Thread: fastpasses

• Bird of a feather

fastpasses

We are not using mymagic/fastpass+.

Normal fastpasses are still available right? They have fast pass distributing machines next to the entrance/exit of each attraction that offers fastpass right?

• Bird of a feather

Re: fastpasses

still referring to my 10 day WDW trip planned in January. (yes, I know its during the marathons.)

FP had ended its run in January and the machines are getting ripped out.

Quote Originally Posted by La Caballera View Post
    We are not using mymagic/fastpass+.

Normal fastpasses are still available right? They have fast pass distributing machines next to the entrance/exit of each attraction that offers fastpass right?
    No, the old Fastpass system is gone, it's all FastPass+ now.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

You have to use MagicBands & Fastpass+.

Don't take everyone on here's word for how bad it is, MagicBands and Fastpass+ are actually better IMO. I feel like a lot of Disney fanatics get upset when anything is changed.

But you will just have to see for yourself. Try not to keep onto preconceived notions about the new FP+, as you have yet to experience it yourself. It is very likely that you will enjoy it.
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog
    "You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while."

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

There is an advantage to staying onsite, and one of them is you can make your fastpass plus selections 2 months before your trip. It sounds crazy, but that's the way the system is set up today. I just did this, and my trip is about a month away. I can't say, I hate it, or I love it yet, because it's my first time using it.

However, I have done the onsite stays, and the offsite stays, and for me, a person who doesn't drive, onsite is definitely the way to go.

All a person can do, before traveling to Disney World, is read up and study up as much as you can. There are many great Disney World forums out there that can help you.

I like FastPass+ better than the Disneyland FastPass system as well- it satisfies the micromanaging Type-A-Vacationer in me, PLUS you don't have to run all over the parks grabbing FPs all day long- I HATED having to run to a machine, grab a FastPass, THEN run to the secondary ride, ride that, wait, THEN end up heading back to the original ride. Way too many trips criss-crossing everything.

• Bird of a feather

I don't care, I hate the pre-planned vacation idea. It takes away freedom and spontaneuity.(sp?)

"Oh wait, I can't get a drink now, I have to get in line in three minutes."

stupid. They're changing everything to futuristic micro-managing systems. Meh. Call me closed minded. I don't care. I don't want to use magic bands or cards so they can tag me like cattle. I don't want to be on a set schedule when I go to Disney world. I want to do what ever I want. Now I have to choose between two things I hate: Sitting in long lines, or being controlled by a ride schedule. I don't even always use all my traditional fp's because I want to do something else at the time.
    Last edited by La Caballera; 07-26-2014 at 09:56 AM.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

"Oh wait, I can't get a drink now, I have to get in line in three minutes."
    You still have an hour window to arrive at the attraction for your Fastpass+ reservation. Enough time to get a drink, enjoy it, ride Haunted Mansion, and still make it to your reservation.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

I don't care, I hate the pre-planned vacation idea. It takes away freedom and spontaneity
    Actually, you can have more freedom and spontaneity with the new system. You can book Fastpass+ whenever you want, at anytime you want, anywhere in the park via the app available for your phone. It's like FP on demand. Trust me, it's better.

I hated having to walk all the way over to an attraction, not to get on the ride, but to get a ticket to come back in a few hours. What a tease.

Now, you pick 3 rides you want to ride that day, and the app gives you 4 random combinations of your selections at different times, your 3 selections at morning afternoon evening or night.

You can make reservations for anytime of day while you are there.

If you feel like changing your FP+ reservations at anytime, open the app and change them to new ones.

Seriously, you have no idea how much time you save by not having to print out a FP ticket, and you don't know how awesome it is to be able to change your FP to another attraction because you want to "do something else". Not only can you do that something else, you can change your FP+ to it and not have to wait in the stand-by line for what you spontaneously decided to do.

Every attraction has Fastpass+. All of them. So if you change your mind from your scheduled FP+ for Splash Mountain, because you want to do the Jungle Cruise, you can change your FP+ from Splash Mountain to the Jungle Cruise instantly via the app and stay dry.

While I have my issues with the FP+ system, the things you are worried about are not anything like you think, and in fact the new system is better for the way you like to visit the parks.
    Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 07-26-2014 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Added some words I missed, added some spacing.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

In 23 days, well actually maybe a few longer than that, I can critique this whole concept with some onsite experience. I am curious/interested to see how this all plays out.

We were a bit skeptical of the new system as well, but found we liked it much better than the old system. Under the old FP, you went to the attraction to get your FP. What if the return time was during a meal? No FP for you. Now with FP+, we were able to schedule ours around meals, and any other activities that we had scheduled. Another example. Under the old system, you had to get to HS at rope drop, head straight to TSMM to get a FP, and if you weren't quick enough, the return time might be 6 or 7PM. Your are in the park all day (even if you don't want to be). Now, schedule your FP+ for whenever you feel like. We were able to sleep in, get to the park in late morning, and enjoy TSMM with a very short wait. No hassles. No running. Much better for us. YMMV, but we really like the new system.