be) but they're untested as of yet and who knows how much help they are when there's that many people. It might just fill up with all the people that would normally give up on the hub previously.

Epcot's really the park of choice. But it's overcrowded too. Takes 30 minutes or so to walk from the entrance to world showcase to the back of it like Japan. They do crowd control narrow walkways. They have several dance parties with cool effects like the fire and neon dragon in China. Backstage gates are open leading to port-a-potties out back to handle the crowds, etc.

Best advice is almost 2 hours before midnight just pick an area and enjoy yourself there the rest of the night(again, I prefer Japan ). You won't be sardine packed once you're off the walkway and you can grab a quick service somewhere and then move forward to the lagoon closer to midnight.

Hollywood Studios I've only done one July 4th. It gets pretty packed with the smaller park and the fact the whole back half of the park is closed off for fireworks fallout safety. So everyone's pretty much in front of the hat or down echo lake. Questionable if it's worth your big night considering there's less to do throughout the evening and the ambiance isn't quite as good as sitting around chilling at Epcot waiting for the countdown.

U are all awesome!!!!! Wow thanks for such detail, i am smiling and really getting excited.

I was at MK last year for New Years and it was amazing! Here are some tips. Get there at opening. It is the busiest day of the year. Once you get it, do not leave! It might get t capacity where they dont let anyone else in. Youre going to want to watch the fireworks and so will everyone else so here is my advice. Dont wait around for two hours on main street. Use the few hours before the fireworks to go on rides. Lines will be short and we were able to cruise through about 7 rides in two hours! Which is amazing for how busy it was. So as the fireworks get closer head to tomorrowland and ride as many as you can. For us, they opened up a gate near buzz lightyear and let a bunch of people into a parking lot. It was the best choice we made on the trip. It wasnt very crowded there and we could see the fireworks and the castle still. After the fireworks do not try to go down main street and leave it is extremely croweded. You should stay and do more things because it will be less crowded. Hope this helped. Have fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast