Star Wars Hinting & Franchise Leveraging

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/signifi...914879414.html

"During the call, Iger said when Disney now decides to build new attractions, 'the likelihood of their success is greater' when they’re branded. 'When we grow Star Wars presence, which we will do significantly, you will see better bets being made that will pay off for us than were made in the past,' adding that leveraging the collection of popular franchises and properties that the company owns for rides and experiences will deliver “better returns than we saw in the past.”

I'm all for a greater Star Wars presence at Disney Parks, but what of this turn towards branding attractions using franchises and other creative material that Disney bought, rather than truly original content. Are we past the days of it's a small world, Expedition Everest, and Test Track, instead looking to a future of Avatarland, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar? Or is there really any difference? Do you see a problem with Disney using creative material that it found, liked, and bought after it was successful, or is it no different from paying people in-house to come up with new ideas?

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Re: Star Wars Hinting & Franchise Leveraging

Quote Originally Posted by cjwestby View Post
    Are we past the days of it's a small world, Expedition Everest, and Test Track, instead looking to a future of Avatarland, Star Wars, Marvel, Pixar?
    Or is there really any difference?
    Yes. Clever backstories are no longer entertaining. It takes to much brain power to read or hear a story and think about it.

It's much easier to see Iron Man in an attraction and go "OOOHH I LUFF EYE URN MAYN! FAH-FOR-IT RIIIDE EV-UHHH!"

The internet has melted our brains.
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog

"You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

I think its a shame - you need a mix of rides based on existing things and new attractions with their own mythology and backstory. Walt dis that in the original Disneyland and I think it's the right balance.

As as I've also said on the Disneyland boards I don't understand why the parks can't be used to grow IP in other areas of the WDC by creating original things which can be spun off elsewhere?

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    I don't understand why the parks can't be used to grow IP in other areas of the WDC by creating original things which can be spun off elsewhere?
    YES! This would be awesome, and would make for truly original Disney IP and (in my mind) even more special because it originated in a Disney park.

I think, well, hope that Disney will go back to original rides and concepts eventually.

It's clear that they want to take advantage of the brands they have recently purchased and use them accordingly, but I don't think they will completely disregard the idea of creating original content in the future. They might be building for Avatar and Star Wars, but there is always the future to look forward to. So, I hope they go back to making original rides in the future.

This is no different than saying that you don't like Star Tours or the Indiana Jones Adventure --both were from Tony Baxter who felt they would be relevant to new audiences. Cars Land is yet another successful example.
    Disney can still make great attractions from scratch--just look at Mystic Manor.
    This is all more of the same--really.
    What Disney needs to do is put their money where their mouth is and build it--Look at Universal and the Harry Potter areas.

I love The Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Indiana Jones Adventure, Star Tours, Toy Story Midway Mania, Radiator Springs Racers, etc...

I love The Haunted Mansion, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, Space Mountain, Soarin' Over California, Pirates of the Caribbean, etc...

All top notch Disney Attractions. I don't have any issues with Disney having IP attractions, they belong in the park. With Disney now owning two incredibly popular franchises with Star Wars and Marvel they absolutely must build attractions around them.

But, I would hope that Disney has some original attractions on the drawing board for the future. Or as part of a third gate. A BALANCE of original and IP is ideal in the parks, and Disney above all should know that.

Mystic Manor and Journey to the Center of the Earth are two great examples that non IP attractions can be as popular as anything IP based.

• former CM

I came across this. . .

Disney planning "Star Wars" expansion at theme park - Tallahassee News | ABC 27 WTXL: Travel

. . .and other articles with Bob Iger stating that Star Wars will be greatly expanded in Disney's theme parks.

This is all Walt's fault for that cheesy "Sleeping Beauty Castle"!

I'd like the Space Mountains replaced with much larger Space Mountain Ranges featuring Star Wars! I want three or four different tracks with one as a tamer, more family-friendly ride full of amazing special effects and humor that changes from ride to ride.

And have C3PO greet guests on gay days.

•   
    • FastPass+ Expert

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    And have C3PO greet guests on gay days.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  18.9 KB
    PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog

"You are not the first to pass this way, but honestly, it's been a while." - Maelstrom

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by robbiem View Post
    I think its a shame - you need a mix of rides based on existing things and new attractions with their own mythology and backstory. Walt dis that in the original Disneyland and I think it's the right balance.

As as I've also said on the Disneyland boards I don't understand why the parks can't be used to grow IP in other areas of the WDC by creating original things which can be spun off elsewhere?
    The problem is the Parks have not been run by Walt or the likes of Walt with the creative vision since his passing and there is no innovative CEO currently at the helm. They are just managers.

• "What is thy bidding?"

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I came across this. . .

This is all Walt's fault for that cheesy "Sleeping Beauty Castle"!
    What was Walt thinking?

• secure all cargo

Quote Originally Posted by cjwestby View Post
    ...Do you see a problem with Disney using creative material that it found, liked, and bought after it was successful, or is it no different from paying people in-house to come up with new ideas?
    I have mixed feelings. When Star Tours came out in the 80's I remember thinking to myself, "but it's not Disney." I had to admit though it was a great attraction, and 2.0 is one of my favorites as are the DL Indiana Jones ride and the Aerosmith (decidedly not Disney) roller coaster.

Thing is if you think about it, Walt himself borrowed from other material. Jungle Cruise has obvious inspiration from African Queen released only 4 years prior to the ride opening, and the original Tom Sawyers Island was based on non-Disney fiction.

Granted it's not a perfect parallel with today. I mean, today they buy the rights to Avatar and Twilight Zone so they can copy the material outright. Whereas they didn't pay for use of the African Queen and call it African Queen Cruise, and I assume the copyright had already expired on Mark Twain's novels. Nevertheless, there's a certain logic to it all justifying the use of other sources, if you're of the mantra "what would Walt do."

I think it's preferable to see attractions based on original material, and I'd go so far to say it's nice when you get an original ride not even based on Disney movies. But copying other things has been done before and at the end of the day I cannot deny some of my favorite rides have a franchise tie-in.
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.