Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb Ideal Build-Out: "Disney Hollywoodland Park"

Hey guys! I'm lucky enough to write for an enthusiast website called Theme Park Tourist. Recently, I was able to collaborate with the incredible designer S.W. Wilson to bring a few "Ideal Build-Out" conceptual plans to life, basically tidying up and expanding famous parks to be their best selves.

Of course, we started with Disney's Hollywood Studios at Walt Disney World, which (as we all know) is feeling the weight of it's 90s studio theme. Big boxy showbuildings and mismatched rides don't scream "Disney," so I set out to redesign the park from scratch. I initially designed the park on paper:

Then, S.W. took my concept and basically made sure it all fit. He created a scaled conceptual map that realistically organized the park in a way that could physically happen considering backstage facilities, access roads, and showbuilding size for different ride types. (To my credit, I wasn't far off!) Here is S.W.'s brilliant take:

Renamed Disney Hollywoodland Park, the new version has 4 added E-tickets and 7 new, original themed lands. Is it realistic as a park expansion? Of course not. The notion of an "ideal build-out," in S.W.'s style, is to basically imagine where the park could be given unlimited time and resources, built-out to its fullest potential.

Rumors have swirled for a while of Disney's Hollywood Studios getting a Cars Land or a Star Wars land. I took things in a little bit different of a direction.

So, if you're into all things Disney or the above concepts pique your interest, head over to Theme Park Tourist and check out my land-by-land walkthrough of the "new" park! If you want to leave comments there, it would be great! And also here, of course!

I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Re: Ideal Build-Out: "Disney Hollywoodland Park"

This is actually a pretty decent plan, there's just two things.

The plan's missing Hollywood Studios' biggest "people-chuggers", "Fantasmic!" And "Toy Story Mania!". These would have to remain (or as a compromise, JUST Fantasmic!)

Also, a strong "Frozen" presence wouldn't hurt.

Otherwise:

"You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to."

Robin Williams
    July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PhonyKingOfEngland View Post
    The plan's missing Hollywood Studios' biggest "people-chuggers", "Fantasmic!" And "Toy Story Mania!". These would have to remain (or as a compromise, JUST Fantasmic!)

Actually, they are included.
    Check out the link he posted of the land by land walk through. The current rides and shows that are popular are still there, just some are rethemed (TSM & Fantasmic are still there, TSM gets a new queue, and Fantasmic gets Captain Hook's Jolly Roger!). Very cool!

This is a great concept. I enjoy all the little details that are in the ideas of this revamp. I especially like the retheming of RnRC, the new land with Mystic Manor recreation, and The Incredibles ride.

But best of all, no giant hat!
    Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 07-04-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Edit in bold. Previously unclear.
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog
    "You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Two questions bkroz,

How long would the construction take on this project?
    Would Disney have to close the park entirely for a significant amount time?
    "You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Oh, I see them now PlutoHasFleas. Problem with plan withdrawn.

"You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to."

Robin Williams

Looks interesting. Good work. Do you have more details on the new and altered rides? The titles sound good, it would interesting to see more detail about what you see them being

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    Looks interesting. Good work. Do you have more details on the new and altered rides? The titles sound good, it would interesting to see more detail about what you see them being
    Again, check out the 3 page, detailed layout of all the new rides and rethemed. He has a lot of great ideas, has put a lot of work into it, and honestly has me captivated.

Quote Originally Posted by bkroz View Post
    head over to Theme Park Tourist and check out my land-by-land walkthrough of the "new" park!
    http://www.themeparktourist.com/feat...ywoodland-park
    Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 07-04-2014 at 03:07 PM. Reason: Added link

I really like what you did with the park. It has a much better flow and finally gives the park and identity that hasn't really had one since the shortening of the backlot tour and the addition of the Sorcerers Hat. My only complaint would be the lack of an Indiana Jones prescience. I would love to see a rendition of DCA or EPCOT.

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    Two questions bkroz,
    How long would the construction take on this project?
    Would Disney have to close the park entirely for a significant amount time?
    If this went forward, it would be a DCA-style renovation, or larger. Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset Blvd. are more or less untouched (just getting additions or re-dressings) while other attractions that are planned to remain (like Star Tours, Muppet*Vision, and Toy Story Mania) could probably theoretically stay open with only small closures where needed due to access.

This would definitely be a 5-year type thing, unless you wanted to close the park entirely for a few years, which I doubt Disney would do. Anyway, the theoretical purpose of the "Ideal Build-Out" is just to imagine what the park would be like if it were... well... built-out, filled in, rounded out, and perfected. In other words, it's as close to "complete" as I could imagine it for 2014 - 2015. Is it realistic? Nah. But it's fun!

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    Yep, as was linked to, you can read a full walk-through of the "new" park here! It's not exhaustively detailed, but it's a start if you're interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Future15 View Post
    I really like what you did with the park. It has a much better flow and finally gives the park and identity that hasn't really had one since the shortening of the backlot tour and the addition of the Sorcerers Hat. My only complaint would be the lack of an Indiana Jones prescience. I would love to see a rendition of DCA or EPCOT.
    You'll be seeing more Ideal Build-Outs from S.W. Wilson and I... And you may be surprised where Indiana Jones pops up...! Trust me, he's not gone. He's just preparing for a bigger adventure.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! It's great!
    I believe I chose the life of a tomb raider, because
    I'm addicted to the excitement that comes when life hangs in the balance.
    Famous last words.

Ya had me right up until you said "no hat". Come on, put it in the back end and sell foot long corndogs out of it. You could call them Wizard Wands....lol.....BTW , very cool ideas !

bkroz, this is awesome!
    Well done my man
    I especially like the all black & white Mickey and Oswald area, Hollywoodland sign, Muppet Studios, and Villa Fortuna,

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Quote Originally Posted by redrhino54 View Post
    Ya had me right up until you said "no hat"...
    Last edited by PhonyKingOfEngland; 07-17-2014 at 02:19 PM.

Robin Williams

• Blue Skywalker

Is there a way to make the map larger so that everything can be read? It looks awesome.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

This is still one of my favorite DHS ideas.

I like the idea! Just one comment, the flow of the park doesn't seem as if it would handle big crowds well. MK has a hub center, EPCOT has a hub and loop, DAK has a loop, and DHS currently has a multi-loop system. This seems to be aimed towards hub centered, but fails to do that in the back with crowds probably going to clog up pathways near Muppets Studios. But other than that, good concept!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast