Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WDS in Paris is just as good as DHS in Orlando

Hey everyone,

So yesterday I realized that Walt Disney Studios in Paris is pretty much just as good as Disney Hollywood Studios (take this statement as a backhanded compliment). Why? Because if you actually compare the parks side-by-side, their offerings are almost exactly the same. Here is a little comparison table showing the DHS attractions and enterntainment and their DHS counterparts:

Attractions:

The Great Movie Ride - Not in WDS, but there's Cinemagique, which even if a movie, is overall a fresher experience than the shadow of its former self the Great Movie Ride has become

Star Tours - Not in WDS, but literally NEXT DOOR, within a kick-*** themed land and with a way nicer queue. Nobody cares about the upgrades in DHS anyhow as it is essentially still an 80's mall simulator.

The American Idol Experience - Meh. WDS has Stitch Live! and Armageddon, the Special Effects make up for it.

Muppet*Vision 3D - An outdated show with 3/4ths of its special effects broken. Animagique makes up for it.

Lights, Motors, Action! Extreme Stunt Show - WDS had it first.

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids: Movie Set Adventure - WDS luckily has none "Does, Anyone Remember This Movie Anyhow? Set Adventure" playgrounds.

Studio Backlot Tour - WDS has it, and both are lame.

Toy Story Midway Mania! - WDS doesn't have it, but it has the brand new Ratatouille and Toy Story Playland (which both make up for TSMM along as for the Little Mermaid and Beauty and the Beast stage shows.)

Disney Junior - WDS has it.

The Magic of Disney Animation - WDS has it.

Rock 'n' Roller Coaster - WDS has it. Considerably underthemed but it does.

The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror - WDS has it.

Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular! - Not in WDS, but WDS has Crush's Coaster which is phenomenal, so it makes up for Indiana Jones every other little offering (like Jedi Academi).

Fantasmic!- Not in WDS, but the park next door has Disney Dreams which makes up for it (it is sincerely one of the best nighttime shows Disney has ever made!)

So with all being said, WDS only needs a nighttime show and a oversized sorcerer's hat to be just like DHS. I am very sarcastic in writing this article, and my point is that DHS needs to step up in its game and go through a DCA-like makeover. WDS has a very "concrete" theming (pun intended), but sincerely DHS is a mess of 90's studio theming with things completely out of place (like Pixar Place).

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mtlchuck; 07-11-2014 at 09:49 AM.

• Bangarang!

Re: WDS in Paris is just as good as DHS in Orlando

I'd happily take DHS with all its faults than WDS.

Sure it needs a lot of updating and refreshing, but at least its still a likeable park.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I'd happily take DHS with all its faults than WDS.

Sure it needs a lot of updating and refreshing, but at least its still a likeable park.
    agreed and it gets taken care of better then WDS. park for park having experienced both relatively recently I'll still take DHS all day long. To give WDS credit though they do have some great individual attractions but those that are similar experiences are so much better at DHS, you can particularily see the difference at the tower of terror.

Well, DHS is actually a park whereas WDS feels like a small parking lot with random rides scattered here and there. However, I recently visited both too and I was more excited by many of the WDS offerings than those of DHS. The last time I visited DHS had been 2002, and honestly, the ONLY new ride since then (12 years) was Midway Mania. There were absolutely no other new experiences (well Motors, Action... But I dont care for stunt shows that much)

You forgot that WDS has the Partners statue as well!

Seriously though WDS doesnt even begin to compsre to DHS. Yes both need work, but the Paris second gate needs it more than anywhere

Well isnt it even embarassing for Disney to have seriously updated attractions such as MuppetVision and HISTK Playground still running?

It is like going to a clothing retailer and seeing 90's clothes on the racks. Not retro 90's inspired clothes. Like 25 year old clothes dusty and discolored which are still being displayed as for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post

Seriously though WDS doesnt even begin to compsre to DHS. Yes both need work, but the Paris second gate needs it more than anywhere
    Also, WDS belongs to a company which has struggled with negative numbers and serious financial problems since its beginning. DHS, on the other hand, belongs to WDW and the US division of Disney Parks, a company which has increasing park tickets, record-high profits and robust attendance year after year; yet the first one offers pretty much the same "experiences in a nutshell", -even with considerably updated and unique offerings-, than the latter.

• Minion

Have you been to WDS? Neither park is exactly good but DHS blows WDS out of the water which isn't difficult really.

I've been to both in the past year, and as I said, even in its small size, I felt that WDS offered a lot more of new experiences whereas my visit to DHS in 2013 felt exactly as my visit to DHS in 2002.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mtlchuck View Post
    I've been to both in the past year, and as I said, even in its small size, I felt that WDS offered a lot more of new experiences whereas my visit to DHS in 2013 felt exactly as my visit to DHS in 2002.
    sure but thats an unfair comparison first off, animal kingdom DTD and magic kingdom have been getting all the attention of late, DHS will get its own updates and expansion in the relatively near future. furthermore regardless of the new offerings DHS is still a better and more complete experience. a park is more then the sum of its individual rides.

Never been to WDS, but DHS has the wonderful Hollywood Boulevard... which, while not an attraction in itself, is beautiful.

Name:  P7173396.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  28.1 KB

Well Walt Disney Studios uses groundbreaking gigantography printing technology combined with the latest in forced perspective to create the illusion of a boulevard, same way WDW utilizes mesmerizing ride-cloning and ride re-branding technology to create the illusion of fresh experiences.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mtlchuck View Post
    Well Walt Disney Studios uses groundbreaking gigantography printing technology combined with the latest in forced perspective to create the illusion of a boulevard, same way WDW utilizes mesmerizing ride-cloning and ride re-branding technology to create the illusion of fresh experiences.
    lol DHS has the same thing its called the streets of america and its hardly groundbreaking. you can't even come close to comparing a building with a forced perspective picture on the side and an entire street recreating the golden age of hollywood filled with performers that pretend to be from the time period, ending in a massive beautiful recreation of the Grauman's chinese theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    lol DHS has the same thing its called the streets of america and its hardly groundbreaking. you can't even come close to comparing a building with a forced perspective picture on the side and an entire street recreating the golden age of hollywood filled with performers that pretend to be from the time period, ending in a massive beautiful recreation of the Grauman's chinese theatre.
    Lol I was just making a sarcastic statement about Disney's fondness of the word "groundbreaking" for any technology. I am just being overall very sarcastic in this post as well.

Also I think you really mean "ending in a massive, metallic oversized hat" .

• Bangarang!

You think the oversized photos at the Tram Tour are bad, you should have seen the place back in '02.

Some one got a really good deal on concrete and tarmac.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast