Question How to survive the heat in WDW in August?

So, I really want to go to WDW and my sister is considering going but said she can't handle the heat. We went last June and I can say it's a heat I've never experienced before because I live in northern WA. But, I still had a lot of fun and want to go back. What are some effective ways to survive the heat? I need to convince her soon!

Re: How to survive the heat in WDW in August?

You will probably get some good tips if you post this in the WDW forum. SoCal and Orlando have vastly different climates, so the strategies may differ.

"I do not like to repeat successes. I like to go on to other things." - Walt Disney

• Minion

meh, its nothing really unbearable IMO. the best thing to do is just stay hydrated but if you are really concerned about the heat still they sell mister spray fans throughout the park and a lot of the activities are indoors where there is plenty of nice cool AC. tell her its not that big of a deal.

• Under that tree again!

My only problem has been drying out after going on a water ride due to the high humidity.

Goofy Donald is right on. Drink a lot of water, and try to be inside a building every now and then especially the afternoons.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

My sister went with me last summer. It reached at least 95 degrees and with the humidity, it was kind of awful. But we really enjoyed WDW. She just said it was too much. But I really want her to go back. Like I said, we're not used to that weather. We live in northern WA and it's not hot or humid here. It's a completely different climate...

• Under that tree again!

So plan for it better. More water breaks, calmer afternoons. Doing the rushing around in the morning and at night when temperatures are peaking.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Really the best thing is to not go commando on the parks by trying to do everything and over scheduling. Drinking water goes a long way as do good break out of the heat. A lot of people take breaks in the early afternoon to go back to their hotel room.

I have been there in July and had a great time. I followed these simple steps. First, I always arrive at my park about 15 minutes before opening so that I can get right in to the rides as soon as they open. Have a good plan with rides that will have a longer line later in the day and with scheduling your fastpasses. Next, If possible, I leave the park for lunch. Before leaving, this might be a good time for a water ride so you can dry off while your away from the park. I go back to my hotel, house, condo, etc. We eat lunch there, sometimes take a nap, and go for a swim to cool off. We go back to the park around 4-5 PM and finish our night off. It will start to get a little cooler when evening arrives and alot of the people that came later in the morning or did not leave for a mid-day break already left. Hope this helps.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

This is coming from a central Florida local...

Stay hydrated (with WATER, not soda or coffee as those contain caffeine and caffeine is dehydrating) - You can get a free cup of ice water at any counter service restaurant. Wear light colored & lightweight clothing. Bring an umbrella (besides staying dry when it rains, it will also shield you from the sun). If you get too hot, go into a shop or attraction (they're all air-conditioned). Go back to your hotel mid-day for a short nap or swim in the pool.

The humidity is what always gets you. There have been days this week where temps were in the upper 80s/low 90s, but the heat index would make it feel like 100 degrees. And the humidity is at its worst right after it rains.

Speaking of rain, this is Florida'a rainy season right now. It'll rain almost every day sometime between 3pm and 6pm for the most part. It usually doesn't rain long (maybe an hour), but that post-rain humidity... Ugh! BUT - most guests go back to their hotels and hide when it rains, so it helps clear out the parks a bit.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by hollyray View Post
    My sister went with me last summer. It reached at least 95 degrees and with the humidity, it was kind of awful. But we really enjoyed WDW. She just said it was too much. But I really want her to go back. Like I said, we're not used to that weather. We live in northern WA and it's not hot or humid here. It's a completely different climate...
    I understand what you mean, I'm from Canada myself. I'm just saying that if you follow those rules its not that bad, also at a last resort if you feel its just way to much cut your days in half and head back to the resort for a break around mid day. you can take a few hours off in the pool, cool off, then hit the parks again the rest of the day or you can go visit a different resort and have lunch there etc.

This is coming from someone who cannot stand the heat (and can get sick from the heat), has been to WDW several times, and survived.

- Get a map, or look up the map online and plan what rides you want to see and find out where they are. While people love to look around and take photos (which might take up some time), just knowing what you want to do and how to get there will cut the amount of time you will spend outside.
    - Try to be there when the park first opens (less wait times and it's cooler in the morning).
    - Stay hydrated (obviously).
    - Go to the restroom when you can to splash water on your face and/or before you leave the restroom get a paper towel, wet it, and place it on the nape of your neck (it won't last, but at least you feel a little bit of coolness/relief for a little bit) when you feel hot.
    - Take frequent breaks from the outside (either relax in shops, restaurants, or restrooms).
    - Any rides that have an outdoor queue try to do in the morning when it's cooler, or when there is a shorter wait time.
    - If you go to Magic Kingdom ride the Tomorrowland Transit Authority (People Mover) if you want some extra time to relax. It is outside (mainly), but there are some parts where you're inside (heavily air conditioned) and while most of it is outside, as you ride in your vehicle you can often feel a nice breeze. Also, if there is no wait time, once you get to the end ask a Cast Member if you can stay on the ride, chances are they will say yes (they always have with me).
    - If you can afford it, get a hotel room, and during the middle of your day go back to the hotel and relax for a few hours. That sounds like a long time, but honestly it will definitely help. Besides, if you stay on property you get extended hours (whether in the morning, or night) and if you go to Magic Kingdom specifically it won't really matter, because that park typically has very long hours.

I can't really think about anything else other than, maybe bring one of those battery operated small fans to help a little? Other than that, that's the majority of the things I do in order to survive the heat at WDW. Also, I like to take trips during the fall and winter, which not only feels great, but also less of a crowd.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

I'm sure you guys already have your trip planned, but really the best thing to do is go to WDW in the Spring. April and May in particular. June through September is 9am-3pm 90+ heat and humidity, and 3-6pm torrential downpour. It's insane. In late spring its like mid to high 80s, it can get up to 90 degrees, but it's bearable as the humidity isn't strong yet. Plus you don't have the summer crowds.

Since you are already set to go in August, here are my tips: get to the parks early, hydrate well, bring some cheap ponchos with you to the park, go on as many rides as possible before the mid-afternoon, and when it does pour (and it will, HARD), find a cool restaurant/eatery to chill at or if you're staying on property go back to your hotel and relax and come back in the evening.

Thanks for all the tips! I'm sure if we plan better, we will be okay. Last year was our first time going so we didn't really know what to expect. If we go, we'll be staying with my brother and I don't know where that will be yet. This was kind of a "last-minute" idea.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

The best weather for visiting WDW is January-March. Very little rain and not much humidity. It can be COLD in the earlier months though (we're talking even below 60 degrees, which is COLD for Florida) and a lot of times that cold is accompanied by nonstop wind, which can make it feel colder, but that's not every year. Every year is different. Most times it'll be jeans/t-shirt weather during the day & sweatshirt/sweater/jacket weather at night in January & February. March is warmer, but you also have spring break crowds to deal with.