Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Bird of a feather

I don't know exactly what I'm doing

Planning trip to WDW for ten days. 1/3/2015-1/14/2015. Exactly ten days of play. Four adults: 10 day parkhoppers.
    Mom and I are leaning towards the Wynham close to DTD. It is considered an official disney hotel. And it is affordable and has desirable reviews. That's what hotwire says.

1.)So we can take magical express to the hotel, correct?

2.)And after that, what? We are trying to figure out how to get around the entire resort. Monorail doesn't connect everything. And it only really accomadates the guests staying on the actual resort. Taxi's seem to be the way to go, as hotel shuttels run on restricting schedules and, as I can see online, are undesirable. We don't want a rental car. We want to see every park, but only really care about MK and World Showcase. Taxi fare adds up.

I would like a person who goes all the time to help me figure out how to manuver through what I know is going to be a nightmare. (I know we will be going to WDW during the marathons.)

Please help.

Thank you seafaring ghost and others who have helped me thus far.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: I don't know exactly what I'm doing

My first piece of advice is, if at all feasible, spring for one of the Disney value resorts, not a 'partner' hotel - Pop Century, Art of Animation, etc. Magical Express goes there and the bus system truly is the way to go, that services all the WDW resort hotels - save you a ton on taxi fare and the food court/refillable cups are nice to have also.

• Bird of a feather

Do these buses take you from hotel to park, then from park to park? (are the free?)
    Then how early and late do they run? I want to use them for the magic morining and extra magic hours.

Thank you for your timely response

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by La Caballera View Post
    Do these buses take you from hotel to park, then from park to park? (are the free?)
    Then how early and late do they run? I want to use them for the magic morining and extra magic hours.

Thank you for your timely response
    At a WDW hotel (the value ones mentioned), yes, they take you from your hotel to the park of choice (separate buses arrive for each, Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Studios, Animal Kingdom, and others for the water parks and Downtown Disney) and to the other parks/back to your hotel if leaving say, MK, and want to go over to the Studios - the driver will tell you when dropping off what number stop your bus will come to in front of the park. Use of this transport is included in your stay at any WDW resort and stops running pretty late - at least 2 hours after park closing (and the drivers will be dispatched if a park has early opening as well, at least an hour before scheduled opening I think), and a employee can always radio for a bus if one doesn't come for a while. They don't want people to be stranded.

Here's a list of the value hotels and info about them: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/#/value/

If you stay at Wyndham you are NOT eligible to use Magical Express, this is a benefit you only get with Disney owned hotels.

Once on property (or if staying on property) there are buses that run between the resorts and parks, and between the parks, so once there a taxi will not be necessary. The buses start running 60 minutes before park opening and generally run until everyone has been picked up after park closing. The Monorail can be used to travel between Magic Kingdom and Epcot, as well as the Grand Floridian, Polynesian and Contemporary resorts. There is also a boat that runs from the back entrance at Epcot, called the International Gateway, to Disney Hollywood Studios as well as the resorts in the Boardwalk area. Bus, boat and Monorail transportation is all free.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

One of the perks of staying onsite is Magical Express. Another perk is the extra hours that you have mentioned. Buses run early, and get you there in plenty of time for the early entries. I use the early entry feature a lot. The extra hours late at night don't appeal to me personally, but other people like them.

I notice you said there are four adults in your party. My 2009 trip was very comfortable when we scored connecting rooms at Pop Century. That is a value resort. We requested connecting rooms, and were so happy when we got those.

Staying offsite appeals to a lot of people, who like to rent a car, and because they can find better/larger accomodations with more room amenities. I have tried that option, and actually prefer staying onsite. Since I don't drive, I am at the mercy of the one that does. I also almost always break away from the entire party, for meandering and photo taking. Staying onsite guarantees me always a way back to the hotel.

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Planning trip to WDW for ten days. 1/3/2015-1/14/2015. Exactly ten days of play. Four adults: 10 day parkhoppers.
    Mom and I are leaning towards the Wynham close to DTD. It is considered an official disney hotel. And it is affordable and has desirable reviews. That's what hotwire says.

1.)So we can take magical express to the hotel, correct?

2.)And after that, what? We are trying to figure out how to get around the entire resort. Monorail doesn't connect everything. And it only really accomadates the guests staying on the actual resort. Taxi's seem to be the way to go, as hotel shuttels run on restricting schedules and, as I can see online, are undesirable. We don't want a rental car. We want to see every park, but only really care about MK and World Showcase. Taxi fare adds up.

I would like a person who goes all the time to help me figure out how to manuver through what I know is going to be a nightmare. (I know we will be going to WDW during the marathons.)

Please help.

Thank you seafaring ghost and others who have helped me thus far.

1.) According to Disney's official list of hotels that are serviced by Magical Express, Wynham is not one of those hotels. In fact, none of the DTD hotels are.

