Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Re: Marvel Universe Live could replace Indiana Jones Stunt Spectacular?

I don't think it could replace Indy. I do however think it would a perfect replacement for Arabian Nights. I think it would work well in a dinner-show format. Anybody else?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    We'll all be groaning when they install the giant snowflake from Frozen in front of the Chinese Theatre.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    Does anyone know if the deal extends outside the parks to the rest of the resort? I could see something like this in Disney Springs either alongside or replacing cirque du solei. Maybe as a dinner show like the buffalo bill one in Paris
    Marvel Agreement between MCA Inc. and Marvel Entertainment Group

I do not think Disney would be willing to fork up more money just to have a live show to replace Indy. They'd need more motivation other than that. Besides, they also have Star Wars, which is one of the focuses at Hollywood Studios already.

I would think Uni would ask for a massive amount at this point to break the contract, probably over $1B. The contract between Marvel and Uni happened at a time when Marvel as a company was in really bad shape, and few years before the first Spiderman movie kicked off the new batch of Marvel movies. The popularity of the Marvel franchise has dramatically increased since then so what Uni currently has to pay to licenses it is probably a bargain. If they did get rid of Marvel they would likely have to pay to licenses a different IP to replace it. I doubt there is any other IP they could pick up that has popularity anywhere near Marvel at a price anywhere near what they are currently playing for it.

I suddenly just thought of something... Does anyone know when the contract will go out with Universal for them being able to use these characters in their theme parks?

I mean, Hollywood Studios is called Hollywood Studios now for a reason. The contract with MGM ended and the company didn't want to renew. Does that mean that basically when this contract ends that Disney can automatically get the right to have these characters into their theme parks for attractions?

•   
    • Plus Ultra

Blog Entries

I realize that the sheer volume of questions posed to members on this forum creates an "I know more than you" kind of atmosphere. Some members are very quick to google information and copy & paste the results here in an attempt to be the first to show off how fast they can google something.

However, as the OP, I was completely aware of the legal issues keeping this idea from becoming a reality when I started this thread.

It's just an idea. A little fun. All I wanted to know was if a live action arena show with Marvel characters would be something you would like to see one day replace the soon-to-be retired Indy show.

Let's just say, hypothetically, Disney secured the rights. What do you think should be added or taken away from the show to make it right for a park? What effects could be amped up with Disney imagineering and technology? What kind of theming would you like to see in/on the indoor arena that would have to replace the Indy stadium? How long should the show be? Should it be shortened or is an hour and a half a good amount of time to pull guests off the streets and out of the lines? How many people should an indoor, air conditioned arena hold?

Transformation Through Adventure

"If you go somewhere you've never been before, try something you've never done before, see something you've never seen before, that experience alone makes you a new person. You are transformed. If you go out and seek adventure, adventure itself will change you and you will be transformed."
    -Joe Rohde

PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog

•   
    • Plus Ultra

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    I suddenly just thought of something... Does anyone know when the contract will go out with Universal for them being able to use these characters in their theme parks?

I mean, Hollywood Studios is called Hollywood Studios now for a reason. The contract with MGM ended and the company didn't want to renew. Does that mean that basically when this contract ends that Disney can automatically get the right to have these characters into their theme parks for attractions?
    The contract for characters at Universal Studios Orlando never ends. No expiration.
    Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 07-28-2014 at 05:52 AM.

"If you go somewhere you've never been before, try something you've never done before, see something you've never seen before, that experience alone makes you a new person. You are transformed. If you go out and seek adventure, adventure itself will change you and you will be transformed."
    -Joe Rohde

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    I realize that the sheer volume of questions posed to members on this forum creates an "I know more than you" kind of atmosphere. Some members are very quick to google information and copy & paste the results here in an attempt to be the first to show off how fast they can google something.

However, as the OP, I was completely aware of the legal issues keeping this idea from becoming a reality when I started this thread.

It's just an idea. A little fun. All I wanted to know was if a live action arena show with Marvel characters would be something you would like to see one day replace the soon-to-be retired Indy show.

Let's just say, hypothetically, Disney secured the rights. What do you think should be added or taken away from the show to make it right for a park? What effects could be amped up with Disney imagineering and technology? What kind of theming would you like to see in/on the indoor arena that would have to replace the Indy stadium? How long should the show be? Should it be shortened or is an hour and a half a good amount of time to pull guests off the streets and out of the lines? How many people should an indoor, air conditioned arena hold?
    to answer the basis of your question, no I would not like to see that happen and here is why. first with starwars right there I don't think thats the best space for it if it were to be added. major properties/attractions like that need to be spread out throughout the park to make better flow patterns and prevent major bottle necks. a better place for it would be either in place of lights motors action or on a further future expansion pad towards the back of the park as this would draw people back there and make it a much more hospitable place especially during busy season. secondly I prefer the lucas films land dynamic that the combination of indy and starwars makes, it works well with the 'studio' theme thats been put into place in the park over the last several years. Third, I'm just a big indy fan and think it deserves a place in a park about movies due to its classic nature. I would much rather see an updated show or new indy ride then a marvel show. fourth if it was a great deal to purchase or that awesome of a theme park option then why hasn't universal put it in its completely empty IOA amphitheatre that conveniently sits well within range of marvel island. and finally I would only want to ever see this in disney if universal got rid of their marvel area, two lands of the same concept in different parks would just be rediculous and since it doesn't seem like marvel is going anywhere soon at universal i'm not a fan of the concept.

furthermore indy is not soon to be closed, this was debunked some time ago so its a bit of a moot point anyways.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post

There is no expiration. You can read the whole contract at the link I posted.

•   
    • Plus Ultra

Blog Entries

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  108.2 KB
Size:  118.7 KB
Size:  76.9 KB
Size:  69.3 KB

This is the chase between Red Skull and Captian America. The entire show, including this scene uses motorcycles, wire performers, and pyro.

-Joe Rohde

•   
    • Plus Ultra

Blog Entries

Views: 81
Size:  83.8 KB
    Cool pic of Spidey with The Avengers, staring down Loki

Views: 80
Size:  91.3 KB
    This is why it would have to be an arena.
Views: 81
Size:  94.1 KB
    Lots of motorcycles.
Size:  102.2 KB
    Lots.

Size:  109.9 KB
    And and the possibility of a Hulk m&g.

-Joe Rohde

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

If Disney really wanted to put Marvel stuff in at WDW, they could raise a big stink with Universal and make them re-do that section of Islands of Adventure. But in doing so, it would make Disney look like a big bully, which of course would cast them in a bad light. So they play nice instead.

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post

Hypothetically, if Disney could use Marvel characters, I think DHS is the most logical place to put them. The Indy stadium would be a quick way of brining in a Marvel stunt show, but I wouldn't go with the full length touring show, I think in park shows need to be shorter. With that said, if they really wanted to exploit Marvel, using that theater would lock them in to much because any new Star Wars attractions would likely go in that area since it is near Star Tours. A better option might be to take out LMA and the Backlot Tour and use that whole area as a Marvel land.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by danlb_2000 View Post
    Hypothetically, if Disney could use Marvel characters, I think DHS is the most logical place to put them. The Indy stadium would be a quick way of brining in a Marvel stunt show, but I wouldn't go with the full length touring show, I think in park shows need to be shorter. With that said, if they really wanted to exploit Marvel, using that theater would lock them in to much because any new Star Wars attractions would likely go in that area since it is near Star Tours. A better option might be to take out LMA and the Backlot Tour and use that whole area as a Marvel land.
    agreed dan, and as I said before if you have two huge draws in the same area it would create huge bottlenecks. even if you look at LMA it kind of infringes on possible space for pixar expansion. considering it will take a significant amount of time for them to get park rights for the property anyways I might want to put it on a future expansion pad where there are truly no limits to the space it can take up.

•   
    • Plus Ultra

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by danlb_2000 View Post
    I agree that building an indoor arena where Indy is now is a quick way to put the characters in the park. The LMA area is more than enough room for a large arena, and it definitely leaves the Indy area open for a Star Wars expansion.

However, I feel like the area that the Backlot Tour currently occupies has enough room to accommodate a nicely themed, small, Marvel area with a gift shop, a counter service restaurant and a meet & greet area, to accompany the arena that would feature this show. But it also has enough room for another expansion, possibly for Pixar Place, and the space for a highly desired, thrilling, dark ride.

I think this show would be a great idea for bringing Marvel characters to WDW. After the massive pay out it would take to move them, a show like this would be relatively cheaper than an brand new dark ride with a new show building, is much more interactive and entertaining for kids and comic book fans of any age, and it could gobble up 1500+ guests for 45 minutes at a time. That's a possiblity of 8-10 shows a day, providing entertainment for 15,000+ guests a day Plus those guests would be very happy to take such an entertaining break from the Florida heat inside a dark, cool, air conditioned arena for a good amount of time.

I could see this taking place in the early 2020's. By then Disney should have had about enough of Universal selling massive amounts of merchandise featuring their intelectual property, a mere 5 minute ride down the road.
    Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 07-29-2014 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Additions to provide calrity

-Joe Rohde

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast