Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

I'm going on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster tomorrow. Problem is, im terrified. Let me explain. I've never been on an upside down ride before, but I have been on all of the other Disney 'Thrill-Rides:' Space Mountain, Big Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, Seven Dwarf Mine Train, Everest, & Tower of Terror. I've pretty much been on every Disney ride, except Rock 'n' Roller Coaster.

Question time. What's going upside down like? What's it like on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster? Do you feel it on this ride? How secure do you feel. Also if there's anything else I should know... that'd be appreciated.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Rock 'n' Roller Coaster

The upside-down section really does zoom right by - expect some added g-forces/pressure but nothing painful at all, and the locking mechanism does feel very secure - similar to Expedition Everest, comes over your head and shoulders and clicks into space, not much wiggle. You won't 'float' in the brief time of the looping bit that I have experienced.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

The last time I rode it, it was so dark that it was hard to tell when and how long I was upside down. And don't expect to get any "air time" while in a loop. Instead, you'll be pushed down and back into your seat.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

Honestly, it's a pretty smooth and tame ride. After the initial launch it really doesn't feel all that fast. You can hardly tell you're upside down from how dark the ride is, and it is so short that it is over before you know it. To be honest I think The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror is a more thrilling ride. Make sure to keep your head back because the launch is pretty forceful when your initially take off, but really the rest of the ride is just slowing down and taking some minor dips and curves and one corkscrew. It's a great experience though with the music.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Rock'n Roller Coaster is awesome! If you liked all the other coasters, you will love RnRC. The music is awesome, the queue line is so cool, it's super fast and because of the centrifugal force exerted on you at the inversion, you are pressed down to your seat. There is no way you can fall out.

To understand a little bit more about centrifugal force (some people say it and it sounds like "sent-trifical"), think about it this way. If you were to take a plastic shopping bag, put a few empty soda cans in it, and swung it around in your hand fast making a big loop with your arm, the cans wouldn't fall out. The same thing happens on the roller coaster, except the bag is the coaster cart, the track is under the cart instead of your hand being above the bag, and the soda cans are you. You won't go anywhere.

Being a launch coaster, the main thing with RnRC is speed. It's fast. If you like speed, you'll love this ride.

I hope you have fun!
    Last edited by PlutoHasFleas; 07-29-2014 at 02:05 AM. Reason: typo
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog

"You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

• Adventurer

Ah, I concur with what the other replies have stated. RnRC is great! Just be sure to keep your head back for the launch, and enjoy the ride! Have fun!

The only going "upside down" is a corkscrew (not a big upside down loop). The roller coaster twists as you go through these very small loops, basically it looks like a corkscrew. I'm being very specific, because while I go on just about any roller coaster now, at the time when I first went on it, I was a little worried at the idea of riding it, and knowing the difference (between a corkscrew and a loop) made a big difference in whether I felt comfortable, or not riding the ride. However, now I can go on any roller coaster, loop, or not.

That being said, you never feel as if you're going up, or down in the seat. You stay in place. Just as you're upside down, you're right side up again. That's how it truly feels. I personally feel secure when locked in, because it goes over your shoulder and chest area.

Keep your head back as others stated and honestly, now it's my favorite roller coaster. It just looks intimidating due to how fast it launches.

• Certified DL Addict

RnRC was my first upside-down roller coaster... and to this day it's still my favorite! Hope you update everyone on how your first ride went...
    2014 Gumball Rally Team- Skyway Sweethearts
    *~Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder~*

It's a great coaster, and as others have pointed out it's VERY FAST. The initial launch will be like nothing you've ever experienced.

DisCollector is spot on about going upside down, since they're corkscrews instead of true loops you don't really feel like you're hanging upside down. And you're moving so fast and it's so dark that the effect is minimal.

Have fun, it's an awesome ride.

If you want to see what it's like in daylight, watch this video:

It's exactly the same layout as Rock 'n Rollercoaster.

As you can see it goes upside down 3 times as part of 2 elements. They take a second or two to get through, if that, so you'll barely notice it apart from maybe the feeling of your weight being on your shoulders against the restraints.

It's definitely a fun ride, but as previous posters have said, it's all about the launch.

Is Rock 'N' Roller Coaster really held in that high regard? It's mildly amusing, but after the initial launch, it's a pretty mediocre coaster, I think. When it arrives at the, uh, "concert" (AKA the TV screen), my reaction is, "that was it?" Very little bang for your buck despite the elaborate buildup.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Movie Rider View Post
    Is Rock 'N' Roller Coaster really held in that high regard? It's mildly amusing, but after the initial launch, it's a pretty mediocre coaster, I think. When it arrives at the, uh, "concert" (AKA the TV screen), my reaction is, "that was it?" Very little bang for your buck despite the elaborate buildup.
    I would say yes definitely. The queue, the theme, the story, the launch, the music, the darkness, the illuminated signs, and the unloading area are all really great.

It was a fascinating way to theme a coaster, which is what Disney does best.

Does anyone else even DO a themed coaster?

• secure all cargo

Quote Originally Posted by SilliBird View Post
    I'm going on Rock 'n' Roller Coaster tomorrow...
    So you must have been on it by now. What did you think?
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.