2.) Most DTD hotels provide bus transportation to the parks and water parks, so you're covered there.

EDIT: Though Disney's busses are much better (another perk of staying at a Disney hotel). Thanks for pointing that out Barbaraann!

3.) The horse chestnut

Well, that should help you for when the time of the vacation comes.

Although, I much more recommend staying at a Disney owned-and-operated hotel. It's just so much better and more convenient. I personally recommend the Cabins (or the Campsites, if you have a camper of any sort) at Fort Wilderness, and Pop Century, a hotel whee the various groups of buildings are themed to the last 5 decades of the 20th Century.
    Last edited by PhonyKingOfEngland; 07-21-2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Added more to my post that I thought might be helpful

"You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to."

Robin Williams
    July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Last edited by PhonyKingOfEngland; 07-21-2014 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Double Post

"You’ll have bad times, but it’ll always wake you up to the good stuff you weren’t paying attention to."

Robin Williams
    July 21, 1951 – August 11, 2014

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

Keep in mind that even though an offsite hotel claims to have bus service to the parks, those buses drop off spots are always a longer walk to the entrances of the parks. That means a longer walk at night when a person is tired. I found that true when I stayed at Bonnet Creek. Their buses ran infrequently, and if I wanted to stay for fireworks, and until park closing, I risked the chance of missing their last bus. I did not like the Bus service at Bonnet Creek. Other offsite hotels may be different.

Disney buses are crowded, of course, but at least I always knew I had a ride.

• DMTNT

As mentioned, the Magical Express only goes to Disney-owned hotels.

From my experience with off-site and DTD properties, they have a bus that will take you from the hotel to Epcot. You then need to catch Disney transportation to the other Parks.

Also, just wanted to point out the Walt Disney World Marathon weekend is happening near the end of your trip (January 8-11). Expect additional traffic early in the morning on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday as they will have additional busses moving runners to accommodate the runners as well as road closures.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I've stayed at this hotel several times back when it was called The Grosvenor. I've stayed in the tower and the garden wing rooms and I liked it quite well. It's been through a couple name changes since, but I'm sure it's still nice. I've stayed at other Wyndham properties in Orlando and those were nice too. It's technically a Disney hotel since it's on Disney property (on Hotel Plaza Blvd). The hotels along Hotel Plaza Blvd have their own bus system for buses to the parks, but it's a little different than how the "official official" hotel buses work. They're free, but like they'll have a bus that will go to Epcot AND DHS (since those parks are close by one another). I also don't think they run as often as the regular Disney buses (wait times are a bit longer).

10 days is a LOT of time for WDW. If you haven't purchased the tickets, you might consider doing at least a few of those days at Universal. The new Harry Potter Diagon Alley is really cool.

About two weeks ago we just did 4 at Disney, and 3 at Universal. And we really covered pretty much all we wanted to see at both parks. Though I did forget to do the Seven Dwarfs Ride, and we forgot to do the wilderness safari... but it wasn't due to lack of time.

Even if you are on Disney property, you can get a Taxi, or use a service like Uber to get transportation to the other part. (We used Uber exclusively while we were there, and it was AWESOME)

Just a suggestion.

• Certified in everything

I did a trip with 4 adults during the marathon in January and we did a family suite at the Art or Animation (which sleeps 6) and found it just about right in terms of size. Depends on the relationships of those in your party I suppose, but an option.

Quote Originally Posted by JCW View Post
    10 days is a LOT of time for WDW. If you haven't purchased the tickets, you might consider doing at least a few of those days at Universal. The new Harry Potter Diagon Alley is really cool.
    This. 10 days is a ton of time considering it will be the winter and both water parks won't be open. If you are for certain going for 10 days and don't have tickets yet I'd recommend Universal too (I mean, its two more totally different theme parks you'd get to see, even if only for a day!). On the other hand, if you move more slowly in the parks and realistically think you'll take 2+ days in each one then go for it I guess!
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Bird of a feather

We plan on taking at least 2 days in MK and at least two days in World Showcase(Future world looks stupid) and about one day in the others. We want to dawdle in Mk and compare it to Disneyland. Our Disneyland AP just expired in June 14. We do not care for Harry Potter. We want to ride Haunted Mansion 18 times. Look in every window on mainstreet, and eat our way through World Showcase.(FYI: we are not skipping Future world altogether though. Seas with Nemo and Friends looks cool). We LOOOVE Disneyland Resort and are extremely familiar with it. My brother will probably ride Test Track quite a bit too as he loves Radiator Springs Racers. I hope I gave a good illustration of how I wish to spend my vacation at WDW.

You are all being extremely helpful.

• Bird of a feather

Quote Originally Posted by PhonyKingOfEngland View Post

3.) The horse chestnut

The horse chestnut?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast