Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Not here to help

Epcot to be built finally ...or something like that.

Not sure if you have seen this but...

EPCOT is nothing more than a themepark. It is not what Walt wanted it to be. He had another vision for it.
    Someone else shared his vision. That other person was ready to spend the money needed to make something more like what Walt had planned. Who knows what will come of this but... take a look:

The world according me: http://www.youtube.com/user/TimmyME

• "What is thy bidding?"

Re: Epcot to be built finally ...or something like that.

I saw this in an article Yahoo! and thought....hmmmm a little bit familiar of Walt's vision for his Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow...

What we got at WDW is not the true definition of "EPCOT"
    The current theme park should be called WSTT. "World Showcase and Technology of Tomorrow"

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Goofy View Post
    What we got at WDW is not the true definition of "EPCOT"
    The current theme park should be called WSTT. "World Showcase and Technology of Tomorrow"
    Yup.
    Or "World Showcase and Technology of Today."

• Minion

Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought of EPCOT City with this.

It looks stunning, and that street with the trolley looks incredible, but the whole project looks just too big. 100 hotels? Are they really going to be able to need that capacity? Even if they were having the Olympics, I doubt they'd need 100 hotels on top of what's already in town. Maybe I'm just being to practical on this.

I'm curious though, were there any specific details on EPCOT's actual size? ie. Mall of the World is going to have 5 miles of covered streets alone.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

ORGOCH: If they goes ahead an' builds this thing I hope it don't turn out ta be a glorified FEMA camp!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who thought of EPCOT City with this.

It looks stunning, and that street with the trolley looks incredible, but the whole project looks just too big. 100 hotels? Are they really going to be able to need that capacity? Even if they were having the Olympics, I doubt they'd need 100 hotels on top of what's already in town. Maybe I'm just being to practical on this.

I'm curious though, were there any specific details on EPCOT's actual size? ie. Mall of the World is going to have 5 miles of covered streets alone.
    thats Dubai though. they build rediculous extravagant things because they can with no apparent purpose. case and point they built an entirely enclosed completely functional indoor ski resort in the middle of the desert. this will end up being a relative ghost town but nobody will care.

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    thats Dubai though. they build rediculous extravagant things because they can with no apparent purpose. case and point they built an entirely enclosed completely functional indoor ski resort in the middle of the desert. this will end up being a relative ghost town but nobody will care.
    Imagine what Dubai's Magic Kingdom, if built would look like!!!!

• враг народа

Blog Entries

EPCOT really did not feature new ideas. Traditional Islamic cities are built around the bazaar, a central shopping district that features covered streets designed to provide shelter from the elements. Not all that dissimilar from the organization of EPCOT.

• Minion

ORDDU: It's also not all that dissimilar from pictures I've seen from proposals for colonies on Mars. Maybe they should call it Marscot.

• Minion

Ask and ye shall receive.

Disneyland Dubai concepts.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

oh totally agree, however due to tensions in the region i highly doubt any major american corporation would even sniff handing rights over to anyone over there.

• Sock Puppet

More like World Showcase and Technology of ThePast™.

I'm always ambivalent when I see concepts like this...the models look great but what I appreciate about Disney is they START with what something should look like at eye-level and THEN build the models (followed by the blueprints, based on the models), not the other way around as everyone else does.

Ergo, as a pedestrian, trolley passenger, driver or cyclist living in this concept, how "human-scale" do you suspect it will feel?

That's why Disney's "architecture of reassurance" as it's called works: they design it from a human being's perspective and work outward and not the reverse (which everyone else does, and is certainly exemplified by this video...there's not a single "here's what you'll see when you're within this environment" view).

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    oh totally agree, however due to tensions in the region i highly doubt any major american corporation would even sniff handing rights over to anyone over there.
    I always thought the same until Disney announced theme parks in China. Not Hong Kong. The actual "communist" People's Republic of China.

"Like virtually all governing institutions in the mainland People's Republic of China, the politics of Shanghai is structured in a dual party-government system, in which the Communist Party Chief, officially termed the Communist Party of China Shanghai Municipal Committee Secretary (currently Han Zheng), outranks the Mayor (currently Yang Xiong)."

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mtlchuck View Post
    I always thought the same until Disney announced theme parks in China. Not Hong Kong. The actual "communist" People's Republic of China.

"Like virtually all governing institutions in the mainland People's Republic of China, the politics of Shanghai is structured in a dual party-government system, in which the Communist Party Chief, officially termed the Communist Party of China Shanghai Municipal Committee Secretary (currently Han Zheng), outranks the Mayor (currently Yang Xiong)."
    china and the middle east are two very very different places to do business with in today's climate. If I'm a CEO I'm gladly going to put a park in a thriving and rapidly expanding economic market thats full of fans of my product regardless of the communist-lite air around it over essentially sticking one of the primary symbols of americana smack dab in the middle of a generally hostile and turbulent region. I hate to say it but that place would be attacked and destroyed in a matter of months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast