Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Minion

Should they re-show 'Back to Neverland' ?

I suppose this is more a hypothetical question, but should the 'Back to Neverland' film with Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams be re-shown in the Art of Animation tour?

For those who don't remember it..

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Re: Should they re-show 'Back to Neverland' ?

I'd like that. A lot of fond memories watching it with my daughter when she was really young. Perhaps in the Blue Sky theater?

• Minion

ORDDU: They never should have gotten rid of this cute little film to begin with. It certainly wasn't replaced by anything better!

• Pox-worthy since 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    I suppose this is more a hypothetical question, but should the 'Back to Neverland' film with Walter Cronkite and Robin Williams be re-shown in the Art of Animation tour?

For those who don't remember it..

Im all for the idea, but does the theater in the Animation building at DHS even exist still?
    Quote Originally Posted by jedimaster7313 View Post
    We'll all be groaning when they install the giant snowflake from Frozen in front of the Chinese Theatre.

• Minion

Well there's still the theatre where the CM shows how to draw a character, they could show it in there. Or if that screen is too small, I'm sure they could rustle up a temporary larger one.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• formerly very helpful

That is one of my favorite attractions from Disney Studios. It just hit every emotion and joke on the button. I don't know if I could watch it right now and not get choked up.

Thank you for posting this. I don't remember it. I guess because its been a long time. It is both cute and funny.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

They totally should. And did you ever notice the outfit Robin is wearing as a tourist is the exact same outfit the Genie is wearing at the end of Aladdin? Total tribute to the former.

Name:  Goofy-Genie.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  77.9 KB

•   
    • PotC Finger Chomp

Blog Entries

Why don't they just show it for a few months after they take out the Guardians of the Galaxy preview this Friday?

Transformation Through Adventure

"If you go somewhere you've never been before, try something you've never done before, see something you've never seen before, that experience alone makes you a new person. You are transformed. If you go out and seek adventure, adventure itself will change you and you will be transformed."
    -Joe Rohde

PlutoHasFleas: The MiceChat Blog

• Minion

To be honest, I can't see why not. After all they brought Eo back as a tribute. Admittedly I was uneasy at that as it seemed a bit of a cash in, even though it wasn't.

And to be fair, I guess it could serve as a nice, but belated, farewell to Walter Cronkite too.

No doubt there'd be the "but that's not how they make animated features these days" counter argument, but really, who cares? A lot of the information is still relevant, just the hand drawn and inking processes have changed, and they could probably do an explanation spiel to go with it.

These days, a lot of us are clamoring for the park to add Star Wars Land and the inevitable 'super-deluxe E-Ticket now with added 3D' and the like, but would it really be too much to ask that this film in shown, even in a short run?

If they can add that bizarre Frozen themed glorified merch stand and call it an added attraction, then this surely isn't out of the question?

(And yes, I know there's an obvious reason why they added the Frozen 'event'.)

Walt Disney

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I wouldn't like it where Eo is now. Kinda morbid going from one celebrity who recently died to another.

It would be great to show this again, but the animation process has changed. Most of it is digital now. There are no more hand painted cells.
    I was fortunate to see the Animation building at DHS (still was Disney-MGM at the time) while it was still a working studio. It was amazing. I signed up for a behind the scenes tour and got to hand paint a Mickey Mouse cell as a souvenir.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by aimster View Post
    They totally should. And did you ever notice the outfit Robin is wearing as a tourist is the exact same outfit the Genie is wearing at the end of Aladdin? Total tribute to the former.

Name:  Goofy-Genie.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  77.9 KB
    If I recall from a podcast I listened to quite some time ago this was Robin Williams' first foray with voice-over animation and the direct reason they chose to cast him in Aladdin. That resemblance I'm sure is not coincidental. Also not coincidental I'm sure is the sequence in Back to Neverland where his pencil drawings keep shifting rapidly from character to character.

Since they've been seemingly stalling forever on an Aladdin blu-ray, I would love to petition Disney to include Back to Neverland and all of the television elements from the Animated Tour as extras on said blu-ray.

It would make perfect logical sense - after all, the process documented here and in those television clips is how Aladdin was made. And that's without even mentioning the obvious connections between them.

And that's as long as they pretend that the later re-edit of Back to Neverland never happened. I have to admit that I never watched Martin's recording of it all the way through before this week, and the rework to include the digital paint is really disappointing. For those who haven't seen it, they used Robin's "To me yellow doesn't say 'spring' - I'd like something in a puce salmon." joke from the Tour, and it's the one sorta mean-spirited line from the tour. It worked in the Tour because it was a one-off throwaway that you walked away from. But that same line changes the tenor of the film. Plus, Cronkite's new narration sounds a bit off - like it's an impersonator or he was in bad health.

One thing I've always loved about Back to Neverland is that it never feels like a theme park throwaway. The production is wonderful, the artwork is beautiful, and they clearly spent money to get it right.

Williams to Cronkite: "Once upon a time, there was a famous newscaster called Walter Cron-cat. He met famous characters from all around the world, like Fido Castro, Mouse Tse-Tung, Mahatmouse Gandhi. Together they all formed the League of Animations. You're basically there as Walter Cron-cat going: 'Meow ma-meow, ma-meow meow meow.'"
    Last edited by brightlined; 08-15-2014 at 08:27 PM.

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    If I recall from a podcast I listened to quite some time ago this was Robin Williams' first foray with voice-over animation and the direct reason they chose to cast him in Aladdin. That resemblance I'm sure is not coincidental. Also not coincidental I'm sure is the sequence in Back to Neverland where his pencil drawings keep shifting rapidly from character to character.
    On Aladdin's DVD, one of the the directors either John Musker and Ron Clements mentioned it was a purposeful in joke that the Genie was wearing the same Hawaiian shirt and Goofy hat that Robin Williams was wearing in that film.

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    It would be great to show this again, but the animation process has changed. Most of it is digital now. There are no more hand painted cells.
    I was fortunate to see the Animation building at DHS (still was Disney-MGM at the time) while it was still a working studio. It was amazing. I signed up for a behind the scenes tour and got to hand paint a Mickey Mouse cell as a souvenir.
    I remember that sometime after the Rescuers Down Under came out, Back to Neverland was changed to include the digital ink and paint system known as CAPS (which PIXAR invited by the way). Anyone know if that was Corey Burton doing the voice of Captain Hook?
    Last edited by film975; 08-17-2014 at 09:17 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast