Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• former CM

Is this ugliness temporary?

The photo above was in Cory's update today. It's not as bad as a few of the spots at Disney's Paris studios, but this is not a nice view. Of course, the cracked walkways will be repaired, but is this "good enough" area really just fine? Maybe this location brilliantly clears the visual palate before folks see the MK's wonderful castle.

• Minion

Re: Is this ugliness temporary?

Its not as bad as that pic on Main Street where the façade just stops abruptly.

But, yeah I can see where you're coming from, its not that great a view in this "new" land.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

•   
    • Joe Rohde's Earring

Blog Entries

I would hardly call this ugly.

This photograph looks like it was taken at the entrance to the queue for Enchanted Tales with Belle, and he was facing the "gates" of new Fantasyland. To the right of this view is Belle's cottage, to the left is the Seven Dwarves mine, and behind would be the mountain with Beast's castle on top and over to the side of that is Prince Eric's castle. Highly themed elements are completely surrounding you if you are standing in this spot. I don't think you would ever notice this angle in real life. Again, if your standing here, you're entering the queue in front of Belle's cottage. You're not turning around to look at the castle. You're going to be looking at the cottage or the ominous mountain with Beast's castle in front of you.
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog

"You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    I would hardly call this ugly.

This photograph looks like it was taken at the entrance to the queue for Enchanted Tales with Belle, and he was facing the "gates" of new Fantasyland. To the right of this view is Belle's cottage, to the left is the Seven Dwarves mine, and behind would be the mountain with Beast's castle on top and over to the side of that is Prince Eric's castle. Highly themed elements are completely surrounding you if you are standing in this spot. I don't think you would ever notice this angle in real life. Again, if your standing here, you're entering the queue in front of Belle's cottage. You're not turning around to look at the castle. You're going to be looking at the cottage or the ominous mountain with Beast's castle in front of you.
    I think I remember what you're getting at but I can't quite remember for certain since I never did enchanted tales so I'll take your word. This is a very specific angle and the facade was designed so that if you're coming down either main pathway the visual effect makes it look much better however certain effects always have "bald spots" where the desired effect doesn't quite work. while i like my share of nit picking this is just an unavoidable circumstance, I thought it looked/worked great when I was there in april/may.

You know, I just went through Corey's pictures and was wondering the same thing. I know the utilidors prohibit a lot of trees in certain areas but, man, this park offers very little shade.

A lot of the models / concept art for New Fantasyland made it look like it would be covered with shade (and Imagineers talked about providing this for guests in the new area) but this is not what has come to be. This is a giant slab of concrete and you are just baking in the Florida sun. It's what makes me avoid this park in spring and summer.

•   
    • Joe Rohde's Earring

Blog Entries

If you look at where he took the picture on the map, you can see the focal point in this photograph is the transition between Fantasyland and New Fantasyland.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  175.5 KB

From the looks of the other pictures he posted, especially the one of the dirty Space Mountain, it seems like he is focusing on what average guests never see or pay attention to.

"You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post

The photo above was in Cory's update today. It's not as bad as a few of the spots at Disney's Paris studios, but this is not a nice view. Of course, the cracked walkways will be repaired, but is this "good enough" area really just fine? Maybe this location brilliantly clears the visual palate before folks see the MK's wonderful castle.
    The cracks in the sidewalk are intentional, they are part of the theming of the area. When you leave "old" Fantasyland you are passing from the castle court yard in the more rural Fantasyland Forest.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by traumwelt View Post
    You know, I just went through Corey's pictures and was wondering the same thing. I know the utilidors prohibit a lot of trees in certain areas but, man, this park offers very little shade.

A lot of the models / concept art for New Fantasyland made it look like it would be covered with shade (and Imagineers talked about providing this for guests in the new area) but this is not what has come to be. This is a giant slab of concrete and you are just baking in the Florida sun. It's what makes me avoid this park in spring and summer.
    Thanks! In fairness to Disney, I've been highly impressed with many other photos I've seen of the new Fantasyland, which is why this one surprised me. Yes, shade would be nice.

We will go in the summer for the discounted hotel room rates combined with the greater likelihood that more attractions will be open for the summer crowds. I'm counting on the Florida sun to bolster our efforts to keep our child in California till we die. (A Wisconsin winter was painful in the other extreme.)

• Minion

Thanks! In fairness to Disney, I've been highly impressed with many other photos I've seen of the new Fantasyland, which is why this one surprised me. Yes, shade would be nice.

We will go in the summer for the discounted hotel room rates combined with the greater likelihood that more attractions will be open for the summer crowds. I'm counting on the Florida sun to bolster our efforts to keep our child in California till we die. (A Wisconsin winter was painful in the other extreme.)
    throwing a nice seasonal planter with a small tree in the middle there would probably do the job nicely for the slow months. they probably just want the flexibility to open up the lane ways a little more and prevent bottle necks during the busy season.

•   
    • Joe Rohde's Earring

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by goofy donald View Post
    throwing a nice seasonal planter with a small tree in the middle there would probably do the job nicely for the slow months. they probably just want the flexibility to open up the lane ways a little more and prevent bottle necks during the busy season.
    And I think it would probably ruin the view entering New Fantasyland. I feel that a planter would take a guests view from looking up at the mountain and Beast's castle, to looking down, either to look at the planter, or to simply avoid walking into it. I will make sure to get pics and video of opposite view to see where he was standing when he took this pic on my next visit to MK, either Aug. 15th, 17th, or 18th. It will help explain everything I'm saying a little better.

• Iron-Clad Allie

It looks like a couple of gravesite markers. Is this the beginning of a cemitaty? Not exactly what I'd expect to find at Fanrtasyland.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoHasFleas View Post
    And I think it would probably ruin the view entering New Fantasyland. I feel that a planter would take a guests view from looking up at the mountain and Beast's castle, to looking down, either to look at the planter, or to simply avoid walking into it. I will make sure to get pics and video of opposite view to see where he was standing when he took this pic on my next visit to MK, either Aug. 15th, 17th, or 18th. It will help explain everything I'm saying a little better.
    that would be helpful. I just think as long as it was mid sized and not too large you could still get a nice view of the castle and some of the other highlights entering the land while also gaining the nice aesthetic some others are calling for here. I can kind of see what j cruise is saying here, when entering fantasyland forrest you want the feeling you are exiting the courtyard and entering the woodland which you don't really feel a lot right now from my experience anyways. theres no true perfect solution but I think this could be a best of both worlds response. who knows maybe when the trees grow in a little more it could help too.

• former CM

BTW, the title of this thread, "Is this ugliness necessary?" does NOT refer--not even in a small part--to the family near the center of the photo!

• Done with MC.

Quote Originally Posted by danlb_2000 View Post
    The cracks in the sidewalk are intentional, they are part of the theming of the area. When you leave "old" Fantasyland you are passing from the castle court yard in the more rural Fantasyland Forest.

Exactly. It wouldn't look very accurate if this medieval local was smooth and had new looking cement. It looks like the mud and stone you would expect in such a local.
    You'll find foot prints, horse shoe prints and imprints from wagon wheels (and other details) in the surface as well.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    . . . It looks like the mud and stone you would expect in such a local.
    You'll find foot prints, horse shoe prints and imprints from wagon wheels (and other details) in the surface as well.
    Cool! So the photo didn't do it justice. Perhaps a first from Cory's camera!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast